Brussel Sprouts - How do YOU make them edible?

parados

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 08:07 pm
Well it was a few weeks ago and we hadn't had frost yet when I overheard it.

We had a dusting of snow last night so they should be good now.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 01:51 am
Seeing all the other sprout lovers here just makes my day.

I either lightly boil or steam them, and serve with lemon juice.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 06:28 am
Butrflynet wrote:
Mmmm, brussel sprouts are one of my favorite veggies. Just some of the things I've done to them:

added honey mustard to the half cup of water used to boil them and reduce to a thickened sauce

added minced garlic to the half cup of chicken broth used to boil them and reduced to a thickened sauce

boiled them in orange juice, iced tea, Pepsi, or apricot nectar and added various flavors of sauce depending on my mood -- jams, soy sauce, butter, BBQ sauce

Of course, I then spend the next few days tooting... Embarrassed

mmmm....I really like that honey mustard idea.
I'm going to try that one.

I try to buy sprouts only when I can pick them out individually.

Then I pick the smallest ones I can. The smaller the better.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 12:20 pm
butrflynet wrote :
...Of course, I then spend the next few days tooting...

didn't i tell you to parboil them ? ...better take my advice or your moniker will be changed on a2k to you know what :wink: Laughing .
hbg
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 12:57 pm
Phhhft! I like my toots!

Ever since I had my gall bladder removed 15 years ago, just about any veggie I eat makes me toot, some just create Johnny One-Notes while others are an entire symphony!

Ever broiled brussel sprouts? I tried that a few nights ago. Mixed in some sprouts with some chunks of sweet potato, sprinkled with teriyaki and broiled until carmelized. Mmmm, they were good.

~Tooterfly
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 01:23 pm
I like the idea of roasting or broiling...boiling, not so much. If it makes me gassy, that's OK. Just as long as they taste good.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 08:09 pm
Hey, I did that honey mustard thing for dinner...it was really good.

I used a little too much water, so I just mixed in a little cornstarch in cold water to thicken it up.

I think I'll try it with honey mustard vinegarette for a little more tang.

Oh, I had it with Kashi 7 grain pilaf, which I am totally addicted to...that goes with anything.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 08:17 pm
Mr. M. will eat 'em plain. My daughter will eat 'em with a dab of butter.

I've got to have them doctored up.

Brussels sprouts with cheese sauce.

Brussels sprouts with crumbs browned in butter, with or without grated parmesan cheese.

Brussels sprouts with leeks in butter:

3 cups brussels sprouts
1 cup leeks, sliced
3 tbsp butter1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
1/4 cup cream.

Blanch brussels sprouts in salted water, then drain. In a skillet, melt butter, and saute brussels sprouts with leeks over low heat for about 10 minutes. Add onions. Season with salt and pepper, then pour cream into mixture. Stir until creamy and the cook for another 5 minutes.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 08:36 pm
Mmm. I like them boiled a bit, then fried up with some butter garlic and almond slivers.
You could lay it on greens or with other veggies if you like.

Or, roast it with cheese. Cheese makes everything good! Smile
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 06:03 pm
I finally cooked them after avoiding it as long as I could. I wanted to cook them simply so I could really taste them. I quartered and steamed them first, just to soften them a bit. Then I browned them in butter. They were fabulous! Who knew?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 06:04 pm
me
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 06:48 pm
Well...you could always compost them and use the resulting soil to grow tastier vegetables Very Happy
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 06:50 pm
ehBeth wrote:
me

I'm sorry I doubted you. :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 06:59 pm
I really really would never try to mislead you.

Are you ready to try some of the recipes now?

Your pre-browning steaming is really not that different from mrs. hamburger's parboiling prior to cooking.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 08:32 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
Well...you could always compost them and use the resulting soil to grow tastier vegetables Very Happy

I'm converted now. I could eat these sprouts every day.

Beth, I'll be getting more sprouts on Thursday. I think I'll try them with some garlic and parmesan.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 08:33 pm
Tai Chi wrote:

I'm converted now. I could eat these sprouts every day.

Beth, I'll be getting more sprouts on Thursday. I think I'll try them with some garlic and parmesan.

Now we need to address beets. Roasting seems to be the preferred method. What say you all?
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 11:55 pm
Mr. M loves borsch. That's the only thing I prepare with beets.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 12:30 am
Never acquired a taste for beets. They fall into that same distasteful category as coffee and liquor and hot peppers for me.

On the other hand, I love very strong, spicy cinnamon, garlic, onions and curry powders.

Wonder if they all have a common chemical element or tastebud location on the tongue.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 02:18 am
Simply boiling/steaming will do it for me!

I LOVE brussel sprouts!

Can't you just send them over to me?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 11:22 am
Borscht is good - hot or cold - with sour cream or yoghurt dolloped on top. With a good hearty rye bread on the side.

Roasted beets are nice as part of a roasted root vegetable side dish - or on their own. Because of all their sugar, they caramelize/candy nicely.

Then there's my favourite - beets as part of a northern German/Baltic sweet and sour herring salad. One of the best things hamburger makes.
0 Replies