Brussel Sprouts - How do YOU make them edible?

Swimpy

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:15 pm
I joined a community supported agriculture deal. Every couple of weeks I get a box of fresh veggies from the farm. so far they have been fantastic. This week, I've been warned, the box will include brussel sprouts. UGh, brussel sprouts! The memories from my childhood are coming back and their not good. I know there must be a way to cook them that makes them into something wonderful. There must be.

Mustn't there?

Do you know how to make them good? Please tell me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 10,243 • Replies: 97
No top replies

Letty

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:22 pm
Hey, Swimp. I steam them and then pour lots of lemon butter sauce over them when serving. I love 'em
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:24 pm
Brussel sprouts, one of my favorite vegetables. Just cook the in water as you would any other vegetable
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:28 pm
I love Brussel Sprouts (now that I know undercooking is better than overcooking)

I can recommend anything by this recipezaar poster

http://www.recipezaar.com/187814

and then there's this one

http://www.recipezaar.com/48537

which is recommended by someone whose recipes I often follow at another site
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 05:27 pm
Letty, Butter makes everything better.

Au, I would need something more, I'm afraid.

Beth, That first one sounds promising. I like the idea of sauteing the buggers rather than boiling or steaming. the second recipe is similar to one that I found on Cook's Country. I'd need to substitute turkey bacon, but that's doable.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 05:29 pm
I slice them thin and cold for a salad green.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 05:33 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I slice them thin and cold for a salad green.

Raw or cooked?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 05:34 pm
Raw, baby...
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 05:34 pm
I only use the smaller ones. The large ones are more bitter. Also, I add a bit of sugar to the water as they boil. Do not overcook. They should be tender and a bit sweet.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 05:39 pm
mrs h always 'par-boils' brussel sprouts , pours off the water , puts fresh water in the pot and cooks them . they are still firm when being served - and don't forget the butter (the butter is melted in a separate pot , the brussel sprouts are drained , dropped into the hot butter and quickly tossed around ).
the 'par-boiling' removes any bitterness the b.s. might have .
if done right , the b.s. should have a slightly 'nutty' flavour .

final point ; b.s. are best if they had some frost before being picked - it seems to mature them .
bon appetit !
hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 05:42 pm
I'm not the only one with this idea -

http://www.thefoodsection.com/appetizers/2005/01/brussel_sprouts.html

though I've typically put them in a salad of mixed greens & stuff. Who knows? chunks of previously cooked red potatoes, stuffed green olives, a bit of chicory or endive, some fresh butter lettuce, some romaine lettuce - ; maybe some chunks of jack cheese.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 05:50 pm
Great idea and great link, osso.

hamburger, with the cold snap were locked into right now, I think the sprouts should be perfect.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 05:50 pm
I sometimes incorporate them into my chicken stew.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:36 pm
Mmmm, brussel sprouts are one of my favorite veggies. Just some of the things I've done to them:

added honey mustard to the half cup of water used to boil them and reduce to a thickened sauce

added minced garlic to the half cup of chicken broth used to boil them and reduced to a thickened sauce

boiled them in orange juice, iced tea, Pepsi, or apricot nectar and added various flavors of sauce depending on my mood -- jams, soy sauce, butter, BBQ sauce

Of course, I then spend the next few days tooting... Embarrassed
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:58 pm
Cabbage and Brussel sprouts benefit from a good soaking in vinegar. Actually, if you put enough on anything, it will taste a lot like vinegar. Lemon sounds good, but I haven't tried it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 07:33 pm
feed about a half paound to a lamb each day, along with hay. (They love em). Then after about 2 months butcher the lamb. MMMMMMMMMMM
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 07:37 pm
Think asian - slice them and sautee them with oil, a dash of sesame oil, and then splash in soy/tamari or my favorite ponzu sauce.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 07:57 pm
A few weeks ago when I was at the farmer's market I overheard one of the sellers there talking about brussel sprouts. She was saying how she couldn't believe people were selling them already because they require a frost to make them any good.

It appears the frost causes the sprouts to produce sugars.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 08:02 pm
I don't know where you live, parados, but it's f'ing freezing where I live.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 08:06 pm
well, dont just sit there with your thumbs up yer ass, get out there an pick some sprouts
0 Replies