How do I treat a fingernail that's been completely torn off?

AmandaQ

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2014 06:12 pm
@morgan9419,
Don't use peroxide! If you don't have saline solution and rubbing alcohol will hurt too bad, just use some luke warm salt water. The act of the peroxide bubbling actually forces dirt further into a wound and can cause worse infection. It's still a disinfectant but medical practitioners no longer use it for the same things they used to, better to wipe your table or disinfect your toilet!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2014 06:43 pm
@AmandaQ,
I stupidly was trying to unwrinkle a piece of clothing I was about to put in the dryer by whapping it sharply just to make it less of a mess to start, and did that in the wrong place. The right place? The hallway. Where I did it? the tiny laundry room. I whacked my middle finger on the open dryer door top, and may have cracked the knuckle or not; at least bruised it. Anyway it hurt, and the next day the fingernail peeled off. I put on some antibiotic salve. It all healed soon enough. I always have a small tube of that in the bathroom cabinet.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 04:51 am
I lost the nail of my middle finger as a kid but it grew back.
What happened was me and another kid were throwing stones at each other and I instinctively raised my hand to fend off an incoming stone and it hit the nail.
It didn't look too damaged, it hurt and bled a little bit but never fell off and I soon forgot about it, never bothered seeing a doctor.
However over the next couple of weeks it slowly turned black and dead and dropped off, and another one simply grew in its place..Smile
0 Replies

kerondrick

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 12:24 pm
Hello everyone!

So today I just got home from the hospital; had surgery earlier this morning. And what happened you wonder? I was unloading a dirt bike (Honda CRF 250) and my left hand, middle finger was caught in the sprocket and the frame. Fractured the tip of it and completely tore off the nail. I quickly and very loudly ran to get paper towel to apply pressure. Had someone take me to the hospital and when I arrived there, a doctor came to look at it and advised to get a plastic surgeon to reattach the nail bed so I could regrow the nail plate. I would suggest if the nail happens to get torn off to get it looked at to make sure the nail will grow back. In my case I wanted my fingernail to somewhat look normal again, however, it will take probably 6 months for a complete growth.

The finger does not look good at all atm and has been covered since surgery; many thoughts running through my head like what I could have done to prevent this and will my fingernail look normal again. All in all I'm thankful I still have the finger.

Oh and btw, this injury was not painful and it's the first time I broke a bone in the hand. The pain was very much like when your fingers go numb from a cold winter, so if you need to find an easy excuse to get out of work smash a fingertip. Ha I'm kidding, from now on I'm being a lot more careful where I stick my fingers. Razz
0 Replies

Breezar8

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 04:43 pm
@gsmith111894,
Just wondering how long it took to use the finger again? I had my nail removed and I want to play sport in 5 days - can I??
0 Replies

Sanchezcobos

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 07:09 pm
@xmystery,
Hey my nail completely came off and I cleaned it at first with hydrogen peroxide and wrapped it around with gauzes bandages. I've been doing that for two days now and my mom just bought me a cream called neosporin, I was just wondering if the steps I'm doing are so far good if you can ask your husband since he's a doctor that would be great
Wilso

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 11:26 pm
@Sanchezcobos,
That member made 1 post 4 years ago, and hasn't been back!
0 Replies