Could you please check my essay for grammatical errors?

Felton

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 09:47 am
While my family and I were driving to our new home in Tennessee, something happened to me that changed the way I looked at my life. The U-haul we were driving was really small. There were not enough seats for all of us, so I had to curl up in a small space under the dashboard. There was not very much room to move, and all I could see were legs. I felt like a little Chinese boy who was being shipped overseas in a wooden crate. I was really nervous because I did not know anyone there and I didn't know if I would make new friends or I would spend the rest of my life crying in the fetal position waiting for my long anticipated death. Another reason I was also afraid to go to Tennessee was because I had seen the movie, Deliverance, a week before. All I could hear were the cars speeding past us and the faint sound of a radio. At one point a Brittney Spears song came on and I contemplated jabbing out my eardrums so I would not have to listen to one more note of it. My family really started to annoy me too. I love them, but being with them for that long made me realize why there is a waiting period to buy a gun. It is the only reason I am not in jail right now.

Luckily, we stopped off at a Little Debbie's Outlet to stretch out our legs. When I came out of the U-haul, I must have looked like a newly born deer learning to walk. One of the first things I noticed when I went into the outlet was a Little Debbie's Monopoly game. I laughed to myself because it was the most American game I had ever seen in my life. I was happy somebody finally found a way to combine capitalism and morbid obesity. I thought the tagline to the game should have been "roll yourself into a diabetic coma". I continued shopping and found a snack I wanted. While I was in the line paying for it, I heard a woman giving weight loss advice. I thought this was really ironic because she had to weigh at least four hundred pounds, and she had a basket overflowing with nutty bars, fudge brownies, and iced honey buns. She was wearing a dress with thick, black and white, vertical stripes to make herself look skinny, but it was like a whale wearing a corset. I looked at the people around me, but nobody seemed to notice. It was like there was an elephant in the room, but I was the only one who could see it.

Even though I had been having a bad day, when I walked out of the outlet I was in a really good mood. All the things I had been worrying about seemed to disappear. This experience taught me to notice the small things in life that made me laugh. It gave me a more positive attitude and made me not take things as seriously. I think everyone has learned to do this in one way or another. When you focus on the good things, the bad things do not seem to hurt as bad. Once you have found those things that makes you happy, nothing can happen to you that you can not deal with. One day, I hope everyone finds their own fat lady in a dress.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,261 • Replies: 3
No top replies

contrex

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 10:14 am
I like your story. Just a couple of things - when you stop during a long journey, isn't it to "stretch your legs", rather than to "stretch out your legs"? Also, Britney Spears' first name only has one letter 't' in it. Why oh why do people write "Brittany" etc? But I digress.

I like the elephant in the room comparison. It is apt twice over, because of the fat woman, and the implication of something embarrassing which everybody is aware of but nobody wants to talk about.

I am not American, but I understand that there is an obesity epidemic over there right now. Also, people aren't allowed to say "fat woman", they have to say "BBW", is that right?

PS maybe you could think about shorter sentences?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 10:39 am
I like the story too.

However, when you mention the movie Deliverance, that's in Arkansas, not Tenn.

http://www.asian-dating-solutions.com/images/united_states_nice_large.jpg

I see where you're going with it, but nothings as scary as someone from the swamp saying to you "You got a real purty mouth boy"

I'm gointa make you squeal lahk uh pig....

http://growabrain.typepad.com/growabrain/images/deliverance.jpg

I know they border each other (well, a small end of Tenn butts up agains Arkansas) but Deliverance is really about the perception of Arkansas. I'm trying to think of another analogy to bring up the feelings of "hillbillies"

hmmmm.....

what's the scariest this about Tenn?
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 12:26 am
You seem to have a good grasp of English grammar. Insignificantly, I will point out that I would have used the compound-adjective construction in some of your sentences. Long-anticipated death, weight-loss advice, and black-and-white stripes are phrases that, though generally clear without hyphens, fit the requirements for compound adjectives--at least for prescriptive grammarians like me.

An example where the use of the hyphenated compound-adjective contruction might actually help avoid confusion would be a sentence such as: He ate three minute eggs. A three-minute egg is an egg that has been cooked for three minutes, where as three minute eggs are three small eggs.
0 Replies