Who are the tallest people in the world?

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 08:01 am
The Dutch Are the World's Tallest People
By ARTHUR MAX, AP
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands
Sept. 15, 2006

Most of us are taller than our parents, who probably are taller than their parents. But in the Netherlands, the generational progression has reached new heights.

In the last 150 years, the Dutch have become the tallest people on Earth -and experts say they're still getting bigger. It is a tale of a nation's health and wealth.

Prosperity propelled the collective growth spurt that began in the mid-1800s and was only interrupted during the harsh years of the Nazi occupation in the 1940s - when average heights actually declined.

With their protein-rich diet and a national health service that pampers infants, the Dutch are standing taller than ever. The average Dutchman stands just over 6 feet, while women average nearly 5-foot-7.

Ask Pieter Gijselaar about the problems of the very tall.

At more than 6-feet-10 1/2, he spends a lot of time ducking through doorways and guarding against minor head injuries. In an economy-class airline seat, he only fits in the emergency exit row. He had to have the seat of his Volkswagen Golf specially fitted and blocks put under the legs to raise his office desk.

But Gijselaar, a 28-year-old real estate agent, says he has it easier than his father, who is 6-foot-5.

"Buying clothes and shoes is not a problem anymore. You can always find stores that sell large sizes," he said. "But it's not cheap. I don't get any discounts off the rack."

Though people tend to stare, Gijselaar says being head, shoulders and trunk above everyone else makes an impression. "People don't forget me. If you meet me a year from now, you'll remember who I am."

The Dutch were not noted for their height until recently. It was only in the 1950s that they passed the Americans, who stood tallest for most of the last 200 years, said John Komlos, a leading expert on the subject who is professor of economic history at the University of Munich in Germany. He said the United States has now fallen behind Denmark.

Many Dutch are much taller than average. So many, in fact, that four years ago the government adjusted building codes to raise the standards for door frames and ceilings. Doors must now be 7-feet, 6 1/2-inches high.

For years, the Dutch national air carrier had an agreement with the Tall People's Club to give preference to club members for front seats with extra leg room. The airline scrapped the deal last year because of complaints of discrimination by more normal-sized people, club spokesman Paul van Sprundel said.

Though that was a setback, the national railway did ask the club to try out seats for new railway cars.

"More and more people are becoming aware of our needs," Van Sprundel said.

The club has a membership of 2,000 individuals and families, or about 4,500 people including children. But Van Sprundel said the requirements are minimal, to conform with similar clubs in other countries - about 6-foot-3 for men and 5-foot-11 for women.

By those standards, he estimates about 800,000 people would qualify in this country of 16 million.

It wasn't always this way.

In 1848, one man out of four was rejected by the Dutch military because he was shorter than 5-foot-2. Today, fewer than one in 1,000 is that short.

George Maat, an anthropologist at Leiden University Medical Center, cites a study done in 1861 correlating the height of conscripts to the availability and price of rye, then the main food crop. One year after a poor crop, the number of men rejected as too short shot up.

Height appears to come naturally with the territory. Two thousand years ago, the men of the Low Countries stood about 5-foot-9 - tall for the age - and were enlisted as guards for the Roman emperor, Maat said.

Average heights declined over the next 1,800 years as food supply failed to keep pace with population growth and people moved into disease-ridden cities, said Maat. He spoke from his office, cluttered with leg bones and skulls, overlooking a grassy quadrangle that is the burial site of thousands killed by plague in 1635.

Even during the 17th century, when Amsterdam was the world's richest city, wealth was concentrated in the hands of a few merchants and average height did not increase.

It took until World War I for the Dutch to regain the 4 inches they lost over two millennia.

As lifestyles improve, Maat said the average height of a Dutch man could reach 6-foot-3 within 50 years. The influx of immigrants from North Africa may slow the growth rate, but their descendants could catch up in a few generations.

But wealth doesn't explain everything. Scandinavians, who are among the world's tallest people at 6 feet, are not getting taller on average, apparently hitting their genetic glass ceiling.

"With better food, Pygmies will increase in height, but you will never make Dutchmen out of them. It's just not there in the genes," Maat said.

"Since we are still on the move, we don't know where it's going to end," he said. "It's upward, yes, but how far upward we don't know."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 35,216 • Replies: 13
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 08:11 am
My heart goes out to the Masai.

(Or maybe they weren't included?)
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 08:18 am
Oh yeah?
I always thought the Masai and the Watusis were the world's genetically tallest people. Their diets don't compare with the Western World. Maybe the study above is only interested in the Western world.

Masai: Masai are East African nomads who live by herding sheep and cattle. Teenage boys leave their families to train for war in a group; they may not marry until they have served as warriors. The tall and slender Masai live in mud houses.

Watusis: People who raise cattle in Burundi, Africa. They are among the tallest people in the world. Many of the adult males are more than 7 feet tall.

BBB
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 08:22 am
And the Dinka, of course. Mustn't forget the Dinka.

Though the average Dinka male at a particular refugee camp in the mid-90s was only about 5'9"...
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 08:26 am
Well, it's known that the Dutch are tall but yes they have the biggest rate of increasing height in the world:

Human height
dupre

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 09:12 am
I heard from a friend that the average height in America for a male used to be 5'8'' and now, with many more Orientals and Hispanics, the average height of all Americans is a mere 5'2''.

Furniture makers are still making desks and such for the average American male at 5'8'', when women are working now, too.

It's not fair! I had to have a table cut down. I had to shop forever to find a chair where my feet can touch the ground.

If someone would come up with adjustable furniture--and I'm talking affordable here!--they could make a killing.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 09:41 am
That reminds me of an incident I had in the supermarket: at the
check-out there was a short Mexican in front of me, and he always turned
around and looked at me. Finally he said: "You are very tall, may I ask you how tall you are?" I told him that I am 5'9" and he was visibly impressed.
I volunteered even further and explained to him that eating lots of potatoes
was the answer Wink

Actually, it is the grain. Northern Europeans eat a different type of grain
in breads, and baked goods. South-Americans eat predominantly corn
and Asians rice - neither grain is conducive to human growth.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 10:10 am
Wow! I thought height was a genetic thing. Hey, C.J. you and I are almost the same length. <smile> You've got me by about an inch. My sister and I did a thing once about height. It was based on a sonnet by Shakespeare.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 11:49 am
It's another one of those things where genetics dictates the predisposition/ range (5'3 to 5'9, say) and environment dictates where you fall in that range.

I saw something about Americans getting shorter, too, but it was about nutrition + health care problems.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 12:11 pm
Masai and North Europeans (Germans, Dutch, Scandinavians). This is commonly acceptable as it looks like.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 07:59 am
BBB
I seem to recall reading somewhere that people in the northern climes are usually shorter to conserve their body heat for survival. People in the southern climes can survive with taller bodies as they suffer less heat loss.

The following is a good start. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height

Beginning with Modern anthropometry and biometrics:

Anthropometric studies are today conducted for numerous different purposes. Academic anthropologists investigate the evolutionary significance of differences in body proportion between populations whose ancestors lived in different environmental settings. Human populations exhibit similar climatic variation patterns to other large-bodied mammals, following Bergmann's rule, which states that individuals in cold climates will tend to be larger than ones in warm climates, and Allen's rule, which states that individuals in cold climates will tend to have shorter, stubbier limbs than those in warm climates. On a microevolutionary level, anthropologists use anthropometric variation to reconstruct small-scale population history. For instance, John Relethford's studies of early twentieth-century anthropometric data from Ireland show that the geographical patterning of body proportions still exhibits traces of the invasions by the English and Norse centuries ago.

Outside academia, scientists working for private companies and government agencies conduct anthropometric studies to determine what range of sizes clothing and other items need to be manufactured in. A basically antropometric division of body types into the categories endomorphic, ectomorphic and mesomorphic derived from Sheldon's somatotypetheories is today popular among people doing weight training.

The US Military has conducted over 40 anthropometric surveys of U.S. Military personnel between 1945 and 1988, including the 1988 Army Anthropometric Survey (ANSUR) of men and women with its 240 measures. Statistical data from these surveys, which encompassed over 75,000 individuals, can be found in DOD-HDBK-743A.

Today people are performing anthropometry with three-dimensional scanners. The subject has a three-dimensional scan taken of their body, and the anthropometrist extracts measurements from the scan rather than directly from the individual. This is beneficial for the anthropometrist in that they can use this scan to extract any measurement at any time.

BBB
0 Replies

hustlers

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 10:35 pm
that link is cool. viewed it.

i measure 5ft 12 and well, i wonder how i got that height. i always thought scandinavians were heavy in built and very tall as well.
0 Replies

talstra

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:57 pm
@Francis,
The Frisians in the Dutch province Friesland are the tallest people in the Netherlands
Francis

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 03:00 pm
@talstra,
Thank you for letting us know, three years later..
0 Replies