msolga

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:51 pm
I'm open to suggestions about all varieties of protein, ehBeth. (In case you were wondering if I'm still strictly vegetarian, as I was for years.) I do still eat vegetarian a lot, though. I'm pretty easy about what I'm prepared to cook & eat these days. As long as it looks do-able (and is vaguely healthy Very Happy ).

I've done some (basic) chicken dishes in my claypot & am open to other suggestion. Something a bit different to my own very limited efforts to date, to see what's possible.

I used to have (back in my big kitchen days!) a Romertopf designed & exclusively used for cooking fish. (the "embedded" odor, ya know! :wink: ) and would prefer not to cook fish in my one general purpose pot.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 11:20 am
bumping this up to remind myself to buy a chicken.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 11:23 am
I'm doing the turkey in my clay pot as we speak!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 11:24 am
Save me some leftovers, please!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 12:10 pm
Set and I were talking about it being the season for roast chicken last night.

Maybe I'll get one in for the weekend. It'd be a nice treat, and we could do pretend Murrican Thanksgiving.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 03:28 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

a romertopf?

http://fantes.com/images/romertopf_01.jpg

http://fantes.com/romertopf.htm#intro

The best thing I've ever had in a clay baker? mmmm two things - a whole chicken on top of a pile of veggies with some boozy liquid - and venison on top of a pile of veggies with red wine

a bit of an odd translation, but I can yummm taste this

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Venison%20casserole%20(geschmorte%20hirschkeule)

Dinner. Tonight!
ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 03:41 pm
@JPB,
good stuff eh

I found a Mexican variant and have used it a coupla times. Good results.

yum

almost cool enough here to start using the oven again
JPB

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 03:48 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm going for the long soak. It's been...... awhile since it was used. I don't know why I don't use it more. Good stuff, indeed!
ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 04:03 pm
@JPB,
I was thinking that since it's not easy to get venison in town here, I want to try cooking goat in the clay pot sometime. I think it's got potential.
JPB

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 04:12 pm
@ehBeth,
I've never cooked goat, but it would be good that way. I've had it in Greek and Indian restaurants in various ways, but never cooked it myself. Lamb would be good too, I think.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 04:16 pm
@JPB,
ah, the famous Lamb you can eat with a spoon! Tai Chi posted a slow cooker recipe for that - it should be modifiable for the clay pot.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 04:21 pm
@JPB,
My mother used to try to pass off mutton as lamb. It might have worked if she'd used a clay pot or slow cooker.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 05:28 pm
Glad to see this thread again. I covet a watchacallit, romertopf, at least partly because I like clay stuff, and then re the way it works..
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 05:31 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
My mother used to try to pass off mutton as lamb
that would be a miracle.
0 Replies