White Coat Hypertension and Anxiety

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 02:38 pm
"White coat" hypertension is elevated blood pressure, which occurs, when a patient has his/her BP measured by an MD in the physician's office. This reponse of the BP is partially due to increased patient anxiety.

Has anyone read anything about meds used to control "White coat" hypertension, or even anxiety attacks that result as a consequence of BP measurment?

I'm of the opinion that either a beta-blocker or a benzodiazapine ( Ativan ) might be useful. However, there seems to be very little literature on the uses of these drugs for the treatment of "white coat" hypertension.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,814 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 02:46 pm
New Haven- an anxiety attack is one thing, where a person becomes really debilitated. But what's the big deal about white coat hypertension? Why would a doctor want a patient to take a pill for that? When the patient leaves the office, the BP will reduce on its own!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 02:49 pm
Quote:
'White-coat' Hypertension Not Often a Major Concern

Reuters Health

By Martha Kerr

Friday, May 2, 2003

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - "White-coat hypertension" -- a spike in blood pressure that occurs only in a doctor's office -- is rarely a cause for concern, researchers reported this week at a meeting of the Inter-American Society of Hypertension in San Antonio, Texas.

In a study of people referred to a hypertension clinic, most people who had blood pressure readings of 200 millimeters per liter of mercury (mmHg) or higher during an office visit actually had much lower blood pressure, reported Dr. Mihaly Tapolyai of the Cleveland Clinic Florida in Weston.

For people who get an extremely high blood pressure reading in a doctor's office, it would be a good idea to monitor their blood pressure throughout a 24-hour period before beginning treatment to be certain that the high reading isn't white-coat hypertension, according to Tapolyai.

Tapolyai and associates followed 57 people whose average systolic blood pressure (the top number in a blood-pressure reading) was at least 200 mmHg at office visits. But when blood pressure was monitored throughout the day using a device worn on the body, the average systolic pressure was about 151 mmHg -- still high, but much lower than in a doctor's office.

In comparison, a group of 80 patients with confirmed high blood pressure had an average systolic blood pressure of 146.1 mmHg during office visits and 137.9 on 24-hour monitoring. Blood pressures below 120/80 mm Hg are considered within a normal, healthy range

Tapolyai reported that only 5.3% of the patients with severe office hypertension were determined to have so-called grade IV systolic hypertension, with systolic blood pressures of 200 mmHg or greater more than 20% of the time. Meanwhile, 7% of those with severe office hypertension proved to have normal blood pressure on 24-hour monitoring.

Tapolyai pointed out in an interview with Reuters Health that the consequences of hypertension, such as congestive heart failure, stroke and death are associated with sustained high blood pressure -- not office hypertension.

He warned that treating white-coat hypertension without confirming that a person truly has high blood pressure may cause a person's blood pressure to drop below normal.
"The time has come to measure blood pressure with an ambulatory blood pressure monitor," especially in certain circumstances such as newly diagnosed cases of high blood pressure, high blood pressure that does not respond to treatment, episodic hypertension that affects people having an anxiety attack, white-coat hypertension or unusual circumstances like high blood pressure in the young, Tapolyai said.

Standard measurement of blood pressure is acceptable for screening and for follow-up once high blood pressure has been established with 24-hour monitoring, he added.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 02:50 pm
The problem could be that outside the office, the BP also is elevated during times of stress and anxiety. So what is the "normal BP" and how should the BP be controlled during times of stress and anxiety? ( All the time to be sure of good control ).
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 02:53 pm
These are patients, who are basically "anxious", either all the time or just when they visit a doctor.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 02:54 pm
Excellent reference, by the way.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 02:58 pm
New Haven- As the article says, the most efficient way is to monitor the patient with an ambulatory blood pressure monitor over 24 hours. In addition, the pateint might be asked to keep a diary, and to note times in the day when he was feeling particularly anxious or stressed. Then the doctor could note spikes in the BP, and determine whether these spikes correlated with stressful situations.

Blood pressure, even with people with normal BP, will spike during stress.
The doctor needs to determine what the typical BP is for the person
!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 03:00 pm
True
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 03:02 pm
New Haven- There is a pretty high correlation between people who are chronically stressed and under tension, and HBP!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 05:18 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
New Haven- There is a pretty high correlation between people who are chronically stressed and under tension, and HBP!

A person can also "self-stress" themselves into an anxiety act and high BP.

I'm still wondering about the use of Ativan to lower that anxiety and thus better control the BP.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 07:12 pm
NewHaven, as a pharmacist, I can say with certainty
that there definetely ARE some people whose anxiety
about a doctor visit elevates their blood pressure, but
how often do you see your doctor. Now, mine was
getting elevated recently but that was because I was
becoming quite certain that I had colon cancer, which
is a GOOD reason for some anxiety. What damages
your heart in chronic hypertension is that constant
backpressure puts the pressure squarely on the left
ventricle of your heart, so - over years & years this
part of the heart becomes enlarged and is less and less
able to do its job, which is EXTREMELY vital. Having a
few occassions of hypertension a year is nothing to be
at all concerned about. If you ask your doctor, he may
even be willing to give you a pre appointment sedative.
But it isn't really necessary. There are so many places
that you can check your blood pressure during the
week - at the grocery store, at WalMart, & so many
others, even your local fire dept will take your BP for
you, if you ask them to. As long as your blood pressure
is normally within healthy limits, you need not worry at
all about this rare increase in your blood pressure doing
any kind of permanent damage to your heart .. the people
that you hear about with congestive heart failure, are folks
who have had HIGH *& I do mean high) blood pressure
for years and years and they ignored it. So, it went on
untreated and that is why they call hypertension the silent
killer. You don't always know that you have it. But I can
tell you, from personal experience, if you have really high
blood pressure - you would know it - I can feel it if I miss
one dose of my medication. My internist has 1 or 2 folks like
you who get high blood pressure at a visit to the doctor.
Another aspect we haven't even mentioned which is very
important too, is that when you go to the doctor you are
usually sick & you don't feel well to begin with do you? This
may also cause an increase in your anxiety.
0 Replies