xingu

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 05:10 am
Wolf wrote:
Actually, that's not true. In 1492, people believed the Earth was a sphere. They only thought Columbus wouldn't make it to India, because they thought he miscalculated the circumfrence of the Earth, which he did. It was just lucky for him there was land in the way.

People knew the Earth was a sphere back in the Medieval Ages, when monks such as Roger Bacon did scientific experiments. They were, after all, the only ones with the time to do such experiments back in those days.

Not all people believed that. Look at us today. Many different diciplines of science support evolution but we still have a sizeable group who believe in the Bible's version of creation. I would not be surprised that a sizeable group of people believed the earth was flat in Columbus' day. The Bible says so.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 05:14 am
Lash wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if all of the "religious hierarchy" in the public sector aren't playing a group of people deliberately, because they are susceptible to believing almost anything. I doubt most of them are believers.

I had to give my outline of a persuasive speech to a class of the most conservative, sheltered people on the planet. It had to be something I cared about, so I vacillated between gay marriage and anti-Semitism. I really didn't want to be controversial, but I couldn't work up any interest in anything else.

I chose gay marriage, and they looked at me as if I'd murdered a child.

My points were unassailable. I was very patient and accepting of their arguments. Didn't feel aggressive at all.

Among their strongest points: God doesn't make mistakes. (So gay people choose to be gay.)

and God made man in his image,...so are you saying God's gay? It took everything I could do to keep a straight face. My professor and I were exchanging mock wide-eyed expressions.

Everyone in the class rejected my assertion that people are born homosexual....because if they accept that, it blows a big hole in their religion. I don't think it has to--but many of them do.

Same thing with the Big Bang theory. They fight information that threatens their religion. Almost as one unit. I've seen it up close. It's bizarre.

Actually, it is not as bizarre as it might seem. Consider if you will that most people live their lives with their beliefs largely unexamined, and almost never challenged. Granddaddy was a Babdist, Daddy was a Babdist, it's good enough for me. For those who have not been well-educated and have no tradition of ambitious education in the family, challenges to received belief are challenges to the very foundation of their world view, and a mere public-school and Sunday school education has never prepared them for that. One goes to elementary school to be filled up with the requisite facts in reading, 'riting and 'rithmatic--one goes to Sunday school to be filled up with the requisite facts about the bobble and Jeebus, who loves the little babies, every one.

With no background in debate and critical thought, no skills to learn and to challenge received wisdom, any experience of it later in life when one has "reached maturity" and become set in one's views is especially threatening. The young and devout are even worse--young people have not learned the tolerance that many people, even the pig-headed, learn through life's experience.

Intrepid, its amazing that you sneer at people for being ignorant about Canada, and display such ignorance yourself. The Memorial Day holiday originated with the veterans of the American Civil War, and therefore, might be said to resemble in spirit "Remembrance Day." The American Civil War was the first great experience of the horror of war among Americans. The Great War was the first great experience of the horror of war by Canadians--hence the emphasis on "Remembrance Day." In terms of society alone, Memorial Day, just like Victoria Day, signals the official start of "the summer season," and so remains a popular holiday. What you call Remembrance Day used to be know as Armistice Day in teh United States, and was national holiday. Then it was renamed Veteran's Day, and ceased to be an official national holiday--thereby, ironically, showing once again how little Americans (or their politicians at least) actually value their veterans.

Americans pay lip-service to veterans and war dead on Memorial Day, but its more like Victoria Day--a long weeked after which all the parks and beaches open, and now women can wear white without being laughed at.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 05:37 am
Scott wrote:
Unless you actually know what you are talking about you really should not post. Let me disprove this with one verse, that the bible shows the earth as a circle.

Isa 40:22 [It is] he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof [are] as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Nice little verse huh. Kind of blows holes in your flat earth junk.

Oh really?

Quote:
Hopeful believers in the scientific wisdom found in the Bible ignore the verse above and point to a verse in Isaiah which they think shows that the Bible writers knew the earth was a sphere. They believe that the word "circle" could actually mean "sphere," since both are round, but they ignore Isaiah's use of a different word in another verse where he speaks of a "ball." Here are the two verses:

To whom then will ye liken God? ....It is he that sitteth upon the circle (chuwg) of the earth (Isaiah 40:18-23

He will surely violently turn and toss thee like a BALL (duwr) into a large country: there shalt thou die, and there the chariots of thy glory shall be the shame of thy lord's house. (Isaiah 22:18)

The Hebrew word used in scripture for "circle" in the verse above is chuwg. If the Bible writer had meant for us to believe that "circle of the earth" meant that the earth was round, the writer would have used the Hebrew word for "ball," which is duwr. The fact that Isaiah didn't use duwr shows that he wasn't trying to tell us the earth was like a ball.

Furthermore, there exists a simple interpretation of "circle of the earth" which does not imply a spherical earth. On a hill overlooking a wide expanse free of tall trees and other hills the horizon appears as a perfect circle, 360 degrees of blue sky. If Isaiah meant to tell us the earth was a globe, he would have used another word. A circle is not a ball, nor is a ball a circle. Everyone knew what a "circle" was in those times; it meant the same then as it means today.

SOURCE

Quote:
Other passages complete the picture of the sky as a lofty, physical dome. God "sits throned on the vaulted roof of earth [chuwg], whose inhabitants are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the skies [shamayim] like a curtain, he spreads them out like a tent to live in...[Isaiah 40:22]."

Chuwg literally means "circle" or "encompassed." By extension, it can mean roundness, as in a rounded dome or vault. Job 22:14 says God "walks to and fro on the vault of heaven [chuwg]." In both verses, the use of chuwg implies a physical object, on which one can sit and walk.

Likewise, the context in both cases requires elevation. In Isaiah, the elevation causes the people below to look small as grasshoppers. In Job, God's eyes must penetrate the clouds to view the doings of humans below. Elevation is also implied by Job 22:12: "Surely God is at the zenith of the heavens [shamayim] and looks down on all the stars, high as they are."

SOURCE
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 06:09 am
Setanta Wrote:

[quote]Americans pay lip-service to veterans and war dead on Memorial Day, but its more like Victoria Day--a long weeked after which all the parks and beaches open, and now women can wear white without being laughed at. [/quote]

I don't know about you or others but I don't pay lip service to veterans at anytime. Well, you might think I do to you but I don't. I honor our veterans all the time.

And women (at least in my experience) start wearing white after Easter not Memorial Day.

Hi Scott! Nice to see you again. I hope all is well with you and yours.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 06:57 am
Everyone knows (expect, perhaps fanatics like MOAN who are totally wrapped up in Jeebus) that women do not wear white until after Memorial Day.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 06:58 am
If you do more than pay lip-service to veterans, MOAN, what precisely is it that you routinely do for veterans? Preach at them?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 07:05 am
Setanta,

I said in "my experience" it is after Easter that women wear white. I had never heard of it being after Memorial Day. No big deal.

And you should already have a good idea about what I do for the troops and veterans. You complained enough about me saying anything about my website and organization before. Rolling Eyes

And just to make it clear, no, I don't preach to the troops at all and neither does anyone that is signed up with my organization.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 07:05 am
Setanta wrote:
Actually, it is not as bizarre as it might seem. Consider if you will that most people live their lives with their beliefs largely unexamined, and almost never challenged. Granddaddy was a Babdist, Daddy was a Babdist, it's good enough for me.

Yup, if your born in a Christian nation and a Christian culture chances are you will be a Christian. I wonder what Momma, Real, Rex and Scott would believe today if they were born in Saudi Arabia to Muslim parents. I wonder if they would look upon the Christian religion the same way they do now.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 07:09 am
Check this out Setanta. And there are plenty of other sites about white after Easter. Rolling Eyes

http://boards.luckymag.com/thread.jspa;jsessionid=LeWD2h5KB-_9HXzf?messageID=39956&#39956

xingu,

Obviously, I can't give you a definitive answer on that because it is not the case with me. What I can tell you is I did some research into other religions but decided Christianity was right for me.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 07:19 am
Setanta wrote:

Intrepid, its amazing that you sneer at people for being ignorant about Canada, and display such ignorance yourself. The Memorial Day holiday originated with the veterans of the American Civil War, and therefore, might be said to resemble in spirit "Remembrance Day." The American Civil War was the first great experience of the horror of war among Americans. The Great War was the first great experience of the horror of war by Canadians--hence the emphasis on "Remembrance Day." In terms of society alone, Memorial Day, just like Victoria Day, signals the official start of "the summer season," and so remains a popular holiday. What you call Remembrance Day used to be know as Armistice Day in teh United States, and was national holiday. Then it was renamed Veteran's Day, and ceased to be an official national holiday--thereby, ironically, showing once again how little Americans (or their politicians at least) actually value their veterans.

Americans pay lip-service to veterans and war dead on Memorial Day, but its more like Victoria Day--a long weeked after which all the parks and beaches open, and now women can wear white without being laughed at.

Setanta,
It is, apparently, in your imagination that I sneer at people for being ignorant of Canada. Perhaps you could provide proof of such an accusation.

Thanks for the mini history lesson. However, I don't know what it has to do with this thread or with anything that I wrote. Are you referring to my reply to Momma Angel where she wished me a good Memorial Day and I reminded her that I was in Canada, but I do not forget our American friends who have this day?

Is this but yet another opportunity for you to take a shot at me? Your dislike for me overshadows all rationality. If it served to make an otherwise boring day fulfilling for you, I am glad that I could help.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 07:27 am
xingu wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Actually, it is not as bizarre as it might seem. Consider if you will that most people live their lives with their beliefs largely unexamined, and almost never challenged. Granddaddy was a Babdist, Daddy was a Babdist, it's good enough for me.

Yup, if your born in a Christian nation and a Christian culture chances are you will be a Christian. I wonder what Momma, Real, Rex and Scott would believe today if they were born in Saudi Arabia to Muslim parents. I wonder if they would look upon the Christian religion the same way they do now.

Never heard of a Babdist. Anyhow, given this rationale....why do we have agnostics and atheists in Christian countries? Intelligent people make choices based on knowledge that they glean from various sources. And, before Setanta thinks he has more fodder..... atheists and agnostics are counted in the intelligent people group.

My grandfather was not religious, my father was not religious and neither were the rest of my family. I made a choice because that is what was right for me. I would think that Momma Angel, Real et all made their own decisions as well.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 07:30 am
Setanta wrote:
Everyone knows (expect, perhaps fanatics like MOAN who are totally wrapped up in Jeebus) that women do not wear white until after Memorial Day.

Actually, your friends in Canada where white after Victoria Day. :wink:

Have a nice day Very Happy
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 07:38 am
Quote:
My grandfather was not religious, my father was not religious and neither were the rest of my family. I made a choice because that is what was right for me. I would think that Momma Angel, Real et all made their own decisions as well.

That's true, they made their decisions. But if a religion is to be chosen then the religion of choice in a Christian nation would most likely be Christian and in a Muslim country Muslim.

My point is if one believes in body and soul and God is the one who puts our soul into a body then God does not discriminate. He doesn't care what your religious beliefs are or if you have any at all.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 07:42 am
xingu wrote:
Quote:

That's true, they made their decisions. But if a religion is to be chosen then the religion of choice in a Christian nation would most likely be Christian and in a Muslim country Muslim.

My point is if one believes in body and soul and God is the one who puts our soul into a body then God does not discriminate. He doesn't care what your religious beliefs are or if you have any at all.

You seem to be saying that God exists. Are you saying that God does not care if we do not believe he exists or do not care that he does?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 07:50 am
As I said, I'm a deist. No, I don't think God cares what our religious beliefs are. If we are to elevate God to a higher plane then humans how can we believe that God will practice religious discrimination? If we consider people who practice religious discrimination as bad what does that make God?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 08:07 am
Intrepid wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Actually, your friends in Canada where white after Victoria Day. (emoticon removed in the interest of good taste)

Have a nice day (emoticon removed in the interest of good taste)

I already took notice of that--apparently, you weren't paying attention.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 08:10 am
xingu Wrote:

Quote:

This may or may not be true. Logic would say that it is I suppose. But, the fact is we still make our own choices in life. Just because you are brought up as a Muslim doesn't mean you have to stay one. :wink:

Quote:

This is the Oneness doctrine being preached which is not scripturally sound. I don't know why God wouldn't care what god you worshipped. There is one true God and many false gods. If you attribute God's creation, etc., to another god, of course He would care (discriminate). If you created something you wouldn't like anyone giving the credit to anyone else, would you? :wink:

Quote:
As I said, I'm a deist. No, I don't think God cares what our religious beliefs are. If we are to elevate God to a higher plane then humans how can we believe that God will practice religious discrimination? If we consider people who practice religious discrimination as bad what does that make God?

If you can't elevate God to a higher plane than humans how could He be a God? He created everything. Humans cannot do that. Trying to form God into what you think He should be is a futile exercise in my opinion. A pot cannot change its creator anymore than a human can change theirs.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 08:29 am
Momma Angel wrote:
This is the Oneness doctrine being preached which is not scripturally sound. I don't know why God wouldn't care what god you worshipped. There is one true God and many false gods. If you attribute God's creation, etc., to another god, of course He would care (discriminate). If you created something you wouldn't like anyone giving the credit to anyone else, would you? :wink:

I wouldn't, but why would an elevated God? He knows full well that there is no real evidence linking him directly to anything that's been created here on Earth. There is no real reason for anyone to believe that the Christian God is real compared to Zeus or the other way round.

If God is omnipotent, he should know that and should expect some people to worship a false god. To discriminate against people for a completely understandable action that cannot be helped is the sort of petty behaviour one would expect from a flawed human, is it not?

Come on, think about it.

What is there to prove beyound a doubt that the Christian god is the one true god and every other god is false? There is none. People are not compelled to feel spiritually connected to your god. There are contradicting scriptures, no real phsyical and natural evidence points to him as being the one true god... How can he really expect every single person to believe in him?

He can't.

Therefore, he either doesn't care or he does care and is therefore very petty and unfair.

Quote:
If you can't elevate God to a higher plane than humans how could He be a God? He created everything. Humans cannot do that. Trying to form God into what you think He should be is a futile exercise in my opinion. A pot cannot change its creator anymore than a human can change theirs.

Yet that is what people do. They form their ideal and image of God around what they think he should be. Why else does the commonly depicted form of God in art look insanely like Zeus and why is he white?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 08:32 am
Quote:
This is the Oneness doctrine being preached which is not scripturally sound. I don't know why God wouldn't care what god you worshipped. There is one true God and many false gods. If you attribute God's creation, etc., to another god, of course He would care (discriminate). If you created something you wouldn't like anyone giving the credit to anyone else, would you?

Perhaps the scriptures are wrong. Why should God care. If there is only one God why should God care if you credit creation to a God called Scalphunter or Boogieman. Is he vain? Is he egotistical? Is he proud? Is he insecure and in constant need of adulation? Giving credit to something that doesn't exist should not be something a perfect God would concern himself with.

Your last sentence shows you are trying to compare God with humans, which is what the authors of the Bible did. Your trying to make God like a human and in doing so you give him all the faults humans have. Now God is no longer a God of perfect love but a human-like deity embracing all the sins and weaknesses of humans.

Quote:
If you can't elevate God to a higher plane than humans how could He be a God?

You can't have a God on a higher plane then humans if you make God as sinful as humans. If discriminating against people because of their religious beliefs is wrong for us then it is wrong for God.

Quote:
He created everything. Humans cannot do that. Trying to form God into what you think He should be is a futile exercise in my opinion. A pot cannot change its creator anymore than a human can change theirs.

That's what the Bible does. It uses humans as a form and molds God to be human-like. Hence we see a God that kills babies, has temper tantrums, is jealous, wrathful and selfish. One should ask do I want to raise my children to be like this, like God of the Bible? Do I want to teach my kids that killing is the solution to all problems? That's what God does in the Bible.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 09:15 am
Xingu wrote:

Quote:
Perhaps the scriptures are wrong. Why should God care. If there is only one God why should God care if you credit creation to a God called Scalphunter or Boogieman. Is he vain? Is he egotistical? Is he proud? Is he insecure and in constant need of adulation? Giving credit to something that doesn't exist should not be something a perfect God would concern himself with.

But what if they are not wrong? If they are not wrong then it is very clear that our God is a jealous God and says that thou shalt have no other Gods before me. I believe that means gods like Allah, etc. If He's jealous, then that's what He is and I accept Him as He is. I think you are mixing love up with pride and ego. God wants us to love Him as He loves us and that works for me.

Quote:
Your last sentence shows you are trying to compare God with humans, which is what the authors of the Bible did. Your trying to make God like a human and in doing so you give him all the faults humans have. Now God is no longer a God of perfect love but a human-like deity embracing all the sins and weaknesses of humans.

Actually I thought you were trying to compare God with humans. I must have stated it incorrectly because I was trying to tell you that you (anyone) cannot reform God into anything other than what He is. You cannot compare God with humans. God is such a higher being than anything or anyone.

Quote:
You can't have a God on a higher plane then humans if you make God as sinful as humans. If discriminating against people because of their religious beliefs is wrong for us then it is wrong for God.

Sorry Xingu, I don't get to decide what is wrong for God, nor does anyone else. And like I said above, I was not trying to compare God with humans.

Quote:
That's what the Bible does. It uses humans as a form and molds God to be human-like. Hence we see a God that kills babies, has temper tantrums, is jealous, wrathful and selfish. One should ask do I want to raise my children to be like this, like God of the Bible? Do I want to teach my kids that killing is the solution to all problems? That's what God does in the Bible.

Would you mind pointing out to me in the Bible where it indicates that God is being molded to be human-like? The Bible says that we are made in God's image.

It seems you are referring strictly to the Old Testament, Xingu. During those times it was God and humans, period. I'm not crazy about the thought that God wiped out a bunch of people but I know that He is a just God so I don't question His actions. He made me. I didn't make Him.

If you will read in the New Testament you will find there isn't the same kind of punishment as in the Old Testament because Jesus Christ was crucified for our sins and we no longer have to suffer the punishment as in the Old Testament.
0 Replies