dyslexia

Wed 19 Mar, 2008 03:37 am
I'm guessing okie is going to vote for the white candidate because he's not a racist.
0 Replies

revel

Wed 19 Mar, 2008 04:38 am
Vietnamnurse wrote:
There are always those who will appeal to the lowest instincts...then you have someone with words that can lift all of us to a higher level of co-operation and of understanding. Those who want to stay at the lowest level will remain there.

I applaud Barack Obama...someone said it was a "speech that will be heard over and over and understood as a one of the greatest speeches" and I am paraphrasing. Jim Wallis, a minister with Sojourners, has called Barack Obama a healer. I do too.

Enough of the racist rhetoric....

Not that my opinion matters much anymore after my somewhat stupid post yesterday (wish we could delete after replies) ; but I agree. In fact I am saving the entire transcript and printing it out. Whether it was enough to keep him in the race and possible presidency is almost a secondary issue when it comes that speech.
0 Replies

nimh

Wed 19 Mar, 2008 06:06 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
no that's not an answer to my question....that's a broad statement designed to avoid the specifics of the question....

Hm, funny, seemed like it had a clear answer to your question to me. Anyway, he's reiterated it even more clearly now.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Wed 19 Mar, 2008 06:09 am
well nimh you're entitled to think as you like...
0 Replies

nimh

Wed 19 Mar, 2008 06:13 am
nimh wrote:
Tomorrow's conservative a2k talking points foretold today:

Quote:
On his radio show, Rush Limbaugh said that Barack Obama was now "the candidate of race."

An hour and a half later...

okie wrote:
Heres my conclusion [..] what has happened here is that whether it was what Clinton did or Obama did it to himself, he is now a black candidate instead of simply a Democratic candidate.

That was sooner than expected.

I also thought it was funny for Okie to first agree with Rjb, that "agreed, enough is enough" with the "hissing at each other"; only to then, just one paragraph later, write: "Of course, the Obamiacs or whatever you call them have circled the wagons, as is so obvious on this forum, and nothing will dissuade them from virtual worship of this man to their dying gasp." Beam, mote, eye.
0 Replies

nimh

Wed 19 Mar, 2008 06:32 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
well nimh you're entitled to think as you like...

Well, that very last response of his I just linked in, at least, gave as clear an answer as can possibly be, right?

Ack. Lately I've just gotten the feeling that you're, like, actively looking for reasons to feel slighted or insulted by Obama supporters. Seeking out the stuff that would confirm your notion of 'how they all just are', and ignoring the stuff that would contradict it (random example). I dont get it, it's so unlike you.

I mean, come on Bear, you're the tough guy. The guy who takes no **** but to whom it's also all water off a duck. The straight up guy, always the fighter never the victim. But for the last couple of weeks you're just, eh. I dont know a polite way of saying it. Whiny. Woe me, they're treating me unfair, those Obamaites, they look down on people like me, they dont take me seriously, poor me, they're so condescending, its all so unfair, how can they. I mean, come on! That's totally out of character for you!

Come on Bear, let's get the real you again! The guy who doesnt give a F about those who act smug. Who doesnt let anything get him down, and sure would never go on and on complaining about how unfair or disrespectful others may be. F 'em! Stand proud, stand tall, and just ignore the BS.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Wed 19 Mar, 2008 06:47 am
you're wrong in your perception... I'm not looking for anything to feel slighted about at all.... and I don't lump all Obama supporters into one group.

I don't care for obama. I don't trust him. He made an absolutely on track and wonderful speech yesterday and I acknowledged it. I just think that even though the speech was on target that it doesn't reflect his real feelings. I think hes a very slick politician who wants the White House. Period.

What I am is amused and sometimes annoyed by certain posters here who since attaching themselves to the Obama campaign are somehow under the impression that they've elevated themselves above others and will tolerate nothing negative to be said about him. Either you're with them or against them and that's all too familiar.

And I don't know exactly where I've said woe me.

I think Obama will get the nomination and lose the general. I think Hillary could have won it.

I would like to be wrong and am willing to eat crow, in fact would gladly eat crow if Obama turned out to be everything his devout supporters think he is but I just do not believe it.

the audacity of cynicism I suppose.

But don't worry about me nimh, I'm as unconcerned by the opinion of cyber acquaintances as I ever was. Or anyone else for that matter. :wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Wed 19 Mar, 2008 07:00 am
btw... I feel certain that many Native Americans might disagree that Americas' "original sin" was slavery.... perhaps "genocide for land grab" would be more accurate? I personally think what was done to the American Indian trumps slavery on the original sin meter.... although both were abhorrent and horrific deeds no question.....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Wed 19 Mar, 2008 07:09 am
Bi- I agree with you. I found Obama's speech absolutely brilliant, and positively scary. He is exceptionally bright, and has the kinds of charisma that binds people together. I think that history has faced another brilliant orator, who had charisma to the max.

The picture of him standing behind eight, count 'em, eight American flags was a touch of genius. What a marvelous piece of P.R. The claim that he spoke in Philadelphia because of its American history is a bunch of hogwash. He was playing to the Pennsylvania audiences who will be voting in their primaries soon.

He talked about the problems of African Americans. Well, I can remember when there were quotas in medical schools for Jews. I also can remember when Jews could not join certain country clubs. So they started their own businesses and country clubs.

I also remember when want ads were labeled "Help Wanted-Male", and "Help Wanted-Female". Now you can surmise which jobs were considered appropriate for women, who by the way, just got the right to vote in 1920.

I certainly acknowledge that African-Americans got the short end of the stick for a long, long time. I was in Florida one winter in the late 1940's, and saw the separation of the races. It was a nasty thing, and gratefully was corrected.

I think though, that if Obama was as progressive as he would like us to believe, he would have left Wright's church long ago. All that I can conclude is that whatever Wright was saying in his sermons was not inflammatory enough to send Obama running to a church that was less
antagonistic to the white public at large.

In fact, with all Obama's talk of "change" why the hell would he want his kids to hear Wright's drivel, over and over again, so that it simply becomes enmeshed in their psyches?

I, like bi,- do not trust Obama. If he wins, I sincerely hope that my instincts were wrong.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Wed 19 Mar, 2008 07:15 am
well Phoenix, I think Okie is going to vote for the white candidate because he's not jewish.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Wed 19 Mar, 2008 07:19 am
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Wed 19 Mar, 2008 07:19 am
dys- In the words of Jackie Gleason, "One of these days, one of these days, 'POW', right in the kisser!" Laughing
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Wed 19 Mar, 2008 07:23 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Bi- I agree with you. I found Obama's speech absolutely brilliant, and positively scary.

Nothing new here. A lot of old white women find black men scary. Even Obama's grandma.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 19 Mar, 2008 07:24 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
dys- In the words of Jackie Gleason, "One of these days, one of these days, 'POW', right in the kisser!" Laughing

Quote:
UPDATE II: Frank Schaeffer, son of highly influential Religious Right figure Francis Schaeffer, writes (h/t FPL-Dan):

Quote:
When Senator Obama's preacher thundered about racism and injustice Obama suffered smear-by-association. But when my late father -- Religious Right leader Francis Schaeffer -- denounced America and even called for the violent overthrow of the US government, he was invited to lunch with presidents Ford, Reagan and Bush, Sr.

He goes on to chronicle his father's long history of extreme "America-hating" statements, ones which never caused Republicans to repudiate him, and says: "Every Sunday thousands of right wing white preachers (following in my father's footsteps) rail against America's sins from tens of thousands of pulpits."

Yet Schaeffer, like hordes of similar, America-hating white Christian ministers, are celebrated as cherished figures among the very same right-wing faction feigning such outrage and offense over Wright's far more mild statements. White, right-wing Christian evangelical rage against America is understandable, respectable, and noble. Liberal black Christian anger towards America is scary, subversive, and despicable.
http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/?last_story=/opinion/greenwald/2008/03/18/obama/
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 19 Mar, 2008 07:28 am
ps... and if you don't know who Schaeffer was, check with any of the evangelicals here. Or ask Lola, whose ex studied under him at L'Abri.
0 Replies

maporsche

Wed 19 Mar, 2008 07:31 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Bi- I agree with you. I found Obama's speech absolutely brilliant, and positively scary.

Nothing new here. A lot of old white women find black men scary. Even Obama's grandma.

I think this is rather inappropriate.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Wed 19 Mar, 2008 07:32 am
Point taken from Bear and Phoenix about not trusting Obama. It's natural to me not to trust a politician. My only question to you both is, do you trust the other two? If so, why?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Wed 19 Mar, 2008 07:36 am
Free Duck- If the truth be told, I don't trust all three of them. I just don't trust them in a certain order!
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

maporsche wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I think this is rather inappropriate.

I agree. Old white women finding black men scary is, to say the least, inappropriate. But an unfortunate fact.
0 Replies

JPB

blatham wrote:

Quote:
UPDATE II: Frank Schaeffer, son of highly influential Religious Right figure Francis Schaeffer, writes (h/t FPL-Dan):

Yet Schaeffer, like hordes of similar, America-hating white Christian ministers, are celebrated as cherished figures among the very same right-wing faction feigning such outrage and offense over Wright's far more mild statements. White, right-wing Christian evangelical rage against America is understandable, respectable, and noble. Liberal black Christian anger towards America is scary, subversive, and despicable.
http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/?last_story=/opinion/greenwald/2008/03/18/obama/

Precisely.
0 Replies