What are the rules for adding -able to the end of a word?

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 12:26 pm
Is there any rule for adding the suffix -able onto the end of a word that ends in -e?
I have noticed that sometimes you drop the -e (believe - believable), sometimes the -e can be dropped or kept (love - loveable / lovable) and sometimes the e is kept (manage - manageable).

Can anyone explain the rules to me, or do we just have to learn each word and the spelling?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,755 • Replies: 4
No top replies

mac11

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 01:31 pm
Hi MzInterpret, welcome to a2k.

I'm not sure about a rule, but I know that the e is kept after the g in manageable and knowledgeable, etc. so that the pronunciation of the g won't change. A g followed by an a would become a hard g instead of a soft one.
0 Replies

MzInterpret

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 05:02 pm
Thanks for the welcome and the reply Mac!

And yes, I can see that dropping the -e after the g would change the pronunciation of the word.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:45 pm
I have found a great (free) rescource for English Grammar and Language. It's http://www.grammarboard.com/ipb/index.php?showforum=1, or grammarboard.com.

They have departments for grammar/language questions, a place to post your peeves, language humor, English as a Second Language, and the ever popular Water Cooler.

Hope to see you there!

General Tsao
0 Replies

MzInterpret

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:25 am
Thanks GeneralTsoa.

I will have a look at the website. Cool
0 Replies