Lets talk carrots, potatoes and onions...

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 10:56 pm
Seeing as the weather here in Toronto has turned once again to winter, my thoughts are this: Oh for local spring veggies....only 2 types of asparagus, and one type of shell pea....then my thoughts turn to the staples, carrots, onions and potatoes, so many kinds, so little time! What are your faves, and how do you use them? One of my popular dishes is a study in onion...Thai-style marinated grilled flank steak, served with a deeply caramelized onion Yukon Gold (or Klondike Rose) mashed potatoes, a spicy Thai red onion salsa for sauce, and sauteed pearl onions and snow peas as veg. What are your inspirations?

littlek

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:05 pm
I love olive oil
I love rosemary
I love onions

these make a good base for most euro-american dishes, imo.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:12 pm
mmm...nice finger potatoes, vidalia onions, olive oil and rosemary, all roasted up...(drools)...
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:32 pm
A nice roast, surrounded by baby carrots, sweat peas, Vidalia onions and Idaho potatoes.....if no one minds, sun-dried tomatoes and mushrooms, too.

Man, I'm hungry all of a sudden..... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:39 pm
I like potatoes, just don't crave them. Never really cook with them.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:47 pm
Must be the Irish in me, littlek ~ but I love'm with a roast, or home-fried for breakfast.....I'm not a fan of fries. I will have a baked spud with melted butter, chives and garlic.....even as a meal.

As a teen-ager, I remember overdosing on 'Wendy's' baked potatoes..... Embarrassed
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 12:03 am
I'm half Irish.... I do like french fries, but that's the grease talking to me, not the potato.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 06:23 am
Take some nice prok chops from a butcher that you trust (In US we often get poor quality pork that is almost like wild Boar)

Take the good pork chops and brown them
Then in a single pan slice russet potatoes and thinly sliced Spanish onions and layer these with a bit of a mix of Pennzys beef soup base and worcestershire (about 3 T) make layer upon layer, hide the pork chops in the middle and continue layering (We use a PAmpered Chef deep stir fry pan. Cover and let it steam. Its a nice cold night supper in a pan.

Its done as the onion and potato slices soften and take on a caramel color.

Salmon served with caramelized onions (need a brown tangy sauce on the salmon) no mayos or bernaises here.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 07:11 am
I think my mood inspires my food, almost as much as the season.
Although for me, mood and season go hand in hand. I can't wait for daylight savings to end tonight, so it's no longer dark when I get up to go to work, and dark when I drive home! Very Happy

This time of year, youth and renewal are my muses. Baby greens, ramps, baby lamb and young capon all make their yearly appearances.

Monday I'm doing a big dinner at work for The Brookings Institute, these things will all be part of it. Which reminds me, must go make the meringues for the dacquiose. That dessert always reminds me of spring too!! Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 11:57 am
The first question that popped into my grey matter was, "are you a vegetarian?" c.i.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 12:25 pm
Mmm...pork chops....farmerman, doin' up a mess of ribs tonight. Going to try a Chinese-style spice rub, then do the standard slow-cooked BBQ thingy. We get nice pork here Smile

Think this would be great with some grilled spring onions (the ones that look like giant bulbous scallions), and maybe some roasted purple potatoes and red carrots for colour.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 03:33 pm
what kind of a dessert is a dacquoise? is it good?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 08:13 pm
roasted garlic mashed
roasted garlic mashed

best of all my fall party casserole :

roasted garlic mashed made with sour cream and cream cheese from Mendel's in Kensington Market
layered with : squash and ginger
and: a faux spinach souffle - spinach and beaten eggs

taters topped by squash then spinach then taters then squash then spinach then taters then grated 5 year old cheddar then bake

make lots of this - even the kids will want a 2nd and 3rd serving
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 09:18 pm
Hi All,

farmerman, a dacquoise is layers of hazelnut/almond meringue, filled with buttercream. The one I'm making will be filled with chocolate buttercream, and finished with a dark chocolate ganache and toasted nuts.

mmmmmmmmm... Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 11:05 pm
ehBeth, best cream cheese in the city Very Happy Use it for my fabulous cheesecakes...
farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 05:39 am
Im allergic to hazelnut so Ill bet the dacquiose could subsitute , like pistachio ? otherwise that sounds fantastic.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 07:45 am
farmerman, you could substitute whatever nuts you like, almonds are traditional, but pistachios would be good too!! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 05:54 pm
@cavfancier,
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:53 am
@cavfancier,
Quote:
L'shanah tovah tikatev v'taihatem"

Wow, 6 years. Seems like only yesterday.

Im gonna go out to the garden today to dig up potatoes and carrots. The people who were living here while we were gone have also planted some beets and fall veggies. They will share them with us.
I just dont care for turnips much. kinda insipid when coooked. LIke eggplants.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:55 am
@cavfancier,
OOOH, OOOH I need some good ideas about how to use lemon grass. I planted some this year and there are now three huuuge plants the size of ornamental grass . Any shrinp dishes with lemon grass? The lemon grass wont make it over winter so Im gonna freeze some of them. Is that ok to do?