speaking of baked potatoes...

Mame

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 07:43 pm
do you eat the skin? I love the skin. If you wrap them in foil, they're all soft, including the skin, but if you bake them the way I do, foil-less, the skin is tough and chewy and delish.

So how do you do them? Foil or no? Butter? Salt? Sour cream and bacon bits?

How long do you bake them or do you do them in the microwave?

By the way, segue (as my sister Lisa would say), we're having our house painted tomorrow. Oh, and my garden is simply thriving now that we've had some sun.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 2,245 • Replies: 18
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 07:45 pm
@Mame,
No foil. Baked potatos are supposed to be dry and fluffy. They hold more butter that way.
Mame

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 07:46 pm
@roger,
No, no, no!!! Not dry and fluffy - moist and sticky is the best way to eat them. Don't tell me, after all that, that you use MARGARINE!!! It's butter, butter, butter, all the way!
roger

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 07:48 pm
@Mame,
Butter, of course. Moist and sticky means foil, unless I'm mistaken
Mame

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 07:52 pm
@roger,
I think it depends on the potato, spud-head. Smile
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 07:57 pm
@Mame,
I've gone through potato deprivation in New Mexico. I have no interest in Idaho potatoes, the mealy things. I admit buying some recently, but haven't cooked them yet. I like boiling potatoes, preferably reds or golds, for flavor. They don't bake the same here, far as I can tell, just are not as delicious.
Mame

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 08:09 pm
@ossobuco,
I like steaming them with the skin on. I love little new potatoes - especially Yukon Golds. Yum!
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 08:27 pm
@Mame,
Indeed, it all depends on the potato.
Around here they've taken to selling the good ones individually, sealed in plastic with microwave instructions printed on.

You can't find a bag of decent potatoes anymore, they're all hard things with green all over.
It's my understanding that green potatoes are actually mildly poisonous.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 10:21 pm
I bake a potato (no foil) in a 450 degree oven for about an hour. Soft and gooey on the inside. Crisp and delish on the outside.

LOTS of butter and salt. When the spirit moves me, I have sour cream as well.

Slurp. Getting hungry.
Mame

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 06:24 am
@Roberta,
Exactly how I like them Smile
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 07:54 am
@Roberta,
That's how I do mine, except after scrubbing and drying, I rub a bit of olive oil on them before baking (makes the skin crispy good!). Mr.Irish likes his with just a little butter and S&P. He accuses me of adulterating mine because I like butter, a bit of good cheddar, sour cream and chives.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 08:20 am
We only used to have baked potatoes when harvesting them .... ages ago: after they were harvested, a "potato fire" (fire made from dried potato leaves etc) was lit.
Done here by a kindergarden (= nursery) last year
http://i54.tinypic.com/10z3f3p.jpg

For such, you can use any variety of potatoes, just with salt and butter.

When done in the oven, I have to look at varieties ("pedigree") sold here (you don't get more than about ten out of the 100 something sold in Germany in a normal supermarket).

There are 5 (?) labels of a potato: waxy, primarily waxy, medium, floury, and starchy.

When I use large ones from 'medium', I like them with tzadziki, without skin.
Small waxy ones just with butter and salt ... and skin.
Foofie

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 10:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Years ago I thought I read that some anthropologists "sort" humanity based on the carbohydrate they eat as their "staple." In other words, those that eat wheat (pasta or bread), those that eat potatoes, and those that eat rice, as their respective staple, have some evolutionary affinity? Did you ever hear this?

It might be a valuable theory, regardless, if Germany wants to be closer to Russia for its natural gas, or if German factories would be built in Russia for its labor (rather than "import" more Turkish guest workers).
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 10:24 am
@Mame,
Potato skins are delicious.

To the matterhorn of baking potatoes, I have 2 usual methods. Wrapped in foil with a partial exposure (half wrapped) so I can have the crisped skin or slam them on the spike-mobile and then place them in the oven (careful slamming them on the spikes or it could go through your hand or wrist).

I adore potatoes, I can eat them in almost every way imaginable. With butter, without butter, with sour cream, without, with bacon, without, with cheese, without (any cheese will do), with vegetables, without, with a fried egg (yolk still liquid) or without.

A full foil bake involves then taking said potato from the foil and either placing it in a skillet and letting the skin cook up (this can be done with or without butter or oil, use a nonsticker for best results so the potato doesn't stick and become a mess) or take the potato place it on a skewer and roast it over a fire (the burners on the stove work well but you need to hold the skewered potato above the flame or it will stick to the burners).

Cook time for a baker varies according to the size of the potato.

By the way, I love potatoes, raw, baked, boiled, mashed, fried...
roger

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 01:10 pm
@Sturgis,
Any way except potatoes au rotten.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 07:25 am
Ever bake a potato on an engine block?
roger

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2011 02:40 pm
@George,
No, but back in my irresponsible youth, I gave a friend the opportunity to bake a hunk of linburger cheese on his Chevy smallblock. Just as well he didn't know it was me.
George

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 12:40 pm
@roger,
Hey! Who baked the cheese?
roger

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 01:32 pm
@George,
I did. It was an old, and dare I say humorless Army buddy who got the benefits.
0 Replies