Potatoes' nutritional pros and cons

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 04:12 pm
Most of us have heard about the cons re potatoes and obesity.
Here's an article that shows a study postulating that potatoes are part of what keep the french thin - something about polyphenol richness...

Oh, wait, the study was with canadian (I take it) mice.
Also, it's not clear if it was the research team that postulated about the french and potato polyphenols, or the article author. . but I take it that the research team did.

http://www.grubstreet.com/2014/12/potatoes-obesity.html

a clip from the article:

A team of McGill University researchers published a paper this week that includes what is likely the most shocking thing about potatoes any of us will hear all week: In an experiment, potato consumption was shown to decrease body weight gain.

It should be mentioned that this all went down in a laboratory, and it was tiny mice bingeing on the tubers. They were Irish potatoes, too, if that makes any difference. Most important, the potatoes were ingested in the form of an extract, a painstakingly prepared polyphenol-rich extract made from lots and lots of potatoes — about 30 per daily dose.

But still, the specifics of how a bunch of mice weighing an average of 25 grams were fed an "obesity-inducing diet" and some stayed thin while the others got fat are interesting. The ones who didn't get the magic potato serum gained "about 16" grams, while the ones who did gained seven. Researchers were baffled and repeated the experiment with "potatoes grown in another season."
end/clip

The french show up toward the end of the article. (worth a look, I think)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,558 • Replies: 7
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 05:53 pm
I always figured it is in how you cook them, not in the potatoes themselves.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 06:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
But.... but..... don't the french like french fries too?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 06:09 pm
That's a good question. I don't know if they eat any.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 06:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Here's a better link, which was shown at the bottom of the other but that I hadn't clicked on yet -

http://www.mcgill.ca/channels/news/controlling-obesity-potato-extract-240621

Hmmm, I wonder if people in Quebec are slimmer (and so on).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 06:24 pm
I should add that the tag system doesn't allow question marks, which I would have added if I could, re this a cause for french thinness.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 04:51 pm
I had a friend from Idaho who said he'd never been to a golf match. Never even heard of golf. I took him to a tournament and he watched very intently. Afterwards I asked him what he thought. "That's the slowest way I've ever seen of planting eighteen potatoes!" he said.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 04:56 pm
@contrex,
Loud laugh from me.

I think the bunkers probably matter.
0 Replies