Deviant Art

JLNobody

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 02:26 pm
Ambient music? Sounds like the ghastly "ambient art" (evalator painting) we see on so many hospital and doctors' office walls. Weak decorations buttressed by the use of irridescent gold and silver paint.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 02:43 pm
I have seen garbage sold.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 04:17 pm
Wiz, I agree that in "this age of Pluralism" artists need not feel pressured to identify themselves in terms of some kind of movement. Individualism is more likely a reality now than it was in the days of romantic avante garde "individualism."
I also agree that outsider-ness refers to one's position relative to the establishment. That does not mean, of course, that such marginalized work is necessarily without merit. But doesn't it's commercial viability suggest an alternative establishment? If so, the term, pluralism, would apply to establishments as well as individual artists. But that may have long been the case, e.g., the European and New York establishments.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 05:00 pm
It seems they want to represent these movements as some kind on insurgency but really we've all seen this art before. At least I have going back to my days at UCLA when one of the La Cienega galleries had a showing of art from street painters. I guess it's figured we have all become jaded towards new art so they have to put a new spin on it. We'll all still make our own personal judgement as to whether it is good art despite where it came from.

Remember the elephants who paint that pop up almost every decade?

Next is

Fauna Art
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 06:18 pm
Can't wait.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 09:12 pm
Well, at least we won't be seeing

Flora Art

until they can teach plants to paint.

Hmm... I guess they could tie a paint brush to a tree limb, fill it with paint and wait for a wind to come along. Of course, it would be a problem securing the canvas (makes a great sail -- I know 'cause I once tried to move a huge abstract and when the wind kicked up we ended up two blocks South).
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 01:36 am
Van Gogh
Love, love the artist Van Gogh!

From the poetry book "Outsiders", a poem to Van Gogh.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

John Haines

On a Certain Field in Auvers

"There is something in my heart..."
Van Gogh

I
On the road to Hallucination,
pass the yellow house
that is the house of friendship,
but also the color of madness...

Stand by the roadside, braced
in the punishing wind that blows
on that field and another...
In the red dust of evening,
ask yourself these questions:

"Who made the sun, strenuous
and burning?"
It was I.

"And the cypress, a green torrent
in the nightwind?"

It was I.

"And the clock of evening, coiled
like a spring?...Who turned
the stars in their sockets
and set them to spinning?"

It was I.

On the road to the Night Cafe,
where the light from a door
that is always open
spills over cobbles and tables;

Where the pipesmoker calmed
his fury, a yellow chair
in which no one is sitting...

It is no one. It is I.

II
I, who never for one hour
forgot how the light seizes
both field and striding sower;
who held my hand steady
in the solar flame, and drank
for my thirst the fiery
mineral spirit of the earth.

Who remembered always, even
in the blistering south,
a cellar in the north
where a handful of stunted
people peeled their substance
day by day, and all their
dumb and patient misery
steeped in cold green light.

On the road to the hospital
built of the great stones
of sorrow, and furnished
with chains and pillows...
In the red dust of evening
the Angelus is ringing.

And out among the haystacks,
strange at this late hour,
a light, both moving and still,
as if someone there was
turning, a ring of candles
burning in his hatbrim...

It is...no one.

III
In the Asylum of Saint-Rémy,
that is also the burnt field
of Auvers; at the graveside
of two distracted brothers

On this one day in July
we speak the rites for all
torn and departed souls.

And we hope that with
a hundred years of practice
we have learned to speak
the appropriate words:

"In the country of the deaf
a one-eared man was king...

"In the name of the poor,
and of the holy insane,
and the great light of the sun."
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 01:54 am
My poem to Van Gogh
*Deleted*

Here is the painting:

http://www.vangoghgallery.com/painting/p_0467.htm

AE
0 Replies

filipe

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:01 am
AngeliqueEast wrote:
Just get a good English/French dictionary and you will be alright filipe.

Confused I'me not so sure !

AngeliqueEast wrote:
I enjoyed your website, I see color is important to you. One of your works would make a nice colorful av (avatar) for your profile.

thank's ! In a few days, I'me going to have another one - a new one, with more paintings, and more beautiful. When it will be on line, I'll send you the URL and changed it on the profil !

AngeliqueEast wrote:
I think we should just enjoy art. Sometimes we make things too complicated. We either like something or don't.

AE

Oh yes !
personnaly, I work, and people around me explain - I'me not able to explain my paintings. I certainly could explain it, but I'me too lazzy ! :wink:
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 09:16 am
Yes, felipe do tell me when you have created the new website, and you have entered it in your profile. Looking forward to seeing your new art work.

AE
0 Replies

soapjester

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 04:30 pm
Deviant art name
here is the story behind deviantART's development from one of the original creators http://spyed.deviantart.com/journal/609173/

Might help a bit more with the speculation.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 09:25 am
I officially hate deviant art.

I'm low on money, so I signed up hoping to make a bit of cash.

First of all, you have to pay $30 to set up a print account.

Secondly, there is a high base fee that you have to pay per print sold, and after that they take half of any profit you would have made.

Thirdly, no one buys any prints there anymore because its a teenager talk about your angsty feelings and make it into art site.

money lost. Oh, and their prints are crap. You have to have a certain ratio and they print it at 100 dpi.
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 01:50 am
I looooove deviant art, although it IS packed with tweenies and the standard of the work is very low. It isn't meant to be about professional art! It's about community and, to a lesser extent, encouraging beginners and amateurs to continue with their artistic development.

Laughing and Razz to Portal Star. YOu shouldn't have set up an account without doing basic market research. If you want to sell on dA, market to teenagers, not fine artists. Become a different type of whore AND stop looking down on your potential customers. YOu are so arrogant that i constantly want to kick you in the teeth, which is why i generally avoid the art forum on A2K. Perhaps that's not such a loss, but if your potential consumers have the same feeling towards you, it'll likely effect your chances of them buying your prints.

The idea of making money off deviant art ( without being a webdesigner) seems quite ludicrous. I figured all those extras were just to con inexperienced kids out of their money. SOme of the deviants ( lol, like there's anything even slightly deviant about deviant art) who know their market and have established a fanbase , might manage to make a little, but generally, it doesn't seem worth it. Also, concept is at least as important to the deviants as other the works aesthetic quality. IF you want to succeed at dA, perhaps you should think more about what a 14 year old's concern and interests are. Also, look around more at the favourites, and alter your work to fit the client's tastes. Even then, you aren't likely to earn much money on dA because a) most kids don't have that much money AND b) if you were interested in obtaining prints of dA works, you can print the pieces off dA that are at least as nice using your printer.

I don't think the amount of whoredom it would take to succeed at selling your work on dA is likely to be worth it. Fine art should be sold to people who know what they are looking at, not teenagers looking for a piece that sums up their depression or a pretty girl in a bikini with a small animal and breasts at least 3 times the size of her head. Very Happy
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 01:50 am
IF you have the time to look around, though , there is some stunning fine art on dA.
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 01:51 am
AND it's a great place to go for inspiration if you're having trouble coming up with creative ideas.
0 Replies