Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

wandeljw

Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:27 pm
wandeljw wrote:
From Kenneth Miller's website, a graphic showing the difference between the design argument and the natural selection argument:

http://www.millerandlevine.com/km/evol/design1/two-models.jpg

Miller then shows how at least four components of the bacteria flagellum have selectable functions:

http://www.millerandlevine.com/km/evol/design1/other-functions.jpg

Scientific literature on the flagellum indicates its evolution can be explained by natural selection.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 07:46 am
Gee wande-

"Indicates","Can".

What a sentence to conjure with.

Scientific literature on the addiction to oil indicates its evolution can be explained by conspicuous consumption running wild which is somewhat more relevant that the poor little flagellum.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 07:50 am
Quote:
Scientific literature on the addiction to oil indicates its evolution can be explained by conspicuous consumption running wild which is somewhat more relevant that the poor little flagellum.

PHWEET!!!. Illegal use of modifiers in and out of context., compounded by a dangaling flagellum
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 07:58 am
spendi,

The graphics specifically relate to intelligent design's challenge to natural selection. Intelligent design proponents state that the complexity of some organisms indicate that they could not have evolved through the mechanism of natural selection. The favorite example of ID proponents is bacterium flagella. Kenneth Miller maintains that researchers in biochemistry have shown that components of the flagella are "selectable" and therefore natural selection is an appropriate explanation for the evolution of flagella.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 07:59 am
fm-

I was only using similar words to those wande used to show how an effect can be produced in a reader's mind which is not necessarily valid.

I could easily have used "proves" instead of "indicates" and "is" instead of "can" if I had wished to engage in propaganda in imitation of SDers.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:05 am
wandeljw wrote:
spendi,

The graphics specifically relate to intelligent design's challenge to natural selection. Intelligent design proponents state that the complexity of some organisms indicate that they could not have evolved through the mechanism of natural selection. The favorite example of ID proponents is bacterium flagella. Kenneth Miller maintains that researchers in biochemistry have shown that components of the flagella are "selectable" and therefore natural selection is an appropriate explanation for the evolution of flagella.

Does the above clarify what I was trying to say earlier?
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:19 am
Quote:
spendi,

Does the above clarify what I was trying to say earlier?

Don't be so daft wande.

I've been pondering for the last 10 minutes how to approach your statements.

I arrived at the idea that to do so would be similar to arguing with a warehouse full of kapok.

I defy you to read the last sentence to an average voter,your wife say,and then set a comprehension test on it.If it is your wife I would expect her to make you a cup of tea and sit you down in a quiet room.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:35 am
My wife is a biostatistician with a doctorate in public health. She understands science much better than I do.

My discussion of bacterium flagella is a continuation of my earlier posts about William Dembski. Dembski, in a recent lecture, is still using bacterium flagella to support his intelligent design hypothesis.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:51 am
wande-

Well Dembski's just a bloke with a boat to row.He seems to be doing well at it.

This argument seems to me to proceed along lines where both sides discredit themselves with every utterance they make.

This is to be expected of course when the social function side of things is ignored.The reason it is ignored is because it moves into areas where a nation that has a mass freak-out at a brief glimpse of an asexual tit at the Superbowl is not ready to discuss.

But whilst ID theologians are not prepared to discuss such matters one cannot assume they are ignorant of them.

What flagella have to do with human social organisation and its drive for success I cannot imagine.

Does your wife read this thread?Public health is a function of economic success.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 09:16 am
spendius wrote:
What flagella have to do with human social organisation and its drive for success I cannot imagine.

Flagella has been used to illustrate the intelligent design hypothesis. This thread is about intelligent design, not human social organisation.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 09:22 am
In that case why are the courts involved?The precise function of courts is to arbitrate human social organisation.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 09:29 am
The courts have specifically addressed the issue of whether intelligent design can be considered science (again, this would be more relevant to the topic of this thread).
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 09:34 am
hee hee hee.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 09:51 am
wande said-

Quote:
This thread is about intelligent design, not human social organisation.

So I said-

Quote:
In that case why are the courts involved?The precise function of courts is to arbitrate human social organisation.

So wande said-

Quote:
The courts have specifically addressed the issue of whether intelligent design can be considered science (again, this would be more relevant to the topic of this thread).

So fm said-

Quote:
hee hee hee.

Agreed fm.It's bloody hilarious actually.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 04:40 pm
we finally agree.
0 Replies

patiodog

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 04:51 pm
you agree with finality?

shocking.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 21 Feb, 2006 07:05 pm
It has certainly shocked me.And I have read a report today that suggests that some official circles are of a similar mind.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 22 Feb, 2006 08:00 am
fresco wrote on another forum-

Quote:
For example, when discussing "reality" philosophers might use the term "hold a belief" as though "belief" were an "object" held by " a believer". This erroneosly extends the normal (everyday) boundaries of the word "hold" from the physical to the mental. It might follow then that "belief in God" is not an "acquisition", but a "modus operandi" and to discuss the "existence of God" with a believer makes no more sense than discussing the existence of "water" with a fish. To ask for "evidence of God" from a believer, is a "category mistake" (Ryle) like an uninformed tourist who asks "but where is the university" having been shown round the colleges and libraries in Oxford. For a believer "life itself" is "evidence of God". As an atheist I can merely dispute the necessity[/i ]or social consequences of universities/gods but not their "social reality".

Quoted with his kind permission.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 22 Feb, 2006 08:19 am
Quote:
It has certainly shocked me.And I have read a report today that suggests that some official circles are of a similar mind.

This is the paragraph I referred to-

Quote:
In desperation British and German leaders turned last week to the new "multi-polars", Russia and China, for help with Tehran. This suggests a world moving towards new axes, seeking new leadership and distancing itself from American myopia. The spectacle is similar to the free world's isolation of the Russian Comintern in the mid-20th century.

It is from an article by Simon Jenkins in last weekend's Sunday Times.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 22 Feb, 2006 09:26 am
Quote:
Dover ID bill: $1M
(York Daily Record, Feb 22, 2006)

The Dover Area school board voted Tuesday night to pay $1 million in legal fees to the attorneys that successfully sued the district over its intelligent-design policy.

In addition, each of the 11 plaintiffs will also receive $1 in nominal damages.

Eight of the nine board members voted in favor while Bryan Rehm, who is also a plaintiff, abstained.

The vote somewhat puts an end to one of the district's most contentious chapters, and, as plaintiff Cyndi Sneath said "lets us catch our breath and move on."

After board members voted, Beth Eveland, one of the parents who sued the district, told the board that she and other plaintiffs at the meeting considered it a fair offer.

However, she said they were dismayed that the taxpayers and children were left with the bill and believed the old board members should be held accountable. The smallest amount of accountability is an apology, she said. "It's the end of the legal drama, but there is no closure," she said.

Heather Geesey, the only remaining member from the previous board, said after the meeting that she took offense to Eveland's remarks. "I don't think I have anything to apologize for," she said.

Former board member Ronald Short also isn't planning to apologize. "I don't have anything to apologize for," Short said. "I believe in what the board did before."

The $1 million figure was the result of an agreement worked out between plaintiffs' attorneys and the district's solicitor. In exchange, the board agrees it will not appeal.

As part of U.S. Judge John E. Jones III's decision, in which he ruled Dover's intelligent-design policy unconstitutional, plaintiffs' attorneys were permitted to recoup legal fees and expenses.

Even though they have agreed on the settlement, Eric Rothschild, the plaintiffs' lead attorney, said lawyers will request an order in court entitling the plaintiffs to more than $2 million in costs.

Steve Russell, the district's solicitor, said the initial bill had been $2.5 million before negotiations began.

Plaintiffs' attorneys wanted to make sure that other school districts pondering whether to pursue a religious agenda will think twice, Rothschild said. "We think it's important that the public record will reflect how much it costs to stop an unconstitutional action," he said. "Still, we also recognize that this is a small school district."
0 Replies