The US, UN & Iraq II

trespassers will

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:54 am
Tartarin wrote:
Do you think Fox reports responsibly, Tres?

"Responsibly"??? You'd have to define what you mean by that.

I think they do a good job of covering the news and have some good shows where they bat around the issues of the day. I think they do a better job of it than anyone else out there, and the market seems to agree with my assessment.

But instead of asking me a poorly defined question, why don't you let us all know why you think they don't report "responsibly"? (That is where you want to go with this, is it not?)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 01:22 am
blatham,

Thanks, the source makes the compliment's value double.

perception,

Impatience makes for my presentations to be more disjointed than they should be. Incoherence probably has more to do with my short attention span that the underlying logic (though I did notice a few logical errors in my earlier posts, as usual I left my rear open for rebuttal through crelessness).

Actually my explanation as to the difference in perspective IS simplistic. 'Twas an afterthought. In reality, my analogy is flawed because unlike the example (in which colors are viewed differently without the possibility of a shift in perception) life affords differing viewpoints to the same individual.

Now as to my pet peeve I really can't let it go without comment.

Age is a factor in many things, perspective is one of them. My elders are far more knowledgable than me in a multitude of fields. My elders have a more balanced perspective than I do in many many areas. When that is he case I recogniz it and defer. Not because I'm so humble but simply because I don't want to opine about subjects about which my knowledge is so limited that such expression is undesireable. There are many experiences I have not had and about which I avoid comment (marriage for e.g.). but using my age as a point in this argument neglects many facts.

A) Many people in your age bracket share my opinion, they are either all immature or the age card you played is irrelevant.

B) History is by nature recorded, affording those who are born after the fact access to said facts without age discrimination.

C (main point) The age card can be played both ways. The old can be wise and the young foolhardy or the old can be working with outdated paradigims while the young are more in tune with the times. The young work from a perspective devoid of old "constants".

I personally think age is irrelevant to this juncture of debate. Age can be a factor, if, due to age, one does not know important factors these factors could be easily pointed ou and age attributed for the lacking knowledge.

In this case, the arguments are being ignored and age is supposed to trump them. I do not think that is reasonable, I do not think your age automatically affords you the luxury of being right when differing opinions come from younger mouths, and it takes a mere glance at the varied age groups who hold the same polarized opinions to see that opinions on this subject have a lot more to do with personal disposition than age.

BTW, I have not studied logic in my life and thus have not studied it since our penultimate encounter.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 01:23 am
tress,
Why do you think Fox is so often alleged to have a right wing bias? I'd not place all the blame on liberal in your answer because I am prepared to quote conservatives making this assertion.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 01:25 am
we don't get televised fox news here on guam. we do get the o'reilly (sp?) factor on the radio, we just got that program here on 4/01/03. i listened in last night and o'reilly was defending peter arnett from callers who were saying that what arnett did was treasonous. i was surprised at that, since i only know what i read here about the fox network i had expected it to be a rush limbaugh type program. it wasn't.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 01:38 am
pueo wrote:
we don't get televised fox news here on guam. we do get the o'reilly (sp?) factor on the radio, we just got that program here on 4/01/03. i listened in last night and o'reilly was defending peter arnett from callers who were saying that what arnett did was treasonous. i was surprised at that, since i only know what i read here about the fox network i had expected it to be a rush limbaugh type program. it wasn't.

It's amazing what you learn when you check things out for yourself! Very Happy
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 01:46 am
Craven,

I enjoyed your posts immensely.

Its interesting to compare whats happened to the global stock markets to whats happening here on this thread. Markets are supposed to be efficient and build in ahead poor end of year results and other substantial economic factors. With 911 and the Freedom Iraq the same sort of doomsday scenario seems to being enacted that has no real regard for logic or economic reality.

Many of the companies I deal with globally have used the 911 and suusequent outfallings to get rid of all their off balance sheet items and ditch all their mess in one foul swoop, no doubt in the knowledge that all eyes are out there wondering what the hell is going to happen next. Yes there has been a downturn, Yes economies are hurting, however I do a lot of driving and the amount of commerical traffic on the roads has not dissipated since 911, I would say that it has increased.

Its kind of the same with the chinese SARS thing, I heard a doctor on the TV in the UK this morning and he was like a breath of fresh air. Yes its a very virulent flu tpye bug, No its not the new aids, he told people to relax and not to worry, if people take normal precautions, then there is no need to worry. At the moment its the doom and gloom brigade and the worrymongers that worry me most.

We all need to keep a clear head, I am reminded of Rudyard Kiplings " If "

" If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too...."
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 02:03 am
Thanks hiama,

But whenever some like my posts I'm sure others disliked it proportionately. I'll back off a bit.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 02:49 am
perception wrote:
Consider for another moment that removing a murdering tyrant from power as another true motivation for initiating this war. Is that not another valid moral justification for going to war.

It would be, to my opinion. (It's not, traditionally, of course: attacking a country that's not actually done anything to you, or even to another country - simply because it has a regime that endangers too many of 'its own' human lives - has not been a much accepted justification thus far. The only war I can think of that was really fought on such a "humanitarian" lead was the one on Kosovo).

For it to be proposed as indeed a "true motivation", however, a plausible case would have to be made that this government deeply cares about "removing murdering tyrants from power". Untill the US government decides to be slightly more discerning about which dictatorial regimes elsewhere in the world it tolerates and even actively supports, I wouldn't consider that case made.

perception wrote:
Consider for another moment that seeking to bring stabilization to the most turbulent section of the world is another valid motivation for initiating this war. Is this not another moral justification for going to war.

It would be. You and I, for one, simply differ on what the chances are of this war doing exactly that. I don't really think that case has been made; in fact, the one reason the more sceptic regimes around Iraq (Turkey, Iran, even Saudi Arabia) have opposed this war is because they feared for the stability of the region, not to mention that of their own country.

perception wrote:
I think the above possible justifications are at least as valid as your reasons for not going to war which as far as I can tell is only one----we have not been attacked by Saddam. I think I am correct in saying that he declared war on the US during the first Gulf War.

This is the reason I actually started this post, because it's factually incorrect. Saddam attacked Kuwait. It is in retaliation for that, that an international coalition under leadership of the US attacked Iraq. I don't think Kuwait is a state of the US quite yet ;-).

perception wrote:
If he did and his intentions could be proven---is this not another valid reason for supposing he would someday follow through on his intention to attack us.

"supposing [someone] would someday follow through on his intention to attack us" as a justified casus belli would, I'm afraid, end you up with quite a shopping list of countries to take on next. The world is such that a lot of countries would like to "someday follow through on [their] intention to attack" the US ...

perception wrote:
I believe Steve did not question the morality----his objection was supposedly legality--- according to whose standards of legality?

That would be according to an interpretation of the phrasings of international law. The cases for and against that interpretation have already been made many a time.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 03:16 am
timberlandko wrote:
CdK, I see Iraq, not alone among many, as a Terrorism Enabling State. It is not THE Problem, but it is part of it. I do see the situation as urgent. I see it as being taken to hand, and I see it, even apart from Iraq, long and much work away from resolution. This is the begining.

It's interesting that you have taken the struggle against the terrorists of 9/11 to mean, unavoidably, the fight against all terrorists anywhere - you even mention Northern Ireland. With that perspective, you are right to call Iraq a terrorism-enabling state. A link with the perpetrators of any attack on America itself (Al Qaeda) has never been proven, but links with other terrorists groups, active elsewhere, are there, for certain - even if just the financial rewards Saddam very publicly offers the families of suicide bombers in Palestine.

Such a blanket target group is a bit problematic in two respects, though. The one of definition - "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" and all that. Who are the terrorists in Colombia - FARC or the paramilitaries or both? So what kind of attack on who and what support to whom is legitimate there? The second is the one of justification. Considering the problem of definition, how can the US justify attacking anyone in the world it considers, by its own particular standard, to be the terrorists rather than the freedom fighters, even if they didn't actually pose any proven threat to America itself?

Apart from the question who enables terrorism, we should also ask what enables it. And whether a behaviour such as the one above might not contribute to it. Is a full-blown war on any state that can be shown to have supported or hosted any terrorist really an effective means of diminishing the force of terrorism? How does taking away one particular or potential "home base" more balance out against the mobilisation of new terrorists, by the incease in anger or fear about what to many would start to seem like an arbitrarily, unilaterally intervening power?

If you do consider this kind of outright war an effective and justifiable means to stamp out terrorism in the world overall, where's the benchmark, upon what criteria is an attack justified? If this is indeed "the beginning", how many of these cases are still ahead? Here, I'm not commenting, but asking?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:09 am
I need to spend more time at home.

By the time I read through the previous day's posts (and stop chuckling or sobbing), it's time to leave for work.

I need to go back to find the post but I think time is running out on someone's -ten more days and it's over- postulation.

Joe
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:19 am
Nelson Mandela went from being a terrorist to president!!!!
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:36 am
Wilso wrote:
Since I'm not a believer prayer is no comfort for me. I'm hoping one of the believers on this thread can say a prayer for someone. His name is Bakhat Hassan and he has just lost his daughters aged 2 and 5, his 3 year old son, his parents, two older brothers, their wives and 2 nieces aged 12 and 15 and his father.

Apparently this is the US version of liberation.

You just did my friend by expressing the need.
Prayer is felt
not heard.
it goes beyond
the spoken word
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:38 am
That's very kind. Thankyou.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:47 am
fair and balanced
"During a recent New York protest, the electronic sign that runs around Fox's Manhattan office actually mocked the protesters, saying, "How do you keep a war protester in suspense? Ignore them." Fox's grammar is as lacking as its professionalism."
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:50 am
Under the plan, the government will consist of 23 ministries, each headed by an American. Every ministry will also have four Iraqi advisers appointed by the Americans, the Guardian has learned.

The government will take over Iraq city by city. Areas declared "liberated" by General Tommy Franks will be transferred to the temporary government under the overall control of Jay Garner, the former US general appointed to head a military occupation of Iraq. (link)

And worse, they intend to privatise Iraq's oil:
Leaks from the state department's "future of Iraq" office show Washington plans to privatise the Iraqi economy and particularly the state-owned national oil company. Experts on its energy panel want to start with "downstream" assets like retail petrol stations. This would be a quick way to gouge money from Iraqi consumers. Later they would privatise exploration and development.

http://www.adnan.org/main.php
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 06:28 am
ierratimes.com/03/02/28/arpubmg022803.htm
Appellate Court Rules Media Can Legally Lie.
By Mike Gaddy
Published 02. 28. 03 at 19:31 Sierra Time

On February 14, a Florida Appeals court ruled there is absolutely nothing illegal about lying, concealing or distorting information by a major press organization. The court reversed the $425,000 jury verdict in favor of journalist Jane Akre who charged she was pressured by Fox Television management and lawyers to air what she knew and documented to be false information. The ruling basically declares it is technically not against any law, rule, or regulation to deliberately lie or distort the news on a television broadcast.

On August 18, 2000, a six-person jury was unanimous in its conclusion that Akre was indeed fired for threatening to report the station's pressure to broadcast what jurors decided was "a false, distorted, or slanted" story about the widespread use of growth hormone in dairy cows. The court did not dispute the heart of Akre's claim, that Fox pressured her to broadcast a false story to protect the broadcaster from having to defend the truth in court, as well as suffer the ire of irate advertisers.

Fox argued from the first, and failed on three separate occasions, in front of three different judges, to have the case tossed out on the grounds there is no hard, fast, and written rule against deliberate distortion of the news. The attorneys for Fox, owned by media baron Rupert Murdock, argued the First Amendment gives broadcasters the right to lie or deliberately distort news reports on the public airwaves.

In its six-page written decision, the Court of Appeals held that the Federal Communications Commission position against news distortion is only a "policy," not a promulgated law, rule, or regulation.

Fox aired a report after the ruling saying it was "totally vindicated" by the verdict.

Nuff said?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 07:49 am
I notice references on this thread to strange tv shows and even stranger sounding media networks that are a mystery to us in Britain. Now I know your hearts will go out to your poor ignorant cousins, confined to a diet of the British Broadcasting Corporation (in black and white), and having to make do with ancient old episodes of The Simpsons, but it was through Homer Simpson that I first heard reference to something called Fox. (I couldn't tell exactly what, he was chewing at the time).

However, in an attempt to enlighten us, one of our more respectable newspapers The Independent, has despatched probably its bravest reporter to Los Angeles.

This in part is what Andrew Gumbel reports:-

Quote:
America is thus experiencing a truly bizarre split. People in the anti war camp often say they do not know a single person in favour of the Iraq campaign, and refuse to believe opinion polls showing support for the conflict is holding steady at about 70%.

Pro war Americans can't make quite the same claim - almost every one of their rallies, after all, has been met by a protest - but they too believe they represent the "true" feelings of their fellow countrymen.

Broadly speaking opposition to the war tends to increase with greater education levels, although this is not uniformly true. War supporters tend to get their news from television, especially the Fox News cable channel, a shameless cheerleader for Mr Bush's agenda, and tend to believe what they are told by the Pentagon.

Opponents are more likely to surf the internet for foreign newspaper reports and alternative news sites, discounting what the government says as empty propaganda.

So there you have it, Fox is biased. (In case you didn't know).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 08:02 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
So there you have it, Fox is biased. (In case you didn't know).

Or the Independent is <grins>.

Actually, we all know most every media station has some bias or other. Fox gets a lot of flack for a bias that apparently is unusually explicit and emphatic for a TV station. Ge'lisgesti's two posts above go a long way in indicating the flak might be justified. Claiming the right to lie and then, after getting it, claiming to have been "vindicated" is tabloid journalism stuff. Reminds you of the things Walraff wrote about Bild. And protesting/mocking the views of those you are supposed to then objectively report on is also unworthy behaviour for a mainstream news network. Thanks for that info, Ges'.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 08:03 am
Joe Nation wrote:
I need to go back to find the post but I think time is running out on someone's -ten more days and it's over- postulation.

Dont think so. Perception's got five days yet, it's only half-time!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 08:21 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
timber,
ANY nation has the potential to enable terrorism. ANY individual has the potention to cause tragedy.

Potential is one thing, demonstrated, ongoing, active participation is another thing entirely. I own many firearms, which gives me the potential to shoot up the neighborhood. There is no reason to suppose I might, and much reason to conclude I would not.
Quote:
If that is the logic behind such proclamations of doom, if the supporting evidence for preemptive attacks is of such little concern, I can imagine why this would be simply the beginning.

If no differentiating factors between possibility and probability are needed for you to justify attacking other nations without real provocation I can only imagine what you'd consider acceptable.

Your observation here suffers from oversimplification, unwarranted assumption, and flawed logic. The role of states as the sole entities of global politics has ended; there has evolved an entirely new class of entities which are stateless geopolitical operators. The world is a bit slow catching up to the phenomenon. A threat need not, in fact increasingly will not, have a flag, borders, or civil infrastructure. The Community of Nations, by and large, is and has been moving away from the practice of overt State-vs-State Armed Conflict. Proxy war has become the norm, wherein a state will, either covertly or otherwise, endorse and support a faction engaged in a third-party dispute, generally of internecine nature, with a faction the defeat of which would be of strategic benefit to the sovereign entity providing the aid. A given conflict may be subject to a number of proxies, working to differing ends, and often in most Byzantine, complexly intertwined, multi-tentacled fashion. By nature of the dichotomy of "Establishment" and "Anti-Establishment", an anti-establishment faction may be expected to be required to exersize unconventional means to attempt the effecting of its ends. Terrorism is a frequently employed tactic. The conflict in which Civilization is engaged is not with any particular State or States, but against the ideology which employs terrorism. This ideology is stateless, areligious, and bears no ethnicity. Terrorism is a vile, vicious, detestable, contemptible evil which, as largely has been slavery, must be eradicated.

Quote:

I call the following my "let see if this is an abject waste of my time" quiz:

Do you support preemptive attacks on

1) DPRK

2) Iran

3) Syria

4) Cuba

Very briefly, DPRK: Diplomatic and economic solution likely.
Iran: Shows signs of interest in becoming an economic partner in the global community. Among other indicators of this is Iran's restraint in, and indirect cooperation with, the issue we are currently prosecuting in her back yard. Syria, and Jordan, are closely related to the current matter, and are materially involved, as indeed is the entire region. Much depends on how effectively the US presses The Roadmap while demonstrating a commitment to the Best Interest of the Iraqi People, and not her own. Cuba will go the way oif the Soviet Union soon, and will benefit greatly. As will Florida. Altogether, this is likely to be a difficult act to pull off. The ways of the world are changing and adaptation is called for. We adapted to the advance and retreat of the glaciers, we'll adapt to this. It shouldn't take nearly as long. There will be successes and setbacks along the way. Renovation and rehabilitation of a building may be the goal, but details of decoration and fire protection are of little consequence if the immediate task is to extinguish a fire in that building.
Quote:
Really, the "pro" camp should stick to the "liberation" angle. It's an exemplary red herring to the "kill the neighbor because he could kill me" ratiocination.

Have I addressed that to your satisfaction?
0 Replies