If there was no Electoral College, would the Republican Party be finished?

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 09:18 am
Do Republicans need the Electoral College?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 6,101 • Replies: 61

Lash

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 09:30 am
@Thomas33,
A really good angle of inquiry! I'm going to take another look at electoral demographics before answering.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 10:50 am
If pigs could fly ....?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 12:33 pm
@Thomas33,
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/06/article-2413498-1BA531A3000005DC-34_636x382.jpg

This is why we have an electoral college. There is more to the country than the blue spots.
Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 01:10 pm
@Thomas33,
Your question answers whether the country could ever do away with the Electoral College? And, the answer is no, because without the Electoral College, states (not people) would possibly have little say in the outcome of a presidential election, once there were more Democrats living in the over-crowded regions that Democrats inhabit. Since we are a Federal Republic, states have to have equitable representation. Therefore, the Electoral College will likely remain for a long time, or forever.
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 01:10 pm
The Electoral College has allowed for the "mischiefs of faction" to prevail in this election, something for which it was implemented to avoid, ironically.
Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 01:16 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

The Electoral College has allowed for the "mischiefs of faction" to prevail in this election, something for which it was implemented to avoid, ironically.

Where was the "mischief"? The country is "right of center" and can vote in an election if voters think the issues warrant their vote. There were issues that resonated with conservative voters, especially with upwards of three Supreme Court justices possibly being replaced in the next few years. Where's the mischief?
maporsche

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 01:23 pm
@McGentrix,
You do realize that there are A LOT of blue voters even in those red counties right?
Lash

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 01:55 pm
@Foofie,
Actually, that was not the question. I think close analysis of the demographics as they fit in the electoral map McG so kindly brought is required before constructing an accurate answer.

RABEL222

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 07:19 pm
@Lash,
In 2000 AND 2016 there would have been a different president so I believe that in the future the republicans are toast. We'll see in 2018.
Krumple

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 07:26 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

In 2000 AND 2016 there would have been a different president so I believe that in the future the republicans are toast. We'll see in 2018.

2018? You mean 2020?

How Trump handles these 4 years can make or break the red team. He has an opportunity to change the landscape of the party for both teams. Im optimistic and feel this is great news for american politics even though I dont like the red team. They have proven a point. You dont need corporations to get elected.

Money out of polutics is necessary and trump proved it can be done.

I hold out hope he will make some choices that get evem Dems smiling unexpectedly. I feel its going to happen. I know right now that seems impossible but that last line is what Dems were chanting 2 days before the election. He surprised them. I think he will again. Give the slime ball a chance.
McGentrix

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 07:55 pm
@Krumple,
2018 will be mid terms. If bush shits the bed, the Dems may roll in with the Senate and maybe even the House. If he does well, then we can expect more Trump good things.
Lash

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 07:56 pm
@RABEL222,
Word salad.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 09:29 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

2018 will be mid terms. If bush shits the bed, the Dems may roll in with the Senate and maybe even the House. If he does well, then we can expect more Trump good things.

The House will be easier for the Democrats to win in 2018 than the Senate.

The Democrats picked up Senate seats in 2000, 2006, and 2012.
The low hanging fruit is gone.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 09:46 pm
@Krumple,
Time to change congress in 2018.
Krumple

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 09:57 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Time to change congress in 2018.

Doubt it will happen if Trump turns over all the dead leaves.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 10:00 pm
@Thomas33,
America being America I guess the only change would be in relation to the amount of drama, general disinformation and people's manipulation as mass hysteria to get the necessary votes to tie up with whatever progressive party there was. The problem of America, at least the old fashioned cowboy America is a certain hate of smart people that I am all to familiar with in my on country for instance. That America every so often roars its ugly head in to many directions from Religion stupidity up to the phenomena Trump epitomises...some actually fault Religion or Politics instead of acknowledging that simply stupidity has reached critical mass...
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 10:48 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Time to change our name to Contorted States of America.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 12:25 am
@maporsche,
I'm not sure what that map represents.

There is no blue in Vermont on that map.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 12:26 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Where was the "mischief"? The country is "right of center" and can vote in an election if voters think the issues warrant their vote. There were issues that resonated with conservative voters, especially with upwards of three Supreme Court justices possibly being replaced in the next few years. Where's the mischief?

A minority faction won the vote.