11
   

If there was no Electoral College, would the Republican Party be finished?

 
 
InfraBlue
 
  2  
Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 12:27 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/06/article-2413498-1BA531A3000005DC-34_636x382.jpg

This is why we have an electoral college. There is more to the country than the blue spots.

So, where are the red spots?
Krumple
 
  0  
Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 12:34 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/06/article-2413498-1BA531A3000005DC-34_636x382.jpg

This is why we have an electoral college. There is more to the country than the blue spots.

So, where are the red spots?


Like I said, you and graphs dont mix. Its suppose to point out that everything else IS red.
Kolyo
 
  3  
Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 12:36 am
@Krumple,
If every county in Vermont is red, how can vermont as a whole be blue?

Does anyone know where this map comes from?

Edit-- it shows the 146 most populous counties, not necessarily Democratic ones.
Krumple
 
  -1  
Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 12:44 am
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

If every county in Vermont is red, how can vermont as a whole be blue?

Does anyone know where this map comes from?


Uhg.. Its pointing out the counties of majority liberal dems. Vermont is a mix. Delegates for Vermont voted Blue. But that doesnt mean you have vast majority blue counties. You have a mix, none that are vastly liberal dems.
Kolyo
 
  2  
Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 12:45 am
@Krumple,
No, it's not about red vs blue at all. See my edit above.

The map is from business insider.
Krumple
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 01:03 am
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

No, it's not about red vs blue at all. See my edit above.

The map is from business insider.


It comes from dailymail.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/20/21/335FBDD400000578-0-image-a-37_1461183635407.jpg

"The map for Sanders was reminiscent of the 2012 presidential election when country was a sea of red for Mitt Romney except for the major city centers that made Barack Obama the victor"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/index.html
Kolyo
 
  2  
Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 01:18 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

It comes from dailymail.


McG's image did. However, I found a copy at business insider with an explanation.
Kolyo
 
  3  
Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 01:24 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

It comes from dailymail.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/04/20/21/335FBDD400000578-0-image-a-37_1461183635407.jpg


That's a completely different map from the one McG posted.

In your new map, every vermont county is blue, and there's way more blue in general.
0 Replies
 
Kolyo
 
  2  
Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 01:34 am
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

Krumple wrote:

It comes from dailymail.


McG's image did. However, I found a copy at business insider with an explanation.


Furthermore, I was able to locate the daily mail article with mcg's map, and they cite business insider as their source.
InfraBlue
 
  2  
Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 01:51 am
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:
Furthermore, I was able to locate the daily mail article with mcg's map, and they cite business insider as their source.

Do you have a link to the article?
izzythepush
 
  0  
Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 02:42 am
@Kolyo,
The Daily Mail is a crappy tabloid, it's known for printing lies. When someone relies on the Daily Mail they've lost the argument. Viz is a more reliable source.
0 Replies
 
Kolyo
 
  2  
Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 07:28 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Kolyo wrote:
Furthermore, I was able to locate the daily mail article with mcg's map, and they cite business insider as their source.

Do you have a link to the article?


http://www.businessinsider.com/half-of-the-united-states-lives-in-these-counties-2013-9

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2413498/The-146-large-counties-HALF-U-S-population-lives.html
0 Replies
 
McGentrix
 
  0  
Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 08:11 am
My map is a population density by county map. Has nothing to do with red vs blue. That blue is the highly populated counties in America is coincidental.

The point is that population density does not equal majority or automatic win in elections. The framers of our country, especially Hamilton, set up the Electoral College because they didn't particularly trust people to be able to vote in the leaders of the country. So, they have representatives that they vote in that do that for them. It also allows for smaller states, and keep in mind that the United States of America is 50 states that make a country, not a country divided into 50 states, to have a say in the Federal government.

The hand wringing over the EC is pointless and not really worthwhile.
InfraBlue
 
  3  
Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 11:13 am
@Krumple,
Your assumptions are incorrect about the graph.

Try ascertaining the facts before spewing your idiocies.
farmerman
 
  2  
Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 11:33 am
@McGentrix,
you totally dismiss the fact that the party that is legislatively in power every decennial , controls the congressional redistricting maps.
The minorities have been squoze out, diluted, and massively disenfranchised in the three key "purple" states, by creating these fractionated gerrymandered electoral districts .
Theres a good book in the making about what happened in Chester County in 2016. It went DEM, first time since Cleveland and it was due primarily to the rapid population growth in upper income hispqnics nd blacks(its the richest , highest educated county in Pa and it was sooooo red till 2016.BUT, the power of the county's growth was watered down by breaking it up and diluting this electoral punch by creating these really bizarre legislative districts.
This is "real rigging" nd the Trump team mined that by addressing its coalition of whites in the districts it could affect.

Smart, but hould be considered unethical and criminal for the future


SO, please don't try to make the case that we even are close to a fair representation ala "one man one vote"

Im as critical of the Dem gerrymandering (like Md and NY) also.
Krumple
 
  -1  
Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 11:35 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Your assumptions are incorrect about the graph.

Try ascertaining the facts before spewing your idiocies.


If you would have compared the mapI posted and the one in question you would notice similarities. The map I posted was from 2012 so the landscape would be slightly different. But still the point remains, the map I posted is showing the same as my arguement so my point is still relevant.
InfraBlue
 
  3  
Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 11:45 am
@Krumple,
The map is about the most populous counties in the US, it's not about which ones voted Democrat or Republican.
Krumple
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 11:50 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

The map is about the most populous counties in the US, it's not about which ones voted Democrat or Republican.


Yes I am aware of that. The point in posting it though. Where the most populated areas have a stronger influence over elections if it were just a popular vote process. Why would you campaign anywhere other than the highly populated areas?

Plus my map shows that typically the high populated areas are blue. So republicans would have a much harder time statistically if campaigns required winning favor in the higher populated areas, hence why the EC is more balanced.
maporsche
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 12:28 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

Why would you campaign anywhere other than the highly populated areas?


Well, the 50 biggest cities only have 25 million registered voters in them out of something like 135 million people who vote in the country. If a candidate was able to get 100% of the electorate in the biggest 50 cities, it would only be enough to lose every time.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/a0763098.html
McGentrix
 
  1  
Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 01:01 pm
@maporsche,
How do you get those numbers from that link?
 

Related Topics

Obama '08? - Discussion by sozobe
Let's get rid of the Electoral College - Discussion by Robert Gentel
McCain's VP: - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
Food Stamp Turkeys - Discussion by H2O MAN
The 2008 Democrat Convention - Discussion by Lash
McCain is blowing his election chances. - Discussion by McGentrix
Snowdon is a dummy - Discussion by cicerone imposter
GAFFNEY: Whose side is Obama on? - Discussion by gungasnake
 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.09 seconds on 04/12/2021 at 12:28:53