I'm not sure what to do in my relationship

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 12:38 pm
I'm new to this website and I'm here because I'd really like some advice. My boyfriend and I have been together for nearly 3 years. Our relationship is very good, but lately things have been weird. We have been together since our sophomore year of high school and we're in college together now. We are young, but we've always had a very mature and realistic relationship, and we value each other very much. I guess the most recent thing that triggered these feelings happened the other day he went hung out with a girl. They went to her house, got coffee together, and hung out for a long time. He didn't tell me that he did it until he got home. He didn't cheat on me, and I know that he wouldn't, that's not what I'm worried about. We've both been cheated on before and I know he's not the kind of person that would do that. However, what I'm worried about is that he is seeking something else and not wanting to admit it, maybe even to himself. I've always had this worry in the back of my mind that he's going to want something different from what I can give him. We are very similar, but I feel like other people are more passionate about the things he is interested than I am. I have talked to him a bit about this but I haven't really resolved anything. Of course I want him to be happy, and I let him know that he is not a bad person is he wants something else, and I just want him to be honest and do what will make him feel best. He says that he doesn't want to leave me and that I still make him happy, and I don't want to leave him, but things just feel different. It seems like I'm not as important in his life as he is in mine. Him and our relationship are the most important things in my life, while I'm only one little aspect of his. I am not expecting him to revolve his entire life around me; the only reason I bright this up is because it seems like it used to be that way for him too. He used to tell me all the time that I was the most important person to him, and I'm only upset because that has changed and I don't understand why, and I worry that someone else will take that place. (please note that I'm not trying to say that he should spend every second of the day with me and only me and never spend time with other friends or do anything else. That is not what I'm saying.) It just seems as if I used to be his number one, favorite person and I'm not sure that that's how it is anymore, and I'm worried that it is because we're drifting apart. I know that I have flaws and I am difficult to deal with sometimes. I have anxiety and depression and I have a very hard time connecting with people, so I can be dependent on him sometimes. We've discussed this before, and he has even told me that he occasionally depends on me too. (I have other friends and other things in my life that make me happy, I'm not solely relying on him for my happiness.) I know that it can be a burden for him, though. I'm always sure to stress to him that I'm not looking for him to "fix" me or my problems, I just want him to be there when he can. But while he is dealing with his own problems, I think he feels pressured when presented with my problems as well. I'm worried that I'm pushing him away and that he will develop closer relationships with other people. I told him that it felt like he was living two different lives, one that was our relationship and one that was everything else, and he agreed. I think he feels the need to act differently around me, and whether or not it is my fault, I'm worried that it's irreversible. I don't want to feel like I'm dating one version of him, while the real version comes out with his friends or even other girls. I love him so much and ending our relationship would be devastating. Our relationship has always felt very special. Like I said, I know that we are young. But we aren't stupid. I'm just feeling very stuck and I'm looking for another opinion. Thank you for taking the time to read if you did. Sorry if it seems out of order or like I'm rambling.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 647 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 12:51 pm
@beeh1126,
Beeh,

You are young, perhaps your relationship needs a break. I know that's probably not what you want to hear and it will be hard. When you have been with someone for a long time when you are young it can lead to feeling like you are missing out on something else. As hard as that might be to understand it is often a relationship killer for those who ignore it.

Some times (as cliched as it sounds) you have to let go to really know. I suggest giving your relationship with him a break. It will give you both perspective and if you both realize later you want to be together it will be due to this. It's hard, I know, but the signs are there in your story. Consider it.
beeh1126

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 12:57 pm
@Krumple,
Thank you for responding. I actually suggested this to him and he said that rather than "take a break" per se, we would just try sort of doing our own thing for awhile and maybe spending less time together. I also will try to be more accepting of the people that he spends time with, even if they are other girls. Hopefully this will work.
Krumple

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 01:27 pm
@beeh1126,
beeh1126 wrote:

Thank you for responding. I actually suggested this to him and he said that rather than "take a break" per se, we would just try sort of doing our own thing for awhile and maybe spending less time together. I also will try to be more accepting of the people that he spends time with, even if they are other girls. Hopefully this will work.

You shouldn't just do that for him, but for yourself as well. I know you care about him and you love him. But interactions with others can give you new perspective and happiness. At this point it might seem like it wouldn't or maybe you feel like you don't really need that. But you might be surprised if you do.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 02:44 pm
Together since sophomore in high school = 15 years old?

Is this your first year at college?

beeh1126

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 04:43 pm
@PUNKEY,
We had both just turned 16 when we got together. Yes, this is my first year.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 05:30 pm
@beeh1126,
beeh1126 wrote:
with his friends or even other girls

one thing I think you'll need to adjust to is the realization that women will be among your boyfriend's circle of friends. He will have male friends as well as female friends. I hope the same will be true for you.
beeh1126

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 05:36 pm
@ehBeth,
I do realize that. I think the reason why I am not feeling as comfortable with it as I'd like to is because his female friends have always been mutual friends of ours before, and the same went for my male friends. But now he has relationships with people that I don't know. It's just something I will have to adjust to.
0 Replies