Is every consciousness different?

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 11:08 am
Is my consciousness different to both the consciousness of the actress Lorenza Izzo or the scientist Galileo?
Are any two consciousness's different?

Leadfoot

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 11:29 am
@Thomas33,
I think not. But what you do with it is.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 11:32 am
@Thomas33,
Yes, every consciousness is different, because our environment and experience is different.
coluber2001

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 11:53 am
Individuals and cultures exist on different levels of consciousness called chakras by the Indians. There are seven and they symbolically represent the seven levels of consciousness. Most people live on the third (solar plexus chakra) or the fourth (heart chakra). The heart chakra is the first truly human level and involves compassion. Societies, at least for the last six thousand years or so, have lived on the solar plexus chakra, the ultimate one probably being the 3rd Reich of Germany. This implies a desperate need for societies to jump to the heart chakra (truly human) in order to survive. Ironically, Germany appears to be one of the few countries approaching this next level.
dalehileman

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 02:10 pm
@Thomas33,
's ? Tom

http://onelook.com/?w=consciousnesses&ls=a&loc=home_ac_consciousnesses
0 Replies

Thomas33

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 02:39 pm
@coluber2001,
I appreciate your referencing Germany. The needs of society itself are at odds with "heart chakra", in my opinion. However what can be problematic is the idea that the ability to be compassionate is because of anti.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 04:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
But environment and experience is as much created by consciousness as it is the creator of consciousness.
cicerone imposter

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 07:29 pm
@Thomas33,
That's right; perception is subjective. But show me two people with the same perception within the same environment. It's never the same.
Thomas33

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 09:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
How is it never the same? Reality is pattern. If it wasn't, there'd be no point in politics or law.
The very existence of culture and systems of life need uniformity.
cicerone imposter

Fri 15 Jul, 2016 10:30 pm
@Thomas33,
No. What I meant was each life is different. Even identical twins have different lives.
0 Replies

fresco

Sat 16 Jul, 2016 02:54 am
@Thomas33,
I notice you are raising existentialist issues on these threads, Those issues investigate the status of "self", "reality" and " whether life has meaning".
The general problem in discussing those issues is that ordinary language tends to be ill equipped and can straight jacket thinking. For example, it is not clear in this case what you mean by " consciousness" the usage of which could involve thought, personality, cosmic holism, difference between species etc. The solution attempted by Heidegger and other existentialists has been to construct neologisms (new language) to describe what they see as the fundamental aspects of existence.
"
"
Setanta

Sat 16 Jul, 2016 03:11 am
I would point out that people tend to think that they and others think alike. This can be seen very clearly in religious adherents. But in fact, people often hold differing notions, sometimes greatly differing notions, on the subjects which they believe everyone agrees on. Yeah, every consciousness is different, and that, combined with tribalism, makes this world a living hell.
Thomas33

Sat 16 Jul, 2016 05:57 am
@fresco,
I concur about the problem of ordinary language. But I also think uniformity stops itself from exposure. Which is to say that the consciousness of the US general Patton might have been quite similar to the consciousness of any hockey player, or computer programmer, yet the difference was never cancelled because of uniformity.

0 Replies

Thomas33

Sat 16 Jul, 2016 06:04 am
@Setanta,
All consciousness may be different, but where it gets confusing is the fact of pattern; everyone has to pay their taxes, or the weekend is the same place in time for everyone (are those good examples?).
Person G can say that tribalism is proof of difference, but then that can just mean tribe A and tribe B both require uniformity unto themselves and in relation to one another in order to exist - the different needs uniformity.

Like I said, this confuses me.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sat 16 Jul, 2016 12:46 pm
@Setanta,
Holy ****, I had to give Setanta a thumbs up on that one..
0 Replies

Jasper10

Wed 6 May, 2020 01:56 pm
@Thomas33,
From my experience understanding consciousness and the differing types is simple and yet extremely difficulty to put into practice.There are three types autopilot/manual/neutral.Most people spend their whole lives in autopilot.Some know about manual but it is so difficult to remain in it so they give up.Some are able to still the mind and therefore come into an understanding of the neutral state.
0 Replies

livinglava

Thu 7 May, 2020 11:34 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

I notice you are raising existentialist issues on these threads, Those issues investigate the status of "self", "reality" and " whether life has meaning".
The general problem in discussing those issues is that ordinary language tends to be ill equipped and can straight jacket thinking. For example, it is not clear in this case what you mean by " consciousness" the usage of which could involve thought, personality, cosmic holism, difference between species etc. The solution attempted by Heidegger and other existentialists has been to construct neologisms (new language) to describe what they see as the fundamental aspects of existence.
"
"

Consciousness is awareness of whatever is being perceived, whether it be sensory information, emotional feelings, thoughts, memories, etc.

Different people may experience/perceive the same thing differently, e.g. one delights at a certain flavor while another reviles; but they are both conscious of the perceptions they are experiencing within their particular body, life history, etc.

A dog may have no thoughts at all, or very confused and/or simple thoughts; but it may perceive the flavor of food as very delicious, feel loving, fearful, and/or angry emotions toward people and other animals, etc.

The dog is conscious of its experiences and perceptions just as we are, though the superficialities of how specific details of experience are perceived may differ between species and between individuals of the same species in various ways.
Jasper10

Sun 8 Nov, 2020 02:18 am
@livinglava,
Awareness is above consciousness...One can experience different types of consciousness.One is not a consciousness.One needs to become more aware of which conscious state one resides in and learn to shift the consciousness state.There is an in synch and an out of synch consciousness state generally known as manual and autopilot in modern psychology.
0 Replies

yovav

Tue 10 Nov, 2020 10:45 pm
@Thomas33,
You need to define what consciousness is before you or anyone else tries to answer the answer.
Jasper10

Wed 11 Nov, 2020 10:26 am
@yovav,
All the best with that one.........not many are prepared to walk the experiential walk...they tend to stay trapped on the hamsters reasoning wheel.Scientist are very reluctant to become personally part of their own consciousness experiment and therefore have made no significant progress whatsoever in understanding consciousness. EXPERIENTIAL is the key word.