Supremes bat back Obama's immigration executive order

Lash

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 09:58 am
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/23/politics/immigration-supreme-court/index.html

The move toward legislation by one is a move away from democracy. I'm thankful for the court decision.

Waiting to see other opinions.

momoends

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 12:43 pm
@Lash,
Wrong! Deciding against the wellfare of the citizens of a country is the anti democratic actitude here.... i would like to know how many of those dangerous inmigrants shoulders has Trump built his finantial empire on...
Some criteria has to be defined when deciding somebody suitable to get the nationality but .... denying rights to people that have been living for a long time in a country.... it seems to be more characteristic of an authoritarian regimen that of a democracy
roger

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 12:55 pm
@momoends,
One issue is the president essentially attempting to pass his own laws, based on his own belief that congress hasn't done what he wants.

One issue is the condition of illegal immigrants - especially long term immigrants and children sent to family members because of conditions in places like El Salvador.

One issue is NOT Trump. Can't you find a better way to drag him into the dialog?
momoends

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 01:00 pm
@roger,
Of course, by actually reading your link and giving an opinition about what it says?!
You post a link were several of trumps declaration were quoted and you accuse me of introducing trump out of nowhere? Dude!
Sturgis

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 01:25 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I'm thankful for the court decision.

Really? I myself am saddened by it. There is a ton of fear and terror already in many of the undocumented folks, they were in many cases living in fear and terror before they made their (for many) perilous journey to this country. Now we can add in that they are facing an ever growing possibility of being deported and returned to the very thing(s) they were trying to escape from.

One thing that this so called ruling from the top court shows us is, that we are sorely in need of a 9th justice on the bench. Since the current group didn't even issue a statement as to how each side arrived at their decision, we are left wondering. Their brief statement of 'The judgement is affirmed by an equally divided Court.' tells us literally nothing other than they are divided and are frustrated.

Considering your so far rampant support of Bernie Sanders, I am somewhat surprised by your apparent glee on this matter. Mr.Sanders himself has stated the desire to increase opportunities for individuals to gain permanent residency and for undocumented persons, especially the younger ones to be given a pathway towards permanent residency.

With a gridlocked set of Houses, the President was attempting to give people, in particular young people who were brought to this country by their parents when they were babies, infants or children, to offer them a chance. Now they have had that removed, even though they've been here for a long time, and were educated here and are ready to give back.

And all of these people young and old have been contributing to our economy by making purchases here and contributing to tax coffers when they have made various purchases or if they have obtained a phone line or an electric provider. Are we to reimburse them or just summarily boot them out like a stinky bag of trash? I say we offer them a chance, offer them a future.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 01:28 pm
Lash may have misunderstood the repercussions. I don't understand why Obama gets challenged for every executive order, while the other presidents who did the same thing generally were not.
Lash

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 01:34 pm
@Sturgis,
I understand your opinion.

Mine is based on concern about increasingly anti-democratic trends, not about the specific issue cited in this case.

So many noble causes crack open floodgates to reduced democracy.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 01:36 pm
@Lash,
Understood, thank you for your take.
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 01:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well... to the conservative, traditionalist snobs challenging the president executive orders, what do you think would be the outstanding difference between obama and his predecessors?
Yeeeeeppppppp... exactly that one...
the fu@€;&ers!)
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 02:42 pm
@Lash,
It seems many of you are misinformed as to what this ruling actually does.

The lower court imposed an injunction on implementing the plan until the Constitutionality is decided.
The Obama administration requested that they be allowed to implement their plan while the lower courts are ruling on the arguments brought by the states.

This is not a ruling that Obama was wrong. It is a ruling that he is likely enough to be wrong that the states can have their injunction until the lower court finally hears the case.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 03:26 pm
@momoends,
momoends wrote:

Of course, by actually reading your link and giving an opinition about what it says?!
You post a link were several of trumps declaration were quoted and you accuse me of introducing trump out of nowhere? Dude!

Let me clarify something about "my" link. I did not post a link.
roger

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 03:32 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Really? I myself am saddened by it. There is a ton of fear and terror already in many of the undocumented folks, they were in many cases living in fear and terror before they made their (for many) perilous journey to this country. Now we can add in that they are facing an ever growing possibility of being deported and returned to the very thing(s) they were trying to escape from.

I'm in complete agreement with this, and at least sympathetic with the rest. What I'm having trouble with is our president's seemingly endless series of executive orders. It sounds trite, but if we don't like congress, we need to vote them out. I'm certainly not up for abandoning our separation of powers.
Lash

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 03:35 pm
@roger,
In complete agreement.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 03:41 pm
@roger,
The congress will never be "voted out." It seems most voters like their reps in congress, and they continue to reelect them.
That doesn't give much smarts to American voters when it's obvious congress is broken.
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2016 04:00 pm
@roger,
Oh sorry, the link this thread is all about... go and read it first
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 01:40 pm
@Lash,
I agree with you.

Too many people are feeling too comfortable with soft tyranny.

If someone thinks that a bunch of experts in a central location can do a better job of deciding their fate than they...fine and dandy, but they shouldn't expect the rest of us to go along a give up our liberty.
0 Replies