PARROT WITNESSES MURDER?

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 05:18 pm
Bud the parrot may have witnessed a murder.

I heard about this on CBC, and they interviewed the murder victim's ex-wife, who believes that his wife at the time of the murder, may have shot him. They were both found shot, and he was dead. There's a copy of the video at CBC, which i will go get, if i can.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,965 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 05:22 pm
Here's a link to the program on CBC:

As It Happens

The story is at the top of the page, and there is a link on the left to hear the interview. I didn't find a link to the video of the bird reciting what his new owner believes is the dialogue at the time of the murder, however.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 05:49 pm
@Setanta,
I read about this, this morning. This is mostly a bump. I'm still interested.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 06:42 pm
African Grey Parrot. Very intelligent bird.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 01:38 am
There was an African of which i read several years ago with a vocabulary of several hundred words, and who could recognize shapes, and colors as well as being able to count past ten. Yes indeed, they're smart birds.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 01:45 am
Beaker, an African grey . . .

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 08:21 am
@Setanta,
I remember that bird. It made me take a closer look at parrots and birds in general.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 08:42 am
@Setanta,
I listened to that when they repeated it last night. There is an audio clip of what the parrot said and screamed. It's blood-curdling.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 09:22 am
mark
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 02:16 pm
Can a parrot serve as witness in murder trial?

Michigan prosecutors are trying to determine whether a parrot can be a witness in a murder case where a Michigan man was shot and killed in his home last year. Weeks later, his African grey parrot apparently mimicked what may have been an argument before the shooting. Don Dahler asked a parrot expert whether the pet could hold the key to the mystery.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 03:27 pm
I've got a feeling that that parrot would need a lot of coaxing and leading before it would blab exactly what prosecution needed, and would be impossible to cross examine. I doubt the witness would be acceptable.
Blickers

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 10:17 pm
@roger,
Maybe not as a witness, but maybe the bird can be evidence. Sort of like a tape recorder.
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 10:37 pm
Encagement involving the use of a mimicking device, is all they have to go on, much like the floor of the parrot's cage.

In the interim the parrot remains behind bars and is refusing to talk.

The curious incident of the dog in the night time is being examined by the Special Branch.

All the evidence in this unspeakable crime points to an apparent parrot perpetrator with a flair for starting arguments through deceptive vocal acuity.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 11:58 pm
Parrots are corvids, whose intelligence has been compared to primates. They can do amazing cognitive things you wouldn't even see from a dog. Some have classified their intelligence as being primate-like.
roger

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2016 12:03 am
@Blickers,
I've known a few corvids before I knew what a corvid was, but still think a witness would have to testify without prompting, and be able to stand up to cross examination. The business of the bird being evidence, not a witness doesn't seem to be working for me.

I understand a drug sniffing dog can be used as reasonable cause for a search, but can they be used as evidence?
Blickers

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2016 12:18 am
@roger,
Can't imagine a bird being a witness. Imagine being sent to the gas chamber because of a bird's testimony? PETA might applaud, but I can't think of anyone else.
0 Replies