Connotations of the word REACTIVE

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 07:51 am
Guys,
what connotations does the adjective REACTIVE evoke? Are these only negative? I mean versus PRO-ACTIVE.

Thanks a million!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 927 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 09:32 am
@sofijka09,
Simply put, it's a neutral word. It can be either positive or negative as to effects or consequences. It is quick response (not necessarily premeditated or perhaps thought-out) to a stimulus of an event or circumstance.

See the following link for definition:
http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/reactive
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 11:15 am
In many contexts, reactive can be opposed by proactive. For example, business or lifestyle gurus often use these words to describe opposite ends of a spectrum of personality types or to describe types of business strategy.

Reactive strategies are those that respond to (react to) some unanticipated event only after it occurs, while proactive strategies are designed to anticipate possible challenges. Because no one can anticipate every possibility, no person or organization can be proactive in every situation. However, people or businesses that emphasize proactive strategy are usually more effective at dealing with challenges. (Allegedly).

If you don't buy this snake oil, many "proactive" people just look like assholes.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2016 02:00 pm
@sofijka09,
The negative connotation is not to the word "reactive" but to the word "reactionary", which means re-instituting the situation of the past, frequently by force, and being opposed to progress.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 07:40 am
Reactive makes me think of something that contributes to a chemical reaction.
0 Replies