Morley Safer exits at 84, CBS News, 60 Minutes

Sturgis

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 11:59 am
Long time news correspondent at CBS News, Toronto native, Morley Safer has died at the tender age of 84. Just a week ago he announced his retirement.

www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-morley-safer-dies-at-84
Quote:
Morley Safer, the CBS newsman who changed war reporting forever when he showed GIs burning the hits of Vietnamese villages and went on to become the iconic 60 Minutes correspondent....

A huge presence on 60 Minutes for 46 years--Safer enjoyed the longest run anyone ever had on prime time network television.

He is survived by his wife of 48 years, Jane, one daughter,Sarah Bakal, her husband, Alexander Bakal, three grandchildren, a sister, and brother, both of Toronto.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,195 • Replies: 3
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 01:29 pm
@Sturgis,
I almost didn't click on this because I'd heard he was leaving the show but I had not heard that he died.

I thought he and Mike Wallace were permanent. I grew up with them on my TV every Sunday -- the only time of the week my father insisted on us being quiet. I think 60 Minutes was my dad's version of church. He wanted us all to worship there.

He will be missed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 01:50 pm
@Sturgis,
RIP Morley Safer

It's big big media news here. Not only is he Morley Safer of 60 Minutes but a lot of the older media people knew him in his early early radio days. They've been playing some ancient tapes. Kind of great to hear.

I'm another of the growing up with 60 Minutes generation.

His voice will be missed.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 01:57 pm
Pretty sad news. I listened to 60 Minutes show in the late '60s...caught Safer when he joined in 1970 and his reports about VietNam. Listening regularly from 1970 onward, it was a constant beacon for me. Respected and liked him a lot. RIP
0 Replies