Is The Bible Just a Good Book?

oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 03:25 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Your bigoted account of actions by the Turks, who were only nominally Muslims,

Hardly bigoted to point out that they invaded and conquered other countries without justification.

That's exactly what they did do.

Setanta wrote:
does not in any way authorize the bullshit you post.

My posts are entirely factual. That's why you've never once been able to point out something that I am wrong about.

Setanta wrote:
I'm not going to trash this thread with an account of all the things you routinely get wrong.

You can't point out a single thing that I've ever gotten wrong.

Setanta wrote:
You live in a twisted right-wing fantasy land, one of the most prominent features of which is an irrational hatred of Muslims.

No I don't.
oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 03:26 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Brandon's post has nothing to say about the probability of an afterlife.

That is incorrect. It strongly implied that it is an established fact that there is no afterlife.

I said no such thing. I said that there is insufficient evidence to justify the belief that a supernatural being created the universe.

You said:

"Because it tells people what they want to hear, e.g. they won't really die, most of their enemies will be punished, etc. Some people will choose the comforting, easy answer over a complex, difficult, somewhat unpleasant truth"

http://able2know.org/topic/317382-2#post-6161717
oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 03:27 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
oralloy wrote:
That doesn't mean that there can't be something happening that we don't understand.

Sure, and we also can't prove that the vanguard of an alien invasion isn't lurking behind Neptune, but that is hardly justification for actively believing it is so.

Indeed. Thus it is irrational to believe that there is definitely no afterlife when there is no evidence to support that conclusion.
farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 03:53 am
@oralloy,
so I guess you believe in the existence of basilisks and unicorns based on that same rationale.
Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 04:00 am
@oralloy,
I have pointed out that your "facts" are no actually true, time and again. As i said, i'm not going to trash this thread arguing your idiocy.
oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 04:00 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
so I guess you believe in the existence of basilisks and unicorns based on that same rationale.

That's a rather odd question.

No. No such belief.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 04:03 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I have pointed out that your "facts" are no actually true, time and again.

You've made empty claims about untrue facts. You've never actually managed to point out anything untrue on my part however.

Setanta wrote:
As i said, i'm not going to trash this thread arguing your idiocy.

Hardly idiocy for me to add pertinent facts to a thread.
Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 04:05 am
@oralloy,
Your "facts" are lies based on your political bigotry, such as your irrational hatred of Muslims.
oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 04:11 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Your "facts" are lies based on your political bigotry,

No, my facts are all completely true. That's why you've never been able to point out something that I've been wrong about.

Setanta wrote:
such as your irrational hatred of Muslims.

Hardly irrational of me to not want Muslims to murder me and steal my land.

Hardly hateful also.
Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 04:16 am
@oralloy,
I've pointed out that your "facts" are not true time and again. Your denials are meaningless in the face of the evidence at this site.

I keep forgetting that Muslims are going to invade Michigan and take over your parents' basement. Silly me.
oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 06:22 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I've pointed out that your "facts" are not true time and again.

Your denial of facts does not prevent them from being true.

Setanta wrote:
Your denials are meaningless in the face of the evidence at this site.

The evidence shows that you cannot even point out a single case of me being wrong.

Setanta wrote:
I keep forgetting that Muslims are going to invade Michigan and take over your parents' basement. Silly me.

Yes. You are being silly. The US military does an excellent job of dronestriking Muslims.

What is really nice is that they often use thermobaric warheads when they do dronestrikes. The temperatures inside a thermobaric fireball exceed 4,000 degrees. I forget if that is Fahrenheit or Celsius, but it hardly matters. Even though a thermobaric fireball only lasts for a fraction of a second, that is hot enough to instantly cause whole-body third degree burns. All the terrorists get nice and crispy. It's why so often in dronestrikes the bodies are all charred but otherwise completely intact.

Picture of a thermobaric cookout:
http://media.defenceindustrydaily.com/images/ORD_Thermobaric.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 06:27 am
You're a liar and a delusional loon. I've pointed out that your "facts" about the crusades are not facts at all. I've pointed out that your narrative for the firebombing of Dresden is fact-free, and provided source material from the United States Air Force historical department's web site.

But what is hilarious is that you actually believe that Muslims are coming for you. If they were so unfortunate as to learn of your paltry existence, i'm sure their reaction would be uproarious laughter.
oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 06:53 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You're a liar and a delusional loon.

All of my facts are completely true. That is why you are perpetually unable to point out even a single fact that I am wrong about.

Setanta wrote:
I've pointed out that your "facts" about the crusades are not facts at all.

Your denial of history does not change the reality that the Crusades were provoked by the destruction of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher (which inflamed public opinion in western Europe), and the invasion and conquest of part of the Byzantine Empire (which led the Emperor to request military support from western governments).

Setanta wrote:
I've pointed out that your narrative for the firebombing of Dresden is fact-free,

Your denial of history does not change the reality that US bombers used radar guidance to try to drop their bombs on the Dresden railyards, and had nothing to do with the firestorm that caused so many deaths (a firestorm that was deliberately caused by British bombers).

Setanta wrote:
and provided source material from the United States Air Force historical department's web site.

Source material that confirmed that everything I said was completely true.

What was really funny is that you originally learned about that source material from me. I got quite a chuckle having you point it out to me as if I somehow didn't already know it forwards and backwards.

But humor aside, the important thing was the fact that the source material that you linked confirmed that everything I said is true.

You are welcome to post even more evidence that everything I say is completely true. I won't complain.

Setanta wrote:
But what is hilarious is that you actually believe that Muslims are coming for you. If they were so unfortunate as to learn of your paltry existence, i'm sure their reaction would be uproarious laughter.

As I said, thermobaric dronestrikes get the Muslims nice and crispy.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 09:51 am
@oralloy,
My point is - 'Truth', historical, is unproveable - For we must accept what others tell us, and we can't KNOW if what we're told is based on fact (whatever that is) or not.
The romans obliterated (So we accept Smile) Carthage, salted the entire area (prevent regrowth, etc) and erased the Carthaginian empire (So they believed) from existence.

I take bugger-all as 'fact' anymore.
mark noble

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 09:56 am
@oralloy,
Again - Were you there? Did you witness it? Record it?
Nope.
Even if you were there - Why should I believe you, or your version of the (any) event?
And your recordings? - Video, audio, aug-rept, etc - All are corruptable.
0 Replies

tvfan

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 03:50 pm
What's "good" about it? Nice poetic translation, but the contradictory, bloodthirsty content is another matter. Iron age rules for cleaning mildew off tents and making it mandatory to impregnate your brother's widow (even if you are already married), are only some of the inglorious content. Major influence on art and music, but check out when and how the thing was assembled, then compare the various "Christian" versions, which vary in the number and sequence of books, even the content of the Ten Commandments so fetishized by those who usually prefer their form of Sharia law (at least in the US) to the secular laws they swore to uphold. Last week a highway cop was fired because he refused to stop proselytizing on the job whenever he stopped someone and had a helpless audience. Check out the chaotic early Church councils and check YouTube videos by Robert Price and Bart Ehrman and the truth will set you free.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 07:09 pm
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:
I think we agree on the conclusion. My point was that if one comes to a conclusion in an irrational manner, no amount of rationality will dissuade him.

If one comes to a conclusion in an irrational manner, one is very likely to be incorrect.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 07:10 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Brandon's post has nothing to say about the probability of an afterlife.

That is incorrect. It strongly implied that it is an established fact that there is no afterlife.

I said no such thing. I said that there is insufficient evidence to justify the belief that a supernatural being created the universe.

You said:

"Because it tells people what they want to hear, e.g. they won't really die, most of their enemies will be punished, etc. Some people will choose the comforting, easy answer over a complex, difficult, somewhat unpleasant truth"

http://able2know.org/topic/317382-2#post-6161717

How does this imply that it is an established fact that there is no afterlife? I only said that it is what people want to hear. I said that there is insufficient basis for believing these things, not that they're false. I cannot prove that something invisible isn't happening by magic, but I can and do assert that there is little if any basis for believing it.
oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 07:16 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
My point is - 'Truth', historical, is unproveable - For we must accept what others tell us, and we can't KNOW if what we're told is based on fact (whatever that is) or not.

That's why people do archaeological digs to see what was really there. If archaeological finds contradict a claim, then we know the claim was probably false. If they confirm a claim, then we know it was probably true.

The writings of one society can also be cross referenced with the writings of other societies.

For example, Egyptian writings include a pharaoh bragging of having wiped out the Israelites around 1200 BC. And archaeological finds show that a distinct culture had developed in the West Bank area around 1200 BC that seems to conform to the Israelite way of life. Thus it can safely be assumed that the Israelite culture existed in the West Bank at this time.
oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 07:24 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
How does this imply that it is an established fact that there is no afterlife? I only said that it is what people want to hear. I said that there is insufficient basis for believing these things, not that they're false.

You referred to the alternative as an unpleasant truth. Saying that one of the options is a truth, is claiming that that option is the one that reflects reality.