What the Bundys Really Are About-Rachel Maddow Hits a Home Run

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 12:17 am
Ever wonder what the Oregon protestors are going on about with all this nutty "Sheriff this, sheriff that" talk? It goes back to white supremacist Reconstruction Days down South-and amazingly the media hasn't caught on, except for Rachel. Watch the video, you'll know more at the end of it than the reporters covering the Malheur "occupation", or whatever it is.

McGentrix

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 12:57 pm
Didn't watch the video, but I bet she is wrong.

Sheriff this and Sheriff that goes back to Common Law and the Sheriff being "the law of the land".

http://www.nationallibertyalliance.org/countysheriff

Blickers

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 01:43 pm
@McGentrix,
And you would be wrong about Rachel being wrong, although I am sure you are unwilling to consider the thought of her being right about anything. She goes into the history of the idea of posse comitatus, (which started in Reconstruction), as well as the group Posse Comitatus, one of whose early members started a sub-group in that movement which is where the Bundys get all their ideas.

Watch the video, and you will understand why Finicum said that he would surrender to the sheriff ONLY-not the Feds or the Oregon state cops.
McGentrix

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:20 pm
@Blickers,
I wasn't aware that Reconstruction was taking place in the 16th and 17th centuries when Posse comitatus was part of English Common law. You want sooooo bad to villianize these people that you will believe any thing you read so long as it fits your narrative. It's a common flaw you have that spreads itself all across A2K. You will only focus on small, nearly insignificant flaws that you find while ignoring anything that goes against your mindset.

Now you find some liberal lip service that tells you it is racism and you just want to believe so bad that you won't even take a quick look to see the truth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_comitatus_(common_law)

Shame on you.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:23 pm
@McGentrix,
seriously?

you're linking to an oathkeeper site

man
McGentrix

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:28 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

seriously?

you're linking to an oathkeeper site

man

wikipedia? Get over yourself.

Does the site I use void the facts? What site would be acceptable to you?

Do your own search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=posse+comitatus&oq=posse+comitatus&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=sheriff+as+only+recognized+law+
Blickers

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 01:10 am
@McGentrix,
Still didn't watch Maddow's video, did you? Yes, the sheriff was the big thing over in England back when accused thieves were thrown in the lake to see if they float, but it had no significance in America until Reconstruction, when the South wanted the North to go home and let them run their own states again, which they did eventually. Several decades later, a Southern activist, William Gale, tried merging the Olde Englishe Sheriff idea with the Southern desire to limit the authority of Washington, and that's what the idea that Bundy is pushing. Incidentally the group Posse Comitatus is violent, has been linked with such violent groups as The Order.

Because of this obscure and imbecilic idea, those poor slobs are stranded out in a bird refuge trying to figure out how to get out of this without being arrested. Note the touching farewell dance and message:

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 01:21 am
@McGentrix,
Great site you linked to there, McG . . . very entertaining. I particularly loved this passage:

The Bill of Rights makes clear two (2) things (1) A well regulated malitia [sic] is an unalienable right and (2) a well regulated malitia [sic] is necessary to our security.

The sheriff is not the law of the land, and never was. The reeve of the shire (shire-reeve) was a royal official charged with assuring that the king's orders were carried out. The king was the law of the land, or tried to be.

Conservatives seem to like to make sh*t up as they go along.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 02:20 am
@McGentrix,
By the way, I did read your link, and I still don't see any justification for the idea that the Sheriff alone is the only person who has any authority. It is true that common law, based on the commonly understood unwritten laws of England, are sometimes referred to in judicial proceedings but Bundy and the Oathkeepers seem to think that they can say, "In Olde England hundreds of years ago the Sheriff was the big deal, common law, (Old English customs and unwritten law) is sometimes recognized in American courts for some situations, so America's entire legal and judicial system must match the way they ran things in England 400 years ago.

And you complain about other people's sources?
djjd62

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 06:56 am
Rachel Maddow Hits a Home Run

with her Pete Rose haircut I don't doubt it
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 12:43 pm
@Blickers,
You started this with "Ever wonder what the Oregon protestors are going on about with all this nutty "Sheriff this, sheriff that" talk?"

I told you where it originated. The Sheriff is the only elected law enforcement agent in the country. I shared a link stating where the belief comes from and as always, when you can't argue the point being made, attack the source. At least Setanta, whose knowledge of history I don't even bother questioning anymore, made an attempt to show the history of the sheriff. However, I have a wholle bunch of other links, maybe one will stand up to your scrutiny, or most likely won't as you have it set in your head that these guys must be racist because Maddow said so.

PRINTZ, SHERIFF/CORONER, RAVALLI COUNTY, MONTANA v. UNITED STATES
In Mack/Printz v USA, the U S Supreme Court declared that the states or their political subdivisions, "are not subject to federal direction." The issue of federal authority is defined even further in this most powerful Tenth Amendment decision. The two sheriffs who brought the suit objected to being forced into federal service without compensation pursuant to some misguided provisions of the Brady Bill. The sheriffs sued the USA (Clinton adm.) and won a major landmark case in favor of States' Rights and local autonomy. In this ruling by the Supreme Court, some amazing principles were exposed regarding the lack of power and authority the federal government actually has. In fact, this is exactly the issue addressed by the court when Justice Scalia opined for the majority stating, "...the Constitution's conferral upon Congress of not all governmental powers, but only discreet, enumerated ones."

Scalia then quotes the basis of the sheriffs' suit in quoting the Tenth Amendment which affirms the limited powers doctrine, "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution...are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." To clarify this point, we need to understand that the powers and jurisdiction granted to the federal government are few, precise, and expressly defined. The feds have their assignments within constitutional boundaries and the states have theirs, as well. Scalia also mentions this, "It is incontestable that the Constitution established a system of dual sovereignty" and that the states retained "a residuary and inviolable sovereignty." Scalia even goes so far as to detail who is responsible to keep the federal government in their proper place, if or when they
decide to go beyond their allotted authority. In doing so he quotes James Madison; "The local or municipal authorities form distinct and independent portions of the supremacy, no more subject, within their respective spheres, to the general authority [federal government] than the general authority is subject to them, within its own sphere." (The Federalist # 39) Thus, the federal government has no more authority to compel the states or the counties to do anything, no more so than the Prime Minister of Canada has.

National Sheriff's Association
Quote:
What is the difference between a Sheriff's Office and a Sheriff's Department?

Black's Law Dictionary defines the terms as follows:

DEPARTMENT: "One of the major divisions of the executive branch of the government....generally, a branch or division of governmental administration."

OFFICE: "A right, and correspondent duty, to exercise public trust as an office. A public charge of employment... the most frequent occasions to use the word arise with reference to a duty and power conferred on an individual by the government, and when this is the connection, public office is a usual and more discriminating expression... in the constitutional sense, the term implies an authority to exercise some portion of the sovereign power either in making, executing, or administering the laws."

The Office of Sheriff is not simply another "department" of county government. The internal operation of an Office of Sheriff is the sole responsibility of the elected Sheriff. County department heads are subordinate to a county governing body, because a "department" is truly only a division of county government. The Office of Sheriff is a statutory/constitutional office having exclusive powers and authority under state law and/or state constitution. These inherent powers are not subject to the dictates of a local county governing body.

The Office of Sheriff has inherent common law powers and sovereignty granted under a state's constitution and/or state law. It is different from a county department which derives its limited authority from whatever is delegated to is by statute or by state constitution.

The use of the term "Department" implies being a subordinate unit of government (i.e. subordinate to local government - "delegated" authority from county government to a Department). The use of the term "Office" implies inherent powers and independent sovereignty.

We have people living in our country that see the federal government as the enemy. I don't side by these people, I don't have any desire to associate with these people, but I do sympathize with them and instead of deriding and mocking them, I try to understand them.

Rachel Maddow is a liberal shill that will villainize anyone that doesn't agree with her. I compare her to Glen Beck. Think how much respect you have for Glen Beck, that's how I see Maddow. There is nothing she says that should even be slightly considered true.

You brought up the group named "Posse comitatus" as an example to these people to which I can only shake my head and wonder why you would feel that either group was associated with the other. Do you have anything linking them? Any literature shared or quotes being made by Bundy?

An apple is a fruit and an orange is a fruit, but an apple ain't an orange.

Posse Comitatus Act
Quote:
The Posse Comitatus Act is a United States federal law (18 U.S.C. § 1385, original at 20 Stat. 152) signed on June 18, 1878 by President Rutherford B. Hayes. The purpose of the act – in concert with the Insurrection Act of 1807 – is to limit the powers of the federal government in using federal military personnel to enforce domestic policies within the United States. It was passed as an amendment to an army appropriation bill following the end of Reconstruction, and was subsequently updated in 1956 and 1981.

The Act only specifically applies to the United States Army and, as amended in 1956, the United States Air Force. While the Act does not explicitly mention the United States Navy and the United States Marine Corps, due to them being naval services, the Department of the Navy has prescribed regulations that are generally construed to give the Act force with respect to those services as well. The Act does not apply to the Army and Air National Guard under state authority from acting in a law enforcement capacity within its home state or in an adjacent state if invited by that state's governor. The United States Coast Guard, which operates under the Department of Homeland Security, is not covered by the Posse Comitatus Act either, primarily because although the Coast Guard is an armed service, it also has both a maritime law enforcement mission and a federal regulatory agency mission.

You can see that this act was not founded in racism nor by some southern racists.
parados

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 12:52 pm
@McGentrix,
Gosh. Not only are you wrong but she gives the history you are presenting as her getting wrong.

She differentiates between posse comitatus from common law and the posse comitatus statute passed in the 1870s. She presents much of the same stuff you are presenting so either she is right or you are wrong. (Actually, you are wrong either way since you have to admit you were wrong about her being right for her to be right when you agree with her.)
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2016 12:32 am
@McGentrix,
Quote McGentrix:
Quote:
I shared a link stating where the belief comes from and as always, when you can't argue the point being made, attack the source.

Your "source" was an Oathkeepers militia site which made a vague reference to "common law" as the justification for saying the county sheriff is the ONLY law in the land you have to follow, that state and Federal officials don't count. Sorry, but you have to do better than that.

PRINTZ, SHERIFF/CORONER, RAVALLI COUNTY, MONTANA v. UNITED STATES
Two things. First, this decision in no way says the county Sheriff is the only law enforcement officer with legal authority over the citizenry. What this decision says is that the county Sheriffs do not have follow a complex procedure the Brady Bill outlined to enforce the checking of applications for the purchase of firearms-that the county Sheriff is not required to administer a legal program passed by the Federal government. In no way, shape or form does this decision mean the state police cannot arrest you or the FBI cannot arrest you. But that is what Bundy claims. Check the video which contains news video clips of Bundy saying this, from 13:15 to 15:15. It's only two minutes, it won't kill you.

Neither of your sources deal with this vital question in the least, and that Supreme Court reference was a smokescreen, because it didn't even come close to saying anything like Bundy was.

Now one more thing to mention. Your entire commentary on the Supreme Court Printz decision was not only silly, it was plagiarized. It comes from the website of a whack job named Richard Mack, a former sheriff who started the Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association. He's another one who promulgates Bundy's weird ideas about how only the sheriff can arrest anyone. He was with Bundy at the Nevada standoff, and he admitted he was the ghoul who came up with the idea of the militants using women and children as human shields so that if any Fed fires, the video will show a Fed killing a woman or child. Here's the place where "your" analysis is actually from:
http://constitutionallawenforcementassoc.blogspot.com/

Shame on you.

0 Replies