not only to ; sentence. Is it grammatically correct?

unison

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 01:38 am
I am an English teacher in Korea. Please help me to teach correct English to my students.

I don't think the following sentence is grammatically or logically correct.

1. At the office, it is important not only to look good and fit in; it's also unusual for men and women to outdress their coworkers.-Is this grammatically or logically correct, for I think it is violating parallelism, not only A but also.

I think the following is correct. "In the office, it is not only important to look good and fit in, but also unusual for men and women to outdress their co-workers."

Please let Grammarians or Logicians know whether the sentence is correct or not, grammatically or logically, will you?

2. Protected area and practice have changed dramatically over the past century, in response to societal values, conservation politics, and scientific understanding, and ever-increasing human environmental impacts.

-This sentence has two 'ands' in a series. Is 'two ands' correct in this sentence? I think the first 'and' should be omittied, or the last 'and' should be replaced with 'semi-colon'.

Please help me to teach correct English. Thank you in advance for your time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 690 • Replies: 7
No top replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 10:57 am
@unison,
I'd go with co-workers.
Modern grammatical changes are doing away with hyphenations, but it's your shout
Co-operation is now cooperation.
I'm a hyphenator, myself - And They'll never stop me!!!
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 02:02 pm
Mark, he wasn't asking about the hyphen.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 02:21 pm
Quote:
At the office, it is important not only to look good and fit in; it's also unusual for men and women to outdress their coworkers

This first sentence is fine. It does not need altering.

Quote:
In the office, it is not only important to look good and fit in, but also unusual for men and women to outdress their co-workers.

This alternative formulation is also fine.

Quote:
Protected area and practice have changed dramatically over the past century, in response to societal values, conservation politics, and scientific understanding, and ever-increasing human environmental impacts.

The section I have highlighted in red is a 'comma-separated list'. Commas should separate all except the penultimate and final items, which are usually separated by 'and', 'or or 'nor''. Thus it should be written thus:

societal values, conservation politics, scientific understanding, and ever-increasing human environmental impacts.

Note that the serial comma after 'understanding' is optional - there are two alternative conventions:

1. The Oxford or Harvard comma is a serial comma or series comma placed immediately before the coordinating conjunction (usually and, or, or nor) in a series of three or more terms:

I like apples, pears, and oranges.

Many, but not all, North American English style guides consider it mandatory.

2. The Cambridge comma: the final serial comma is omitted unless necessary to avoid ambiguity.

I like apples, pears and oranges.

Many, but not all, British English style guides recommend the Cambridge convention, notable exceptions being those produced by Oxford University.

Sometimes it is difficult to avoid ambiguity without splitting the list: The London "Times" newspaper once published an unintentionally humorous description of a Peter Ustinov documentary, noting that "highlights of his global tour include encounters with Nelson Mandela, an 800-year-old demigod and a dildo collector." This would still be ambiguous if a serial comma were added, as Mandela could then be mistaken for a demigod, although he would be precluded from being a dildo collector.

0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 06:25 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
You sure?
He certainly altered 'coworkers' to 'co-workers'.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 07:49 am
Well, hyphenation of compound nouns is optional these days, but it is not yet incorrect, and unlikely to become so.
mark noble

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 08:12 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Agreed - But do you prefer 'coworkers' over 'co-workers'?
Communication is the point, I guess.
I just see 'coworkers' as a kinda cow-worker derivitive.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 08:21 am
@mark noble,
I prefer co-workers.
0 Replies