to whistle-blow

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 07:22 am
I’ve found such words as whistle-blower(n) (a person who informs on someone engaged in an illicit activity) and whistle-blowing (n, adj) (the act of telling the authorities or the public that the organization you are working for is doing something immoral or illegal.). The dictionaries have no verb To whistle-blow. Is it possible to form and use the verb to whistle-blow ad hoc, for example in this context: Did she whistle-blow it to the authorities?
Please, explain your point of view if it is impossible. Could you give any examples of hypothetical verbs coined from existing nouns in –ing, -er, and adjectives in –ing and –ed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 435 • Replies: 1
No top replies

engineer

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 07:28 am
@mimischka,
New words are created all the time. The question is really are you communicating effectively. I think if you said "Did she whistle-blow it to the authorities?", people would know what you meant. I don't think it would be the best sentence, but that is another matter. As an example, "tebowing" came about by people mimicking a sports figure named "Tebow".
0 Replies