correct grammar?

claser

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 04:38 pm
The four years I spend as an undergraduate are therefore important as a thorough preparation for graduate school

can it be phrased more concisely?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 422 • Replies: 11
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by claser
dalehileman
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 05:09 pm
@claser,
I guess the grammar is okay but to me, Clas, it seems somehow redundant, and some of us might be unsure just what's meant. Maybe need context. But how about

My four years as an undergraduate proved adequate as preparation for graduate school

Punk, Con, WB, MS, help
claser

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 05:25 pm
@dalehileman,
Thanks, that looks less convoluted, but in the wrong tense.
Here I changed it: "My four years as an undergraduate must prove adequate as preparation for graduate school. "
layman

Reply Sun 22 Nov, 2015 05:49 pm
@claser,
What you have is fine. It sounds a little tautological though. Undergrad, then grad.

Not saying this is really any better, but for purposes of avoiding semi-redundancy, you could say something like:

The four years I spend as an undergraduate are therefore important as a thorough preparation for continuing higher education.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 12:30 pm
@claser,
Well thanks Clas, it's not every....

Quote:
...must prove adequate...
That's pretty good too

Edited to remark, ah yes,

http://onelook.com/?w=tautological&ls=a

Well put, Clas
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 12:33 pm
@layman,
Quote:
are therefore important as a thorough preparation
Lay, that "thorough" somehow still bothers me, wile the entire sentence, expressed that way, seems disjointed or redundant

Help, some one of you guys much smarter than me
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 01:53 pm
@claser,
Therefore, my four years as an undergraduate are essential to preparation for graduate school.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 02:14 pm
@Glennn,
Grammar I guess okay and yes Glenn thanks, but somehow "aren't they always" pops into mind as if it goes without sayin'

So of course I consulted BH, much smarter than I, and she responded, "But what about the three-year stint or even six," implying of course context in which the subject had been considering another sort of sked

"A comparison made between the success of those doing three years compared with the usual stint showed the latter far more successful. Therefore, my four years as an undergraduate did indeed prove essential for graduate school"

"Preparation" seeming to me at least, redundant, while "as an undergraduate" also seems redundant

Help, help the resta you guys
Glennn

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 02:23 pm
@dalehileman,
I've got it!

Therefore, it goes without saying that my four years as an undergraduate are essential to my success in graduate school. :-)
dalehileman

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 02:24 pm
@Glennn,
Glenn, good work
Glennn

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 02:28 pm
@dalehileman,
And I would follow the OP's statement with: Perhaps after graduate school, I will no longer find myself stating that which goes without saying. :-)

To the OP: I mean that in fun.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2015 03:42 pm
@Glennn,
Glenn, again makes my day
0 Replies