Can I get a cockatiel if I own a cat?

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 04:14 pm
I own an indoor female cat, declawed, and I want to get a cockatiel. I just am worried, should I or not? Advice? Thanks.

View best answer, chosen by Echo Night
djjd62

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 04:24 pm
cats are evil vile creatures, you would do well to avoid being hung over near a cat

depending on your tolerance to alcohol, i would suggest no more than 2 cocktails if you own a cat
Echo Night

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 04:30 pm
@djjd62,
I was talking about the bird cockatiel....
Not an alcoholic drink...
Advice anybody?
Echo Night

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 04:54 pm
@Echo Night,
Please help.
0 Replies

Slugfoot

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 04:57 pm
@Echo Night,
I don't think you should.
Also, I don't think you should get any more cats if you have to get them declawed.
roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 05:14 pm
@Slugfoot,
I think it would probably be okay as the cockatiel will normally be caged. It does kind of depend on the temperament of the cat.

Yeah, I only accept declawing if the only other choice is to have the cat put away, and would never accept it in the case of a new cat to the household.
Echo Night

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 05:31 pm
@Slugfoot,
Thanks, but we had to. She is only indoor, only goes outside when we brush her in the spring (with a tagged collar and harness with leash) so she can't run away.
Thanks again
0 Replies

Echo Night

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 05:33 pm
@roger,
Thank you!
My cat is declawed. She is only an indoor cat however.
She is five years old, we declawed her at 3 months
oralloy

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 08:12 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
I think it would probably be okay as the cockatiel will normally be caged. It does kind of depend on the temperament of the cat.

I concur with Roger. It will probably be OK.

But cats will try to kill birds. If you get a bird, you should realize that something could always go wrong.

Try to keep the birdcage in a position where the cat will not have easy access to it. And remember that cats can climb, and leap through the air.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 08:33 pm
Yeah, cats and cockatiels should never be together.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2015 09:02 pm
@Echo Night,
I don't think it's a good idea. Cats don't have to have claws to overpower a bird, they have pretty nimble arms and paws. We had a big (15 lb) ginger cat who didn't like mr. g'bag doing stretching exercises before his softball games and would attack his ankle and calf. He held on so tight I had to pry him off his leg.

Cats aren't evil but they invent games for themselves. They like to play hunt in the house, but they could pose a danger to semi-small birds with hollow bones. The bird will be curious about the cat and vice versa, they could be great pals. When I was a kid I had a parakeet who would perch on the cocker spaniels head. The dog let her horse around with his teeth and ears, but there was one day the bird was flying low thru the house, when she flew toward the dogs head he grabbed he with his mouth. My mother stated screaming and took the bird out of Benji's mouth. I don't think the dog meant to hurt her, he just stood shook still like he shocked himself. The bird was fine, and I don't remember any more incidents. But anytime you have 2 different species as pets, you need to be very vigilant.
0 Replies