Guilt over leaving husband and children

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2015 08:16 pm
I am 72,many years ago I walked out on my husband and 3 boys for another man.I kept in touch with boys and saw them almost every day. The boys are grown up now and 2 have families, one of the sons lives with me( he has mental problems) I lived with the other man for 28 years and left him 10 years ago, he was getting abusive . I have this terrible guilt about leaving the family all those yeas ago. The guilt is so bad I have considered suicide many times. I think about it all the time, how could I have done such a terrible thing to the people I love so much? The guilt will not go away, it is with me every minute of the day and is getting worse. I know the boys have forgiven me for leaving them, but I still feel so awful about it, I had to write it down and tell someone. I also have another problem, when I was a small child about 4 years old my father beat my mother up for not going out with him to the movies, this memory has haunted me all my life, and my stomach turns over every time I think about it after all these years, I just want it to go away, can someone please help me?
Thank you so much.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 581 • Replies: 1

jespah

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2015 09:43 am
@oldlady123,
That someone needs to be a trained counselor. This is precisely why that profession exists. Ask your primary care physician for a referral.
0 Replies