Night Terror

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 11:28 pm
So it's my first night in a new house and my friend had stayed the night, we had been moving all day and we're tired so we fell asleep at 11:00, around 1:30 in the morning I heard something that caused to me wake up, it was a shuffling sound but I couldn't tell what it was and it was dark as all hell in the room, but then my eyes adjusted and I saw my friend Steven spazzing out on the floor kicking the wall and everything, he then started screaming for his life "stop hitting me, please stop" about 3 times in a row. He sounded like he was in fear of losing his life and my first thought was that somebody had broken into the house and was well, killing him. So scared out of my mind I jumped out of bed and turned the light on but no one was there, upon turning the light on my friend bolted up right and asked what was going on, he had no memory of what was going on and then he fell right back asleep, I tried to go back to sleep as well but I just couldn't, something didn't feel right. I decided to just get up and do some research on night terrors and I found multiple accounts of people saying that they believe they are caused by evil spirits. I didn't wanna go back to bed cause to be honest I was scared and I also wanted to stay up with my friend to make sure that he was alright, he ended up waking up at about 4:00 am and I told him what happened and about what I read online, he said that he's been having night terrors for years now and that he hasn't had one in a long time, he also told me that whenever he used to sleep with his rosary on a him that he wouldn't have them( by the way he did not have his rosary on him that night)... It just seems weird that he hasn't had a night terror in a long time and when he finally does again it's in my new house, it's also weird that he doesn't have them when signs of Christ/the lord is with him, what do you guys think about this? Should I have a priest bless him or even my house?

jespah

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 06:13 am
@Michaeljohnson2676,
Or he could have just had a bad dream (or perhaps a seizure) while staying in an unfamiliar house under a fairly stressful situation.

Suggest to him that he call a doctor and ask about a possible seizure disorder.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 06:23 am
Yeah, I'd shy away from the "evil" and the efficacy of the rosary stuff and go towards something embedded in his past that is giving him nightmares. Abusive parent or relative, for example. No need to get religious about something as mundane as nightmares, no matter how severe. I've woken up more than one roommate in the middle of th enight over the years. It happens. Weren't no devil or evil spirits involved. Just bad memories rising to the surface.
Michaeljohnson2676

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 12:52 pm
@FBM,
He was never abused by his parents or relatives he was raised by a decent family, he said that when he does have the night terrors it's the same dream everytime, an all black figure stomping on his head and chest for minutes on end and then shooting and killing him...
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 01:42 pm
How old is this guy?

Night terrors are common for youth, but when they get into the adult stage, then medical intervention is needed.

Also - drinking or eating before meals?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 01:47 pm
@Michaeljohnson2676,
Night terrors aren't usually that specific. Sounds more like traditional nightmares. Nothing spiritual/religious to it.

He should probably diary his eating/drinking/activity patterns for a while if he starts having nightmares regularly and then review those with a doctor.
0 Replies

Michaeljohnson2676

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 03:29 pm
@PUNKEY,
He's 15 turning 16 in about a month
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 05:28 pm
@Michaeljohnson2676,
I used to have one nightmare over and over when I was that age. I grew out of it. Didn't need any exorcism or other magic.
onevoice

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 08:17 pm
@Michaeljohnson2676,
I have had personal experience with the spiritual influence that can be behind some dreams. But for the sanity sake of everyone here, and also not wanting to instill any fear in you, I will refrain from sharing it and will instead tell you this... There are dreams that can be spiritually influenced, but more often than not, it is the persons subconscious bringing to light a buried memory, or even perhaps a hidden fear... It's hard to say really as we are bombarded with so much on a daily basis from every direction. It certainly would not hurt for him to talk to someone about it and dig a little deeper to see if he can find the source of the dream. Living in fear sucks, but remember this... The only power anything or anyone has over you or your mind is the power you give to it or them by concentrating of what is causing the fear or issue. Smile I hope that helps at least a little. Lol
Michaeljohnson2676

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 10:07 pm
@onevoice,
I know you said you didn't wanna share your dream or get into details but I would appreciate it if you would because I'm trying to get to the bottom of it
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 02:58 am
@Michaeljohnson2676,
Michaeljohnson2676 wrote:
So scared out of my mind I jumped out of bed and turned the light on but no one was there, upon turning the light on my friend bolted up right and asked what was going on, he had no memory of what was going on and then he fell right back asleep,

Michaeljohnson2676 wrote:

he said that he's been having night terrors for years now and that he hasn't had one in a long time, he also told me that whenever he used to sleep with his rosary on a him that he wouldn't have them

These two statements are contradictory, if he had no memory of the night terror you observed he can't be sure he never had any when he was clutching his rosary. Take the advice given and seek medical help. If you want to get your house blessed by a priest that's up to you, but your friend needs to see a doctor.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 05:51 pm
I don't believe I am the only one who has experienced this. But I used to have recurring nightmares about being forced to eat a giant marshmallow. They lasted until I stopped buying pillows.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 06:31 pm
@neologist,
I remember that joke, as it was the only joke I was ever able to tell, myself. I'd be a terrible comedian.

I don't know about night terrors, and agree with seeing a doctor. That said, I've only had something at all like it once, well, for a few days a couple of years ago, after I was prescribed a medication for itchy skin by a dermatologist, a matter that has luckily gone away without the meds, which I stopped taking the minute I connected them to the hallucinating type experience. I bring that up since m.d.'s generally are the ones who can help your friend figure out what is going on.

My short experience with that really threw me, as I don't remember having any nightmares at all, my whole rather long life.... interesting dreams, yes, but not nightmares.
neologist

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 06:36 pm
@ossobuco,
That was a joke?
Blimey!
When my friend Pete told me that, I thought it was true; so I repeated it as my own
I've been duped!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 08:46 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I used to have one nightmare over and over when I was that age. I grew out of it. Didn't need any exorcism or other magic.

Amazing how superstitions, like thinking holding a rosary will keep something bad from happening, get engrained in us.

When I was about, oh, 11 or 12, I became enmeshed in a perfect storm of superstitions, beliefs and religious terror.
I was too young obviously to read it, but I somehow got my hands on "The Exorcist" and read it. I wasn't at all convinced at the end of the book that the little girl was safe. Right after reading it, I was in church one Sunday and the sermon was being given by this horrible old alcoholic fire and brimstone priest who told the congregation how the devil could enter us at any time, and thinking about it increased the chances. While sitting there, I suddenly felt horrible, and was convinced I was being possessed. No, I was coming down with the flu. For the next few weeks, I battled Satan, knowing he was just toying with me.
No idea how, but somehow I got hold of the information that this medallion of Mary, if worn, would prevent a person from going to hell if they died, and if they said the prayer on it every day. I'm sure I said the prayer a hundred times a day. I remember looping black twine through it and wearing the stupid thing every day for months. Heh, I should investigate where I came up with that one.

I was an unhappy child before all this, and this really sent me over the edge. The ******* things we teach people, and that we believe.

http://www.philomena.org/images/frontmm.png

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 08:55 pm
Holy crap!

I was in danger of possession the entire time!

It's Mary's Brown Scapular that keeps you from going to hell.

On July 16th 1251 the Blessed Mary made this promise to Saint Simon Stock: “Take this Scapular, it shall be a sign of salvation, a protection in danger and a pledge of peace. Whosoever dies wearing this Scapular shall not suffer eternal fire.”

Wow. Talk about a get out of jail free card. Seems like a much better deal than a rosary.

http://www.tldm.org/tldmstore/BrownScapular.S2.jpg
FBM

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 09:04 pm
@chai2,
A horse kicked me in the scapular once. I had to wear my arm in a sling for two weeks. Wink
chai2

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 09:25 pm
@FBM,
When I was 16, I got my first job at a pizza joint on the boardwalk. One day the owner was talking to someone about a mutual friend who was in the hospital. It took me a long time (like months) to figure out that the woman must have said "Oh Jane's in the hospital, she had terrible angina."

I didn't know that word at the time, and thought she said "she had a purple vagina."

I remember saying to them "OH NO! That sound awful!" The owner said, "Yeah, the pain was so bad she couldn't even talk."

Then they started looking at me weird when I was just so crazy upset. "SHE COULDN'T EVEN TALK? NO!!"

God, how bad would pooter pie pain be that you were unable to speak?
I think pretty bad.

That would give me night terrors.
FBM

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 09:32 pm
@chai2,
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/hehe.gif

"pooter pie"
0 Replies