Uncertain Finger Infection

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 07:35 am
I've recently seen the ring finger (4th finger) of my left hand become swollen at the finger pad and around the very sides near the fingernail (this was around four days ago). The day after, it became larger and thus became painful, hard and uncomfortable. It's difficult to curl it inwards, it hurts whenever I apply pressure on the swollen parts or try to stretch or curl it, it's strangely warm to the touch. I feel as if it about to burst on me. I've googled and researched and came up with information on Felon; something I hope I am not diagnosed with, as I'm not in the position to do surgery (since that's the only way for Felon to be treated). I am unsure what type of infection it is; warm, hard, swollen, uncomfortable, painful and also.. I have no idea how it came up? I didn't jam my finger between any doors, no biting, no bending- absolutely nothing. I don't plan on being that kid in Year 7 who has a dead finger. (Apologies for not being of age, but I was in a panicking state and needed to know what's happening with me) Any ideas on what it is? Or how to treat it, unless it requires surgery? Thanks.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 07:39 am
@kdijkdndd,
Go see the doctor.

It could be something as simple as a slightly infected hangnail. This happened to me about 2 weeks ago. It's fine now.

Have you soaked your finger in Epsom salts yet? it often brings down slight infections.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 08:56 am
@kdijkdndd,
Sounds like a felon to me. When my father-in-law died, I went in and cleaned house for my mother-in-law. When I got to the tub, I did a lot of scrubbing. I scrubbed so long and so hard that it eventually caused the nail of my middle finger to pull away from the skin. It became infected because I didn't wear rubber gloves, and underneath the bathtub mat was something akin to slime. I waited, hoping it would go away. It didn't. It got so bad that I couldn't reach into my pocket. In fact, just blowing on it caused some pain.

I went to the doctor, and she told me that because I waited too long, it was too swollen with infection to allow any injectable numbing agent to make it to where it needed to go so that she could poke it and drain it. So, she got a pointy scalpel and stabbed it to the bone. Then she squeezed it to drain it.

I trust I don't need to tell you how much that hurt. I could describe the pain for you in words, but so much would be lost in translation that there's really no point. So, my advice to you is to run--don't walk--to your doctor's office.
neologist

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 01:28 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Sounds like a felon to me. . .
Appropriately named. Criminally painful.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 01:09 pm
@kdijkdndd,
Go see a doctor, maybe that with ObamaCare it is now easier (I have no idea about your situation, but if you feel this is serious enough to post about it here, then you should definitely get a medical opinion.)
0 Replies