Does being a Platonist mean the one who supports Plato's ideas?

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 09:38 am
Such as the idea:
Plato wrote: "Mentally and physically ill persons should be left to death; they do not have the right to live. "

http://www.life.org.nz/euthanasia/abouteuthanasia/history-euthanasia1/

Context:

George Ellis has worked for many decades on anisotropic cosmologies (Bianchi models) and inhomogeneous universes, and on the philosophy of cosmology.[3] He is currently writing on the emergence of complexity, and the way this is enabled by top down causation in the hierarchy of complexity.[4]

In terms of philosophy of science, Ellis is a Platonist.[5]

More:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_F._R._Ellis
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 380 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 09:42 am
Platonism, rendered as a proper noun, (i.e. with a capital P wherever it appears in a sentence) is the philosophy of Plato or the name of other philosophical systems considered closely derived from it. In narrower usage, platonism, rendered as a common noun (with a lower case 'p', subject to sentence case), refers to the philosophy that affirms the existence of abstract objects, which are asserted to "exist" in a "third realm" distinct both from the sensible external world and from the internal world of consciousness, and is the opposite of nominalism (with a lower case "n"). Lower case "platonists" need not accept any of the doctrines of Plato.

I don't think Ellis supports putting the sick to death.

oristarA

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 09:58 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Excellent.
0 Replies