Man guarding survival store accidentally shoots self

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 05:29 am
Source: Muskogee Phoenix

Sheriff frets that armed volunteers lack safety skills

Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 2:45 am

By Harrison Grimwood Phoenix Staff Writer

Muskogee County Sheriff Charles Pearson expressed concern about armed men standing guard at a “Muslim-free” survival store in Oktaha after one of the men accidentally shot himself.

Terrence Veninga, 57, of Checotah dropped his old Colt .45-caliber revolver and shot himself at Save Yourself Survival and Tactical Gear.

“This is a very dangerous situation,” Pearson said. “I’m very concerned about the weapons they have and their safety skills with them.”

Veninga’s gun fell from its bucket holster and discharged. The bullet hit him in the wrist, Pearson said. Veninga was guarding the store because of alleged threats against it, Pearson said.

Read more: http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/news/man-guarding-survival-store-accidentally-shoots-self/article_f4d15015-9b70-5428-9a7d-577c04a1b3bd.html

Terrence Veninga

Man accidentally shoots himself while guarding ‘Muslim-free’ gun shop

by Daniel Rivero

Update 7:15pm: Twenty minutes after we posted this story, News on 6 reported that one of the men who is “standing guard” in front of the “Muslim Free Establishment” accidentally shot himself. We wish we were kidding about that, but we’re not. The shooting reportedly happened this morning.

“I saw several of those gentlemen out there yesterday,” Muskogee County Sheriff Charles Pearson told local media. “The way they were holding their weapons, with the fingers on the triggers, you can tell a couple of these gentlemen have no idea about weapons safety.”

“I didn’t want any terrorists, or Muslims, cult, whatever you want to call them, training on my gun range,” gun range manager Chad Neal explained to the Religious News Service last week about his decision to post a sign declaring his store and gun range a “Muslim Free Establishment.”

Since posting the sign, Neal told local news stations, his business and family have received threats from across the world, from places as disparate as Germany and New Zealand. That’s what prompted a group of private armed citizens to stand guard in front of his store, keeping watch for potential attackers.

More:
http://fusion.net/story/184775/armed-guards-protect-gun-range-after-it-declares-itself-muslim-free/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 754 • Replies: 5
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 05:39 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
Since posting the sign, Neal told local news stations, his business and family have received threats from across the world, from places as disparate as Germany and New Zealand.

Wow, that's scary.

http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2014-03/enhanced/webdr03/24/20/enhanced-22549-1395707888-21.jpg
HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 06:58 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Maybe this is the solution to guns? Just let them all open carry and wait til they shoot themselves? Smile
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 07:03 am
@izzythepush,
Did you see this:

Now he's suing the gun shop!!!

izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 07:11 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Yes I did. I may have started a thread on it, I definitely did post about it.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 07:35 am
@izzythepush,
There's no such thing as gun safety, only damage control.
0 Replies