Failed to get the nuance of "through"

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 09:53 pm

" range from services through to geographical regions"?
Looks like that "through to" is a phrasal word, which I failed to find it out in dictionaries such as Oxford online.

Could we remove "through" without affecting the meaning of the clause?

Context:

Harm reduction (or harm minimization) is a range of public health policies designed to reduce the harmful consequences associated with various human behaviors, both legal and illegal. Harm reduction policies are used to manage behaviors such as recreational drug use and sexual activity in numerous settings that range from services through to geographical regions. Critics of harm reduction typically believe that tolerating risky or illegal behaviour sends a message to the community that such behaviours are acceptable and that some of the actions proposed by proponents of harm reduction do not reduce harm over the long term.[1][2]

More:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harm_reduction

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 10:34 pm
@oristarA,
It's a miswritten sentence.
oristarA

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 10:45 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

It's a miswritten sentence.

Well, what does the sentence look like when properly written?
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 10:50 pm
@oristarA,
By the way it's written, it's difficult to understand what the writer is trying to say.

I don't know what to make of: "settings that range from services (services are settings?) through to geographical regions."
oristarA

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 10:56 pm
@InfraBlue,
Well, I no longer feel guilty for failing to understand it if a native English speaker feels hard to understand it as well.
dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 11:09 pm
@oristarA,
It's indicating a wide range of settings and giving two examples that are very dissimilar, so that one is aware that many sorts of setting are included in the range that harm minimisation ideas are useful in . It's not a wrongly worded sentence, the use of through in this context is very common.

If you imagine going on a journey through many different sorts of countryside it may help you to get the sense.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 11:16 pm
"...in numerous settings that range from services through to geographical regions."

I agree with Infra. There's something wrong here. Somebody didn't proofread thoroughly.
0 Replies

dlowan
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2015 11:17 pm
@InfraBlue,
Services, eg hospitals, are indeed places where harm minimisation policies may be in place. Eg no running, fire doors, mirrors in junctions in corridors, cross infection policies.

Geographical regions might have harm minimisation policies mandating signs warning of possible rockfalls, unstable cliffs, long distances between petrol stations, dangerous points in roads etc. For instance, roads leading to Australia's outback may warn of the need to carry water, a satellite phone, to let people know your ETA so that you will be searched for quickly.

Such harm minimisation policies I have been subject to when working in remote areas have included calling into a regional office at regular intervals, forbidding driving at night except in emergencies, forbidding use of a four wheel drive vehicle until one has done a course on driving one, changing its tyres, always letting others know where you are going and what time you expect to be back, always carrying a sat phone, always having spare petrol; and water.

Begin to get the picture?
FBM

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 01:15 am
@dlowan,
Ah! "services" means hospitals? I should have picked up on the fact that this is British English, seeing this spelling: "behaviours." It seem awkward in American English to uses "services" like that. Good work.
dlowan

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 01:37 am
@FBM,
Services would include multiple meanings. Police, ambulance, schools, medical practices, restaurants, computer sales!!!! Services just mean some sort of organisation that provides a service to someone.

For example, your local hairdresser should have harm minimisation practices, like sterilising implements between clients, codes re handling of chemicals etc.

Australians use services in that way as well. As in I work in a Health Service.

Doesn't US English do the same? I am sure i have seen you guys talk about what services might be available to, for instance, someone worried about an abused child.

Did you think it was a verb?

FBM

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 01:45 am
@dlowan,
No, not as a verb. I'm just 99% sure we would have qualified it with an adjective or three. Government services, social services, health services, etc. It just looks and feels awkward sitting there all alone with no adjective to cover it. Wink
dalehileman

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 09:31 am
@oristarA,
I guess Ori that "through" makes it more inclusive
....whatever that means
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 09:58 am
@dlowan,
What FBM said.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2015 10:04 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

No, not as a verb. I'm just 99% sure we would have qualified it with an adjective or three. Government services, social services, health services, etc. It just looks and feels awkward sitting there all alone with no adjective to cover it. Wink

I misunderstood it as a noun naming things, not places or settings.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 06:22 am
that range from A to Z

that range from A through Z

that range from (services) A through to (services) from Z.

oristarA

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2015 07:55 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

that range from A to Z

that range from A through Z

that range from (services) A through to (services) from Z.

"from Z"? Hard to understand what you're saying, PUNKEY.
0 Replies