best wishes

WBYeats

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2015 11:20 am
1. If I am writing to a teacher, can I use 'best wishes'?; I know his name.

2. Is it correct to use simply 'best', without 'wishes', at the end of a letter?

eg
Best,
WB Yeats
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 709 • Replies: 13
No top replies

McTag

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2015 02:12 pm
@WBYeats,

1. yes

2. no.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 12:10 pm
Good answer. I especially like a definite no. I hope you can use it more often in the future~

-----
If I start by using 'Dear French majors' (=those whose major is the French language, not 'those undergraduates who are French people'), can I end the letter by 'yours sincerely'? Formerly my teacher told me when you don't know the name of the recipient or when you don't write the name of the recipient, 'yours sincerely' is definitely wrong, but do you think the trend has changed and that now it is correct to use 'yours sincerely even when you don't write out the name of the recipient?
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 02:55 pm
The traditional British rule was

Dear Mr Smith ... Yours sincerely

Dear Sir ... Yours faithfully

but many people ignore it. Most people under about 50 would just go "Duh... what?" if you asked them about this.

When I worked in a legal practice we hired a teenage girl and we got complaints that she was writing "Hi Judge" at the top of emails (and letters!)

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 06:19 pm
@WBYeats,
There seems to be some meme among Asians that best wishes is a common complimentary close in English business practice. Speaking for American business practice, i have never seen it used. The rule i long followed (i was a business manager for many, many years, which often involved being my own secretary) "Sincerely your" when addressing someone known to the author, "Yours truly" (or a variation thereof) when the addressee was not known to the author, and "Cordially" when one did not feel at all cordial, and want to close the letter as coldly as possible. These things i learned in the 1960s, which was a long time ago, but change in the formalities in business practice takes place at a glacial pace.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 11:43 am
Good anwers. Thank you. But what does 'at a glacial pace' mean?

1. Hardly change
2. change frequently
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 11:59 am
Glaciers move very slowly.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 03:25 am
@WBYeats,
Yes, you can write Best wishes in the end of your letter.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 11:21 am
Thank you Tes.

What is selectmytutor's first language?
Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 03:05 am
@WBYeats,
Who knows--it sure as hell is not English. We have had a problem (not a big one) over the last few years with gifted speakers of English as a foreign language (and some who just think they are gifted) who believe they have the right to advise others on English usage. Some even think they are entitled to argue with university educated native speakers of English. I don't know what can be done about other than to warn other members that someone is not a native speaker of English.
lmur

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 03:25 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
'Hi Judge!' Love it.
Any smiley faces? Let's hang?
JudyWeaver

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 06:08 am
Hey... You can write "best wishes" at the end of the letter. Actually, I am looking for a jacket at reasonable prices and one of my friend suggest me to buy from online shop. Is it good Idea?
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 10:51 am
@Setanta,
Thank you.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 08:14 am
@lmur,
lmur wrote:

'Hi Judge!' Love it.

How about this?