Gee. Homeless man plays piano..

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 06:05 pm
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/01/homeless-man-sarasota-keys-piano-project_n_7707814.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 3,127 • Replies: 5
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 08:40 pm
I saw this earlier. I always wanted to play, but never could. Maybe if I had taken lessons. I read that six year old Stephen foster walked up to the first piano he ever saw and began playing it. I don't know if it was Chopin, Chopstcks or an early version of Oh Susanna, he played or how good he was. Hell, I don't have any proof it's a true story.
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 09:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
this sorta reminded me of the scene from Deliverance.

Now if he woulda played Rhapsody in Blue,
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 10:49 am
@edgarblythe,
Not being able to read music, I got immediate results from 'letternotes.com'. I borrowed a keyboard, marked the keys with letters with a wipeable marker, and can now play Bach Prelude in C after 2 months, 1 hour per day.

Very satisfying and highly recommended.
0 Replies

Professor Gumbus

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2015 11:29 pm
@ossobuco,
It's a bit troubling that people find the guy more lovable because he can do tricks, so to speak. I mean, why does a musician deserve sympathy for being homeless more than someone else? Does it just seem surprising to folks that a homeless person could be talented? And is that because they assume that homeless people are homeless because they're bums generally?

I don't know. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. People get surprised by musical talent. Maybe they're just awed at it, and that's ok.

I'll say this though..in the comments there I notice someone(s) thought if he can play music, then he can work as a musician. mm. Truth about the economy is work is hard to find. Real hard. Doesn't matter if you have skills.

I made a friend in Finland who didn't understand that we have homeless people,
because she says Finland doesn't allow that to happen to people there.

I wish the US was more like Finland.

roger

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 12:58 am
@Professor Gumbus,
Yes, work is really hard to find, especially if the application happens to ask for an address and phone number, and they all do, of course. Still, you may be overthinking all this.
0 Replies