lack of hand independence/coordination at piano. plz help :(

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 11:57 am
Hello,
I have a major problem with hand independence, in the 7th of July I'm supposed to perform two pieces that need very good hand independence, the problem is that I don't have that, my teachers told me and I also read this on the internet that I shall practise with scales. And I did, I can play the scales very fluently however I still can't play the pieces.(primavera & nuvole bianche both by Lodovico einaudi) anyway I practised scales for nearly two months but besides I can play them fluently I can't play the pieces, I'm absolutely vulnerable , I would really appreciate your advice, suggested exercises and tips.
Thank you for your time,

Sofia.

Ragman

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 01:13 pm
@sofia556,
When you understand that you are asking brain/body to grow new brain cells and pathways perhaps you can be more understanding/forgiving and patient with the process. Sometimes these things take a lot more practice and time for those new neural pathways to be made. Sometimes it just doesn't happen.

Practice with doing scales is a predictable exercise; however, performing a piece with all those less than predictable changes is quite hard.

For example, here's a classic 2-hand independence exercise: using your left hand, rub your stomach and with your right, pat your head simultaneously. Now switch hands.

This activity/exercise can't be done successfully by 95-98% of us. With practice, you can better at it...but most of us can't master that exercise. This piano-playing you are attempting is analogous to that.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 02:36 pm
@sofia556,
You might try some of the suggestions here:

http://music.stackexchange.com/questions/3215/how-can-i-significantly-improve-my-hand-independence-on-piano

and here

http://takelessons.com/blog/piano-hand-coordination-exercises
sofia556

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 01:24 am
@Ragman,
Tha k you very much your advice have been very helpful Smile
0 Replies

sofia556

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 01:25 am
@Butrflynet,
Thank you very much I appreciate it ^.^
0 Replies