Pianists and heroin-like performance art.

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 09:53 pm
I am learning piano (I am advancing but I am far from good). I have been working on Chopin Etude 10 number 3. After working very hard to be able to play a reasonable facsimile of the piece, I googled to see how it sounds when great pianists play the same piece.

So I found a video of this woman named Valentina Lisitsa playing that exact piece. Sure it sounded much better than my version... but what the Hell! She has this drugged out look, spaced out eyes, head moving listlessly back and forth. I had to laugh. It sure looks like she is high.

So I googled for another video, an Asian man playing the same piece. And sure enough... head lolling, eyes staring blankly.

I am sure this is taught. These people are professionals doing a job. They have doubtlessly played this piece incessantly and could play it backwards in their sleep. This spaced look is affected... it is part of the performance, I think it is supposed to convey that they are completely in touch with the music that they have practiced to perfection and are playing from rote.

Does anyone else find this silly? I will never be a great pianist, I can't imagine ever even trying to pull this drugged out look off.

Can any professional musicians explain whether this is specifically taught or just emulated?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 977 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 11:57 pm
These folks are immersed in their music 🎶. Many people in the music performance field can be found with similar motions and facial expressions. Serenity.

Lisitsa has been playing and performing since about 4 years of age. Now somewhere in her 40s, she has become one with the music.

To help you understand, listen to this tune from Kiki Dee where she sings, I Got The Music In Me,

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2020 05:53 am
@Sturgis,
I used to play a lot of keyboard when I was a kid and Is always make my eyebrows go in ll different directions.I was often told how dum this looked and I never really noticed it till my mom made a movie of me playing the Theme song from "Good the Bad and the Ugly" and she played it when the family was over for a party. I was a kid , I was mortified , you just will develop your own tics---you just watch.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2020 03:45 pm
I don't buy it. It is a performance. It is contrived. They played this music backwards and forwards, and even this stage reverie is carefully rehearsed. There is nothing wrong with performance, but this blank head waving one just seems especially silly to me.

Quote:
How Much Did You Pay For The Chunk Of His Guitar,
The One He Ruthlessly Smashed At The End Of The Show?
And How Much Will He Pay For A Brand New Guitar,
One Which He'll Ruthlessly Smash At The End Of Another Show?
And How Long Will The Workers Keep Building Him New Ones?
As Long As Their Soda Cans Are Red, White, And Blue Ones.

Yeah, Excess Ain't Rebellion.
You're Drinking What They're Selling.
Excess Ain't Rebellion.

0 Replies