What's an interesting historical topic to do an Investigastion on?

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 06:41 am
my elective history class next term, each one of us get to do an independent investigation on any topic (historical). I don't know which one to do. I really like modern history, but wouldn't mind ancient and I'd love to do a mystery or something a little creepy i.e Jack the Ripper or the Bermuda Triangle. It has to be a terms worth of work (10 weeks) and then at the end of the term give a 15 minute talk on it. P. S I'm in year 10 (16) so anything you can think of and sort for the lengthy question Smile

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 07:15 am
@Xotandixo,
It might be easier if you focus on your personal interests rather than ask strangers for a really random topic. AT least if you have a modicum of interest in your subject, the paper will be easier to write and the end product will be a tad more satisfying.

Can you whittle the period down to a few decades? What country do you live in? If you write a paper on a regional bit of history than finding the appropriate primary sources for the history paper will be that much easier.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 07:43 am
Babylonian Chiropody.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 09:49 am
@Xotandixo,
How about the topic of Stonehenge in Britain?

http://www.historvius.com/images/original/Stonehenge--598.jpg
farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 04:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
Use LIDAR techniques to identify and locate the medieval outlines and innards of some city in your country. If youre in the UK, many cities have preserved ruins outlines an walls that are rubblized and these are buried beneth existing roads. Using LIDAR (you hve to larn the techniques of "Slope shaed" or "Hill shade" outlines and from these you can traace the boundaries as they changed through history.

In the US, th cities (like Philadelphia or Boton) go back severl centuries to th precolonial times and many minor soil disruptions that point to old structures (which can be researched as to their place names), and these can be mapped on top of existing city streets.
Much work in archeology and hitorical bounary id will be dependent on LIDAR mapping.

Look it up.
USE OF LIDAR IN ARCHAEOLOGY
LIDAR TECHNIQUES IN IDNTIFYING COLONIL ND PRECOLONIAL SETTLEMENTS IN THE PIEDMONT OF (Va, Md, Pa, NJ, NY, Conn)
It a skill that can lea to a career
0 Replies