structures not existent in English

WBYeats

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 08:45 am
Based on your knowledge of foreign languages, apart from 'how many -eth president is Barack Obama', do you know any meaning or sentence structure that is existent in French, German, Italian, Spanish, etc. but not in English?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 645 • Replies: 18
No top replies

McTag

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 10:11 am
@WBYeats,

I think this question is so wide and vague as to be meaningless. But it begs another: why do you want to know?
dalehileman

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 10:57 am
@McTag,
Mac, forgive, but I disagree. Without spending all morning at Google I can suppose there are scores if not hundreds of such diffs

https://www.google.com/search?q=sentence+structure+existent+in+other.+but+not+English&ei=FutpVY3KBoigyAS72oGwBw#

As to why; why not
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 11:37 am
Agree with McTag.
I would also say, that when you do not know a language the knowledge of
the structure in that language is unimportant.
Without a vucabulary you cannot make a sentence and no structure,
dalehileman

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 11:40 am
@saab,
Alas Saab, I see nothing whatever wrong with WB's q
Obviously he's interested in structure, whatever his "knowledge"

WB, wish I could help
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 12:20 pm
Most languages have structure differences. Such a question is indeed meaningless. A curious student should read about the sentence structures of different languages and note differences and similarities.

dalehileman

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 02:20 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
Most languages have structure differences.
Yes Tes, I guess

Quote:
Such a question is indeed meaningless.
But why

Quote:
A curious student should read about the sentence structures of different languages and note differences and similarities.
Yep, and in doing so I'll betcha find one or two--maybe 125--instances of what WB's looking for

Maybe I just don't understand what WB is asking. Makes perfect sense to me

Maybe it's my advanced age
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 02:29 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Quote:

Such a question is indeed meaningless.

But why

Well, not exactly meaningless but rather, pointless. There are so many differences in sentence structure between the main European languages (and between each of them and English) that it would take a very long post indeed to comprehensively cover them all. In fact, it could be said that some languages don't have "sentences" at all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 05:43 pm
@WBYeats,
Verb forms are much more organized in French than in English. English-speakers tend to use only a few verb tenses, whereas French requires the use of certain verb tenses in certain contexts. The subjunctive is a good example of this. In modern English, the subjunctive is almost unknown. English speakers use the few common examples of the subjunctive without even knowing they are using that verb tense.

That being said, i agree with McT that this is a question so vague as to be almost meaningless, and with Tes yeux noirs that comparisons of this type are also almost meaningless.

McT has a good grip on English--he speaks it almost like a native!
McTag

Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 01:39 am
@Setanta,

I spik English real good coz I is Scotch.
WBYeats

Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 06:21 am
Thank you.
McTag

Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 02:35 pm
@WBYeats,

So why did you want to know? And do you know now?
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 07:32 pm
Pretty much all of Korean sentence structure does not exist in English, which is why it's listed as one of the hardest languages for English native speakers to learn.

First of all, the sentence structure is Subject-Object-Verb, whereas English is Subject-Verb-Object.

Then there's a complex system of honorifics. To close friends and significantly younger people, you end your utterance with ~아 or ~야 ('ah' or 'yah'). The next level up in politeness requires you to end with ~요 (yo). Very formal situations require 입니다/습니다, etc. There is even a special set of honorifics used only when you're addressing the royal family, but Korea hasn't had one in a very long time, so it's just in the books.
Ionus

Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 09:17 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
I spik English real good coz I is Scotch.
Shocked OMG! You poor poor man ! They can do wonders with surgery now, you know . Does it hurt ? We should start a foundation.... Very Happy Wink

(There will always be an England so long as there is a Scotland to fight its bloody wars for it)
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 09:19 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
the royal family, but Korea hasn't had one in a very long time
Do they want one ? I'm in between jobs ! I promise not to behave like the British Royal Family....
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 09:44 pm
Well, English doesn't have a genitive case.
Ionus

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 03:27 am
@InfraBlue,
We had the remains of one but the feminist lobby killed it . Ships were a she, for example .
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 07:45 am
@FBM,
Thank you.~
FBM

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 08:43 am
@WBYeats,
Yup.
0 Replies