Persons and people

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 09:59 pm
What is the difference between persons and peole?I think they are both plural forms of person

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 12:08 am
@wisdomwang,
I think that a peole is a urinal in Rome.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 12:16 am
@Lordyaswas,
Isn't peole one of those magic mushrooms we used to indulge in as children of the 60's and 70's?
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 12:20 am
@wisdomwang,
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/people-or-persons

Quote:
Nowadays, "people" is almost always the right choice when you are talking about more than one person.

Some dictionaries don't even include "persons" as the plural of "person" anymore, and the few dictionaries that do include "persons" note that it is uncommon, archaic, or going out of style.

Traditionally, "people" was proper when referring to a mass of people (e.g., Squiggly couldn't believe how many people were at the wrestling match), and "persons" was proper when referring to a distinct number of individuals (e.g., Squiggly noted that eight persons showed up for the book club meeting).

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/people-versus-persons/

Quote:
There is some confusion regarding the two terms, especially because their meaning and usage suffered a mutation along the centuries. Both derive from Latin, but from different words.

Person derives from persona, which refers to an individual. People, on the other hand, derives from populum, and it refers to a group of persons sharing a culture or social environment.

Person is a singular form, and its plural is persons. Over the time, however, many writers started to adopt people as the plural form of person, and nowadays it is widely accepted. Notice that legal and very formal texts still use persons as the plural form.

One distinction that was proposed was to use persons as long as there was a countable number of individuals (e.g., 67 persons left the school) and people when such a number was large and indefinite (e.g., the people left the stadium quickly). The rule did not catch on, though, and some writers still use people even when there is a definite or small number of individuals.

Finally, people can also be used in the plural form (e.g., the peoples of Asia) when it refers to the different cultural groups that live in a certain region.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 12:22 am
@Butrflynet,
Good answer, man.

Mushrooms....yeah man.
I climbed on the back of a giant albatross, which flew through a crack in the clouds to a place where happiness reigned, and music played ever so loudly.
Ragman

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 05:55 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordy,

Apropos of nothing much...I've always meant to tell you...you're humor and outlook are very much appreciated.
Just as an aside, you should be thanking your lucky stars I'm not a world traveler. When and if I ever get the money to travel and find myself in UK, I'd like to hoist a point or two with you. You're a tad bit more warped than I am..and that's saying a lot.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 01:04 pm
@wisdomwang,
wisdomwang wrote:

What is the difference between persons and peole?

Dr. Seuss.

https://jesscy.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/dont-give-up-i-believe-in-you-all-a-persons-a-person-no-matter-how-small-dr-seuss.jpg
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 01:51 pm
@Ragman,
If and when you make it over to the UK, please give me a bit of notice as I will have to go and have a word with various Landlords so that they can temporarily un-ban me whilst you are here.
Saying that, The Queens Legs in Camden Town lets anyone in as long as they have cash.
You will have cash, won't you? The last American who took me for a drink in London buggered off when the air raid warning started, and it took me a fortnight to work off his Hotel bill, and a month after that before I could walk properly again.
Ragman

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 02:21 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Ahaha!

Well, I'm starting my swimming endurance exercises now. I can make it across my bathtub now without getting winded. Soon I'll start with the Atlantic from so. FLA
0 Replies

wisdomwang

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 12:15 am
@Butrflynet,
Quite objective as well as useful! Thanks!
roger

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2015 12:24 am
@wisdomwang,
Sometimes we do come up with a useful answer. Not every day, of course.
0 Replies

KaziMasum

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 10:15 pm
Yes, this objective is really very helpful for us. Thank you for sharing.
0 Replies