Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 08:59 am
We liked the hotel _______ we stayed on the last evening.
a. which b. where
One of my students asked me what the correct answer was. I got really confused for two reasons. First, the expression "on the last evening" sounded awkward to my ear. Second, the preposition "on" seemed to be a mistake. As far as I know, we do not normally use "on" with "evening". In addition, if we arguably assume that it belongs to the verb stay, then that is a mistake, too, because the verb "stay" is followed by "in/at", not "on" when it is followed by a prepositional phrase.
My answer was that the sentence was wrong, and the correct sentence should be:
a. We liked the hotel (which) we stayed at/in last night.
or b. We liked the hotel (where) we stayed last night.
Do you think I was right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,454 • Replies: 10
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Angrybirds
ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 10:13 am
@Angrybirds,
b. sounds right to me
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 10:19 am
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/sep/12/last-night-proms-glasgow-britannia-union

Quote:
Britannia won't be ruling the waves on the Last Night of the Proms in Glasgow

Fireworks on the last night of festival

http://russellsofbroadway.co.uk/about/reviews-and-press/

Quote:
chose to dine here on the last night of our four-day break.

http://www.freeplay.net.au/dates-awards-announced-for-freeplay-2015/

Quote:
The winners will be announced on the last night of our program,
0 Replies

Hatshepsut
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 03:13 pm
@Angrybirds,
"On the last evening" might have a specific meaning, such as on the last evening of your vacation. In front of "we stayed," you could use the the adverb "where," or the combination "in which." If you use only "which," then the grammar itself is still okay, but the meaning will shift. Think of your sentence as broken up into its clauses and phrases like this:

We liked the hotel (main clause)
where we stayed (adverb clause)
on the last evening (prepositional phrase used adverbially)

Now let's try "which." The words "which we stayed" create an indirect relative clause. It's called "indirect" because the clause's subject, "we," refers to something different than the noun that the relative clause describes: "hotel."

which we stayed (indirect relative clause)

The only thing I see bugging you is the semantics: we rarely "stay a hotel." We do buy hotels, and "We liked the hotel which we bought on the last evening" is a sensible thing to say. Now the next little mystery: English allows nouns of time to be used as adverbs. This is where we have "the last evening" (without that preposition "on"), or if you prefer, "last night." These noun phrases of time can be used like any other adverb. This gives

last night (noun phrase of time used as adverb)

We're almost done. We don't stay hotels, but we do stay IN hotels. Since the relative clause refers to the hotel, we put this preposition, "in," right in front of the clause: "We liked the hotel in which we stayed last night." Sometimes English will put the preposition at the end of the relative clause instead of before it. That gives "We liked the hotel which we stayed in last night."

That awkwardness in you ear came from "We liked the hotel which we stayed on the last evening," which has ambiguous structure:

or

which we stayed on (indirect relative clause and its governing preposition)
the last evening (noun of time used as adverb)

The problem then is that we don't usually stay ON hotels, like on the roof or something. On the other hand, we know we don't just STAY them, either. So it sounded funny. The verb "stay" can be used with "on," however, when we have a different noun. We might stay on the corner until the light turns green, for instance. Easy!
Hatshepsut

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 03:33 pm
@Angrybirds,
I realized if you're teaching kids, I wasn't helpful. The dang thing's really pretty subtle. I don't know if the kids have gotten to parts of speech and relative clauses (sentences subordinated to be used like adjectives, using a relative pronoun like "who"). Maybe just putting the results of the various choices up and comparing them for "how good they sound" is enough.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 03:54 pm
@Angrybirds,

Quote:
Do you think I was right?

No.

"We liked the hotel where we stayed on the last evening" is fine.

No need to overcomplicate or over-analyse it.
0 Replies

Angrybirds

Reply Mon 18 May, 2015 01:05 am
@Hatshepsut,
Thanks. That was helpful.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 12:03 pm
@Hatshepsut,
Golly Hats, I for one am impressed. Without revealing anything critical to identity, can you tell us something about yourself and how you came to a2k
Glennn

Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 08:10 pm
We liked the hotel where we spent the last evening.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2015 11:07 am
@dalehileman,
No, yes, Hats, I'm serious. For instance how long did it take to compose your excellent response
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 05:56 am
@Angrybirds,
Hi Angrybirds,
"b" is the right answer
We liked the hotel _where_ we stayed on the last evening.
0 Replies