izzythepush

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 02:17 am
@ossobuco,
When the satirist takes his eye off the rich and powerful and instead attacks the poor and vulnerable it is no longer satire.

If anything goes is this acceptable?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lE6a6YWH24Y/T-sTG1ctSNI/AAAAAAAABCg/dOiSFz-dBME/s1600/satan-mask.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 03:38 am
@izzythepush,
Not to me, but I'm picky
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 03:55 am
To explain, I am free speehy. I get the quandary.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 04:40 am
@izzythepush,
It looks like the representation of a really mad Jew eating Stalin. I approve.
engineer

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 04:55 am
@Lash,
Stalin is a mask. It is saying Stalin is really controlled by the evil Jews.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 04:57 am
@engineer,
You're right, I really didn't think it needed pointing out, but there you go.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 10:00 am
Bernie Sanders: Laughing All The Way Through The Media Black Out

Bernie Sanders: Laughing All The Way Through The Media Black Out

Philip David Morton, Screenwriter, Journalist, Producer

"We don't take money from billionaires, we don't take money from corporations," Sanders said early in his speech. "and we have raised the largest amount of any candidate from single donations." The crowd cheered in response. In fact the crowd cheered many times for more than an hour as he hit all the points he's been speaking out for his entire career.

Maybe it's because he talks about the elephant in the room. And not just one elephant. He talks about herds of elephants. He comes out of the gate talking about how the GOP cares more about the oil companies than the world they are going to leave for their children and grand children, how war should be the last thing we aim for in global affairs, how he's sponsoring legislation for tuition free higher education for college students, how he backs big bank break ups, how he has a plan to tax wall street. Yes, you read that right. The list goes on and you don't know if you should laugh or cry. You want to laugh because someone is finally making sense. You want to cry because you've become so inured to the possibility of real change in a broken system bought by the capitalist elite that you've forgotten the word 'change' could even be a box on your checklist.

And you know what's stunning? Outside only two local news trucks. That's it. You would think a populist phenomenon like this would garner some media attention. "Well, when 3 giant corporations own the majority of the mainstream and easily accessible media, and the candidate they aren't covering is calling out that type of corporate corruption...connect the dots," offers Adam.

Whatever the reason, it seems you're not going to hear about it on the nightly news. So keep reading blogs like this one, there's a real populist movement in this country and it's happening under the media's radar whether they like it or not.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/philip-morton/bernie-sanders-laughing-a_b_7969754.html
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 10:10 am
@maxdancona,
max, I disagree. Whatever Izzy hands out, he is returning a back hand. And if he puts a little extra "English" on the return volley, I have not a problem with it.

It disgusts me how all civility conscious people like Hawkeye, baldino, billrm all get when it gets directed back at them.

I think I get a lot nastier than Izzy's ever gotten. I refuse to let anyone kick my dog and get away with it.

Claiming racist(sexist etc) cant as free speech just doesn't cut it.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 10:13 am
@maxdancona,
To be fair, you did at one time. But you are one of the few who pretty much stopped it. I thumb you up pretty regularly.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 10:18 am
@ossobuco,
I miss slappy, too. I followed him on Abuzz.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 10:28 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

To be fair, you did at one time. But you are one of the few who pretty much stopped it. I thumb you up pretty regularly.

I don't think I did, I would love to see a link to what you are talking about. I do appreciate the compliment either way.

I object to the attempt by Izzy and others to stomp out ideas, not by arguing against the idea... but by making personal attacks on the people. There are many issues that have two valid perspectives. Certain perfectly reasonable perspectives can't be discussed on Able2Know because just daring to express them will draw personal attacks form Izzy and his group.

I will never object to someone arguing against any of my opinions. I will defend my opinions... but a spirited discussion with people who disagree with me is a good thing. It is the personal attacks and name-calling are not helpful.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 10:34 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
When the satirist takes his eye off the rich and powerful and instead attacks the poor and vulnerable it is no longer satire.

I disagree with this (although it made me think for a while). The poor and vulnerable can be wrong and they can act irrationally. The majority of the members of some of the Tea Party groups are poor and vulnerable... and yet they are the target of satire.

Satire is a humorous way of pointing out inconsistencies and irrationality in someones words or behavior. Anyone can be inconsistent or irrational and if you believe in free speech, anyone can be the target of satire.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 11:18 am
@engineer,
My phone screen is so small. I much prefer my initial impression. Why would anyone enjoy publicizing that picture?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 12:23 pm
@Lash,
Even so you're still approving of Jews with tusks.
Lash

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 02:44 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm "approving" it? You take great liberties not based on anything other than your preference.
Lash

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 02:47 pm
Joe commends Bernie's campaign. Hillary shits.

http://ringoffireradio.com/2015/09/biden-shocks-hillary-crowd-by-stating-bernie-sanders-doing-a-helluva-job/
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 02:53 pm
@Lash,
I figure that last year when it was being decided Biden said that running Hillary unopposed is a bad idea, and that he is getting his "I told you so" licks in.

ON a parallel note Slate has a good piece today on how the R moneymen fucked the party by giving Bush tons of money before they got any kind of looks at his chops, which suck.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2015/09/jeb_bush_s_millions_will_keep_his_struggling_campaign_going_did_republican.html

Merit, proven by competition, is what made America great. The elite have completely lost their way.
Lash

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 02:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
You may be right. I'd love to know how this all shook out.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2015 03:05 pm
@Lash,
We will have to wait for the books, which in this administration come out years early because so many people on the team think that Obama screwed the pooch and they dont want their legacies attached to his.

I said before that Obama does not run the party as would normally be the case because he never did the work and so now he does not get the rewards, but it is highly likely that he was onboard the Hillary as the only choice plan, and that Bidden strenuously objected. I dont want Biden anywhere near the oval office, but he does understand this game of politics. He really pisses me the **** off but he does have a significant list of accomplishments, unlike Hillary, because unlike Hillary he does understand this game.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2015 01:29 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I'm "approving" it? You take great liberties not based on anything other than your preference.

No, based on what you actually said. Don't try putting it down to bad resolution, you were able to make out Stalin without any difficulty.

Lash wrote:

It looks like the representation of a really mad Jew eating Stalin. I approve.