doubt on/about Ng

WBYeats

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 06:05 am
Could you correct my English?

-Since the implementation of the Practical French courses at NYU, students have had doubts on the significance and necessity to learn them.

-I seek to assert that it is desirable to learn to read French as a matter of practicality. On study, it is unavoidable that students may come across theses written by French people.

-Yet, it is sufficient as long as we could understand French without learning to write with it. It ought to be up to fellow students to write in French or German, whichever they deem fit.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,935 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Rathony

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 06:27 am
@WBYeats,
-Since the implementation of the Practical French courses at NYU, students have had doubts on the significance and necessity to learn them.

I don't think there is any problem with on. You can use both on and about before doubts. However, you had better write "have begun to have doubts" i/o "have had".

-I seek to assert that it is desirable to learn to read French as a matter of practicality. On study, it is unavoidable that students may come across theses written by French people.

I suggest using "In studying" which means "when they study French"

-Yet, it is sufficient as long as we could understand French without learning to write with it. It ought to be up to fellow students to write in French or German, whichever they deem fit.

I suggest using "without being able to write it" i/o "learning to write with it.

Hope it helps.
WBYeats

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 10:50 am
@Rathony,
Thank you, but what's your first language? UK or US?
Rathony

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2015 08:29 pm
@WBYeats,
Any reason to ask that?
WBYeats

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 12:33 am
@Rathony,
If your first language is not UK or US English, or even not English, the answer, with all due respect, has no authority. If I want a non-native answer, I might as well ask myself.
Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 01:21 am
@WBYeats,
Your point about American or British English, and whether or not one is a native speaker at all, are well taken. As a native speaker of the American language, i would not use "on" as you have done in your sentences. In the first sentence, in my experience, an American would write "doubts about" I have no idea what you mean in the second sentence, but i would never use a phrase such as "on study." I see no problem with the third sentence.
0 Replies

Rathony

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 01:45 am
@WBYeats,
I noticed why your English sucks that much.

If you have an attitude problem, you best correct it before you learn something.

I have never seen any with such a negative attitude succeed in anything.
Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 02:08 am
@Rathony,
One can't help but note that you have not answered the question of whether or not you claim to be a native speaker of English. Given the post to which i am responding, i doubt that you are.
Rathony

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 02:46 am
@Setanta,
Why don't you reply to the above questions yourself. Let me see.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 03:06 am
I am a native-speaker of English, being a native-born American. I am familiar with most differences in form and usage in Britain, and i am university educated. You no longer need to answer the question as far as i am concerned, because i don't believe you are a native-speaker of English.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 03:08 am
I see this joker is also busy voting down the responses of the author of the thread, as well as my own. How petty is that?
Rathony

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 03:43 am
@Setanta,
I notice that you didn't learn the most important lesson of "mind-your-own-business" attitude. I tried to help her while you were sticking your noses into other people's Q&As without giving your own answer.

Do you really think you deserve to get a vote up? I don't think so.

People should know where to stick their noses into before they graduate from Primary. I learned this long time ago. Don't envy me.

Let me see what a "native-American-university-educated-sticking-their-noses-into-wrong-places" person can post. Hurry up!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 03:49 am
Ah, what a great, braying jackass you are. There are only two other people posting in this thread, and you have launched vicious attacks on both of them. In fact, i did answer the OP, you seem to be a little slow. This thread is open to a response by any registered user--even an abusive idiot like you. I don't give a rat's ass if you vote on posts or how you vote on posts--i've already pointed out how petty you are. You really should stop trashing WBYeats' thread.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 03:51 am
I also note that you have not yet answered the question of whether or not you are a native-speaker of English. But your English really sucks, so as i've already said, for my part, you don't need to answer that question.
Rathony

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 04:22 am
@Setanta,
Wow, no wonder your above answer sounds like a shitty kindergarten kid's answer. You dind't even udnerstand the question No. 2, while I tried to help her.

Is it that you are stupid or dumb? Maybe both. Maybe you were born in America, but not lived there spending your whole life in North Korea or Siberia.

What a pity native you are. You just made me speechless.
Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 04:30 am
@Rathony,
The angrier and more abusive you become, the more your English sucks. Believe me, your English really, really sucks.
Rathony

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 04:39 am
@Setanta,
Believe me. It is better than a shitty loser who can't understand the question No. 2.

Maybe your English is better than a Siberian, I guess.

FYI, I am not angry. I am enjoying this with a barbarian who can't even understnad that simple question.
0 Replies

Rathony

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2015 05:06 am
@Setanta,
You know what, Siberian American?

You google "I have doubt on", you hit 29,400 results while you google "I have doubt about", you hit 54,200. It is more than a half.

On and about are exchangeable except for some special cases. You can use both on and about after information. There is no arguing about it. Why "doubt" should be different?

There can be no possibility at all that you could have spent a single day in your life in America.

Joker.....

izzythepush

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2015 03:06 am
@Rathony,
Rathony wrote:

You google "I have doubt on", you hit 29,400 results while you google "I have doubt about", you hit 54,200. It is more than a half.

Which only proves a lot of people don't know how to use English properly. Google produces a lot of search results written by very stupid people. And googling I have doubt about instead of I have doubts about is only going to add to your confusion.

I'm with Setanta on the first phrase. Doubts about sounds more natural, and is definitely what an English person would say.

As far as On study goes I would change it to While studying. Setanta is right, the meaning is not clear so all I can do is come up with a best guess.

The third phrase write with it is OK, but write in it sounds more natural, in the birthplace of Shakespeare at least.

You are clearly not a native English speaker, that's glaringly obvious to anyone who has English as their first language.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2015 03:39 am
Thank you Izzythebush and Setanta. Excellent answers.