Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 09:05 am
The following sentence has been taken from a post of Azar grammar exchange. This sentence is too hard for me, I can not understand the meaning of this sentence.

" East of Suez, some hold, the direct control of Providence ceases; Man being there handed over to the power of the Gods and Devils of Asia, and the Church of England Providence only exercising an occasional and modified supervision in the case of Englishmen."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,175 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 11:28 am
@Nousher Ahmed,

East of Suez, some folks say, direct control by God and Her Church ends; Man in that area being under power of the Gods and Devils of Asia, the Church of England only doing a once-in-a-while and slightly different kind of control of Englishmen

Any good, Ahmed

Con, help us
McTag

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 11:47 am
@Nousher Ahmed,

I would suggest, if you are a serious student of English, don't waste any more of your time on this "grammar exchange" if this is a typical example of its content.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 11:53 am
The sentence is very awkwardly written or was not well translated.

The main subject verb (IMHO) are:

control / ceases

(A) Man / (was) handed over

and

Church of England Providence / exercising / supervision

" East of Suez, some hold, the direct control of Providence ceases; Man being there handed over to the power of the Gods and Devils of Asia, and the Church of England Providence only exercising an occasional and modified supervision in the case of Englishmen."

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 12:40 pm
The text quoted is the first sentence of a story called "The Mark Of The Beast" by Rudyard Kipling. It is neither "awkward" nor "translated" and is written in good, clear standard literary English. To people over a certain age, the style is instantly recognisable.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 01:23 pm
To me, the meaning of the sentence is immediately obvious.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 01:39 pm
@contrex,
Perhaps you can help the OP with it.
contrex

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 01:40 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

East of Suez, some folks say, direct control by God and Her Church ends; Man in that area being under power of the Gods and Devils of Asia, the Church of England only doing a once-in-a-while and slightly different kind of control of Englishmen

Any good, Ahmed

Con, help us

Dale, that is very good. I cannot really improve upon it, except that I will say that to Kipling and people of his era the Christian God would definitely have been male.
contrex

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 01:48 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Perhaps you can help the OP with it.

hold means "have the opinion that"
Providence is the Christian God.

East of Suez, some people say, the direct control of the white man's God ceases; Man being there handed over to the power of the Gods and Devils of Asia, and the Church of England God only exercising an occasional and modified supervision in the case of Englishmen.

I think Kipling is being facetious, and seems, to me, to be making a comment about the behaviour and morality of Englishmen once they are well out of sight of England.

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 03:58 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Dale, that is very good.
Sincerely flattered

Quote:
... God would definitely have been male
Yea I'm secret;y amused when The True Believer objects to Her sex
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 05:40 pm
"taken from a post of Azar grammar exchange"

Didn't think to google it to see if it was Kipling.
0 Replies

Michael Lalwani

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 04:46 am
@Nousher Ahmed,
Hello,
Completely blown my mind.
0 Replies