I can't give my boyfriend children

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2015 11:39 am

I'm a 36/f I have 2 childfren ages 18/16. At 25 I had my tubes tied. I am now in a relationship with a 31/m who I know wants children of his own. He says he's OK with it not happening but one night he got drunk and was crying to my cousin that he will never be able to have kids with me. When I asked him about it he said he was just drunk. My question is should I end the relationship so he can move on and find someone who can give him children? We don't have the kind of income that would allow for a reversal surgery or adoption.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 941 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2015 12:19 pm
@Bammalynn28,
You might still be able to adopt (although it would likely take longer). Plus your boyfriend can (and I hope already does) have a meaningful relationship with your children. Let's also step back a bit and recognize that your younger child will be 17 years older than any child you conceive today (assuming your tubal ligation surgery was magically reversed in the next 2 minutes). That is a VERY long time between kids. Your elder children probably will have more of a relationship with each other than with any as-yet unborn children, given the near-generational difference.

Beyond that, I hope you have other aspects to your relationship beyond children.

Talk to your boyfriend. Find out where his head is - and while he's sober.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2015 12:24 pm
Ha! In 5 years, you might be a grandma.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2015 12:26 pm
@Bammalynn28,
Bammalynn28 wrote:
We don't have the kind of income that would allow for a reversal surgery or adoption.

then you probably can't afford to put a third child through college/university either, so stop while you're ahead

have a serious talk with your boyfriend about all of this

______

I was your age about 20 years ago and chose to end a relationship with a younger partner who I felt would regret not having children. By that time I had made the decision not to have biological children. He always said he was fine with it. Now I wonder if we should have talked about the adoption route more - I was the one who kiboshed the idea since I was trying to push him toward having his own biological children.
0 Replies