What good does religion offer the world today?

Sturgis

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 08:09 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
I am ordained clergy so your claim that I don't know good and bad well, The Bible Tells Me So...

Yes however he reads the bible in its original languages.

https://able2know.org/topic/71294-26#post-6214896
Leadfoot

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 08:11 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
"Moderation in all things" is perhaps the greatest commandment
That is a tough one. Should we be moderate? Or should we be hot or cold. And what of the warning that if we are lukewarm we will be spewed out of God's mouth.

Perhaps it is like Asimov's rules of robotics. There are priorities. In commandments, the first takes precedence over those that follow. That one has to be either a hot or cold thing.

TheCobbler

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 08:37 am
@Leadfoot,
Moderation rather than god burning his/her tongue or getting freeze brain... Smile
Leadfoot

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 08:40 am
@TheCobbler,
I do like my coffee hot and my water ice cold.
TheCobbler

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 08:45 am
@Sturgis,
I studied the Bible in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek, though I do not claim to know these "ancient" languages fluently it is still the same crap in a different tongue.

The ancient languages can be studies through any exhaustive concordance of the Bible it is not only for the "elitists" who think only they know what the books says.

The English translation, in most cases, gives the true intent and meaning of the verses.

King James did decree a penalty of death to any translator who erroneously translated verse.
Leadfoot

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 08:50 am
@TheCobbler,
Sounds like you do know your bible history.

What convinced you it was crap? Just the homophobic and misogyny rants or what?
TheCobbler

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 08:51 am
@Leadfoot,
I like my decaf coffee sometimes cold sometimes hot but not cold enough to freeze me or hot enough for 3rd degree burns...

Science says the body prefers liquids at room temperature, they absorb into the body better.

"Cold water is not as good for hydration as room temperature. The theory is that the cold water causes the blood vessels surrounding stomach to shrink, slowing absorption."

http://www.bewellbuzz.com/general/cold-or-warm-water-whats-better/
TheCobbler

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 08:52 am
@Leadfoot,
When Jesus allowed a gentile woman to continue to refer to herself as "a dog" that was the final straw...
AugustineBrother

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 08:53 am
@TheCobbler,
SIMPLE...when you see someone freely join a believing community you can only conclude that they see some good and that is their vote.

But you assume the opposite AND commit the logical fallacy of saying that you should tell others what is in their own good while at the same time not letting anyone tell you the same thing !!!

I do know your type thoroughly. Answer the following question : What is your view of the following

On December 10, 1948 the General Assembly of the United Nations adopted and proclaimed the Universal Declaration of Human Rights...
Article 18:
Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.
TheCobbler

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 08:53 am
@Sturgis,
A moderate person does not kill (murder).
AugustineBrother

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 08:55 am
@TheCobbler,
But which is the definer and which the result?

He does not kill therefore he is a moderate
OR
He is a moderate and therefore he does not kill

WIthout that distinction you won't know who has acted against their beliefs. And THAT does happen Wink
cicerone imposter

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 08:57 am
@AugustineBrother,
You're trying to make sense of a non sequitur.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 09:05 am
@AugustineBrother,
Religion radicalizes and facilitates bigotry, hate and yes, murder.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 09:06 am
@AugustineBrother,
Freedom of religion does not legitimize any particular religion.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 09:22 am
Love in moderation equals living in moderation. Smile
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 10:28 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
I like my decaf coffee sometimes cold sometimes hot but not cold enough to freeze me or hot enough for 3rd degree burns...

Science says the body prefers liquids at room temperature, they absorb into the body better.
You can't negate a principle by taking it out of the realm that it applies. Yes, olive oil at cooking temperature or liquid CO2 would not be pleasant to drink.

And that is a good illustration of how living by the findings of science alone is not compatible with humans. A good red wine is ok at room temp but I can't think of anything else that is not more pleasurable when either hot or cold.

Room temperature Coke makes me want to spew...
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 10:30 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
When Jesus allowed a gentile woman to continue to refer to herself as "a dog" that was the final straw...
I missed that. Where please?
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 08:42 am
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13537740_10154346671904577_7620689867226269229_n.jpg?oh=c823bce11dd450a1fed775431919e16c&oe=57F81A7A
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 08:53 am
@TheCobbler,
What if I said pretty please?
0 Replies

momoends

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 05:26 pm
@Leadfoot,
honestly, if you had someone even more important than a son, which means for me you were gifted with a precious and rare privilege, and you gave that person up.... you should be punished and disgraced by God.... for me it´s like you made an Idol out of god... worshipping the image but not the message....