Anyone hear like blues?

Walter Hinteler

Wed 13 Jan, 2016 10:36 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Since I saw them in the 60's ...

layman

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 12:21 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Good tunes, Walt. Here's Chuck doin chuck-type lyrics in a blues style, eh?

0 Replies

layman

Sat 16 Jan, 2016 01:08 am
Elmore, basically doin Robert's "Dust My Broom," with lyrical variations, eh?

0 Replies

layman

Fri 22 Jan, 2016 12:36 am
Chuck Berry tellin his personal tale, how Muddy Waters helped him, etc., with a blues tune, eh?

0 Replies

layman

Fri 22 Jan, 2016 12:50 am
Muddy and some Mick boy doin Robert Johnson's delta anthem, "walkin blues," about 35 years after Robert bought the farm.

0 Replies

layman

Fri 22 Jan, 2016 06:16 am
Elmore, slidin his self some slide:

0 Replies

layman

Thu 28 Jan, 2016 01:10 am
Homesick James, doin an extended live version of his tune, "Gotta move." His cousin, Elmore James, who learned from Homesick, covered this tune, as have many others, such as George Thorogood and Fleetwood Mac.

0 Replies

layman

Thu 28 Jan, 2016 01:17 am
At an older age, R. L. Burnside was playin juke joints with his three adult sons. They learned early. Here's a clip of R.L. playin on this front porch with his family and friends. One of his boys, about 9 years old, who you can hardly see at first because he's so short, plays drums on this John Lee Hooker boogie tune:

0 Replies

layman

Thu 28 Jan, 2016 04:53 am
R. L. as a smiling, younger man playing at a house party for a buncha gangsta types on the south side of Chicago. The tune name, "Goin Down South," was prophetic. Within a year's time his pappy, two of his brothers, and two uncles were all murdered there. They were gunnin for him next and he headed back down south.

Even back in Mississippi, trouble seemed to find him. Kinda like Stagger Lee, he had to cap a guy who got belligerent after he won $400 from him in a craps game.

The Judge asked him: "Did you shoot him in self-defense?" R.L. said "No, sir, I shot him in the head."

The Judge asked him if he intended to kill him. R.L. said "I didn't mean to kill nobody. I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head and two times in the chest. Him dying was between him and the Lord."

He ended up getting a 5 year sentence on the Parchman Farm chain gang, but was released after six months, so no biggie there, eh? His boss had some pull and needed R.L. because he was a good tractor operator, ya know?

0 Replies

SOple

Thu 28 Jan, 2016 07:39 am
Good! i like this!
https://www.google.com
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 08:20 am

The woman who reinvented the blues: Ma Rainey
Always on the stage with an ostrich feather in one hand and a gun in the other. (On the photo with her Georgia Jazz Band in 1924 or 25.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 23 Nov, 2016 01:05 pm
The Snooks, eh?

0 Replies

layman

Wed 23 Nov, 2016 01:39 pm
Blind Willie with some piedmont style, ragtime blues.

0 Replies

layman

Wed 23 Nov, 2016 04:19 pm
Roll em Pete!

Big Joe Turner and Pete Johnson, rockin back in 1938

0 Replies

layman

Wed 23 Nov, 2016 05:00 pm
This song is generally done as "she done moved to Kansas City" (Honey, where they don't allow you), dating back to Jim Jackson in 1927. Charlie Patton used it as "gunna move to Alabama" in 1929. Here Brownie and Sonny alter it a little, and Brownie throws in some kazoo for some fun.

0 Replies

layman

Thu 24 Nov, 2016 06:31 am
I may have posted this one before, I don't remember, but one of the lines from that Snooky Pryor tune I posted came from this classic, by good ole J.B. Lenoir. Worth posting on it's own merit:

cicerone imposter

Thu 24 Nov, 2016 12:37 pm
@layman,
Many years ago when I used to travel to Chicago, a small group of us that included Walter, joefromchicago, and JPB, used to go to the House of Blues.
layman

Thu 24 Nov, 2016 12:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Anyone who likes blues has at least one socially redeeming quality, eh, Al?

You can't be a total fraud and still like blues, I figure.
0 Replies

layman

Fri 25 Nov, 2016 01:09 pm
What is this coffeehouse mess all about?

0 Replies

Ceili

Fri 25 Nov, 2016 01:27 pm
http://www.folkways.si.edu/folkways-collection-podcast-series-ckua-radio/music/smithsonian

If you've got the time, this is an excellent collection of pod casts from the Smithsonian and a wonderful public radio statioin CKUA - home of Holger Petersen (owner and producer of Stony Plain Records - a lot of great blues artists record here.)
These 24 1hr podcasts showcase Moses Asch's - Folkways Collection.
It's a fascinating look at the timeline of American music, from porches to arenas. From forgotten blues artists to some of the most famous musicians in any genre.
There is a ton of blues in this series. Hope you enjoy it.